Quantcast

super newbie question..

M3TL

Chimp
Oct 1, 2011
Costa Mesa, CA
im not sure what to call it but the clicking sound from the rear of the bike... how come their is different sounding ones... as in louder ones.. is it simply just a hub or gearing? benifits?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
It's the design of the hub. How many teeth are in it, what type of pawls are in it, etc.
Some people like noisy hubs, and some don't.
It doesn't have anything to do with your gearing.
Some of the louder ones can have better engagement, and less slack. But not necessarily.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Exactly, for example the new Profile Totem hub has 240 points of engagement. It buzzes like a chainsaw, sounds really awesome.

M3TL

Chimp
Oct 1, 2011
Costa Mesa, CA
Ok. I think I got it.. so more engagement means better rolling? More speed from jump to jump? I'm going to be upgrading my rear hub only soon and its a stock 10mm hub 36 spoke.. what would be a good high engagement hub then? With those same specs.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
More engagement just means less slack. You'll engage very quickly going from freewheeling to pedaling.
Helpful if you are racing, fairly immaterial for most riding. I've never gone for the high-end hubs myself, they are really expensive, and standard hubs seem to work just fine for me!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
There's a retarded rumor going around the trials world that louder is better. People are stripping the oil/grease out of their freewheels and riding them dry. Then it wears out in 3 months.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I forgot about trials... quick engagement is a big plus there, I imagine.
Pedal kicks with a sloppy hub would be a PITA.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
There's a retarded rumor going around the trials world that louder is better.
not only in the trials world, unfortunately. Bmx kids are all over it as well.
That being said, take a loud hub and grease it. Same hub, same engagement but quiet. Byebye rumor!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I forgot about trials... quick engagement is a big plus there, I imagine.
Pedal kicks with a sloppy hub would be a PITA.
Funny thing, the chinese company echo has come out with a 108 point freewheel that blows everything out of the water. Way, way better than any freewheel from France or America.