Quantcast

Surly LHT ?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Anyone familiar with it?

Looks like something that might work for me. My one concern is that it's 26" wheels. I'm not sure I want that for a 'roadie'.

Thoughts?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
cuz of the frame or the 26" wheels or both?

a real shame as it looks like a really nice multi-purpose frame.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I helped set up four friends for a 5 month South America tour on LHTs. They did a bunch of research and wanted bikes that would hold up when they were out in the middle of nowhere with hundreds of miles of road between them and the nearest bike shop. They were also slightly concerned that Paraguay only has around 50% of its roads paved.

If I remember right, the LHT switchs to 700c at the 56cm frame size. I thought it made a sweet touring bike for the price, but for a real road bike...I guess it depends on what your goals are. The 26" wheels make a good deal of sense for touring, especially on long tours in remote places, but they kind of limit your rim choices (26" rims tend to be wider, encouraging/forcing you to run wider tires...). You also need larger (and less common) gearing if you want to go the same speed with the same cadence w/ 26ers instead of 700s. Keeping up the top end speed isn't such a big deal touring, but it might or might not be depending on your road biking goals.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If I remember right, the LHT switchs to 700c at the 56cm frame size.
The 26" wheels make a good deal of sense for touring, especially on long tours in remote places, but they kind of limit your rim choices (26" rims tend to be wider, encouraging/forcing you to run wider tires...).
Right.

I really like the frame, but I'm not sure I want 26" rims.

Is there a way to put a bigger wheel on or at least one that isn't as wide? Would a 650b work?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Right.

I really like the frame, but I'm not sure I want 26" rims.

Is there a way to put a bigger wheel on or at least one that isn't as wide? Would a 650b work?
What size are you looking to buy?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
to get the geometry numbers and also to get the best scoop possible of when they'll be available. Maybe youcould get in on a few early Interbike specific frames/bikes. Ya never know.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I want one of these bikes as well, only set up for touring/commuting with MTB gears, bigger tires, etc. In fact, I hate my regular road bike more and more and wish for a LHT.

I should also add that Ive owned two surly bikes in the past, an Instigator and a 1x1 and both were excellent bikes and I regret no longer owning thiem.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I want one of these bikes as well, only set up for touring/commuting with MTB gears, bigger tires, etc. In fact, I hate my regular road bike more and more and wish for a LHT.
The complete LHT bike comes with mtb cassette, yeah? Plenty of room for any kind of fenders too.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The complete LHT bike comes with mtb cassette, yeah? Plenty of room for any kind of fenders too.
Yeah, I like the complete except for a few details which would almost be worth just piecing one together mostly from parts I already have.
Id rather go with MTB rim brakes, downtube shifters, a decent set of cranks and headset etc. so I dont know how Id feel about buying a complete and making all those changes. Plus I have thomson stem/post etc. already, so not sure a complete is worth the money.

Honestly, I wish the 56 came with 26"wheels so Im in the opposite boat of you.