Quantcast

Surveryor's Epic

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Derek and I were looking for a new ride on Saturday so we pulled out our maps and guide books and found this diddy. It's called Surveryor's Epic because it's 33.2 miles, around 4000' of elevation gain from what I can tell from the book, and 5-8 hours long. Here is the view from the starting of the ride. That's Mt. Hood!

It starts with a short road ride to a dirt road climb and then a climb up some really steep singletrack to Bald Butte.

Fall colors representin

The book mentions pushing and hiking, but I suck at hiking so I had to ride it. :biggrin: At the top you are treated to a view of Mt. Hood before descending a trail covered with death rocks.

At the bottom you get to the start of Surveyor's Ridge. This singeltrack was a blast. It's riddled with little rock sections, rolling sidehill, more viewpoints, and a few climbs.

We popped out on a fireroad after about 12 miles of singletrack, turned right and headed to the beginning of the Dog River downhill. In the book it is described as a bomber singeltrack descent, better than sex, and mentions that advanced riders will love the tight switchbacks and hair raising open-it-up traverses - so we were ready for heaven. I was a bit disappointed to find we had to climb for another 2 miles or so before we got to the total downhill section.

I really like this picture. The dust and sun ray makes it look surreal.

The book was close, it is a total dream as far as speed and fun goes. At the end of Dog River we hit the road again and took that back to our car.

Go Ridemonkey!

In all, it took us a tad over 5 hours at a good clip, no mechanicals, no flats, and plenty of grins. I must say, it was one of those rides where you feel like you are climbing all day though.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Surveyors has always been on the Hood River trip list. But, somehow, I keep driving farther south..... There's a whole weeks worth of riding right there.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Surveyors has always been on the Hood River trip list. But, somehow, I keep driving farther south..... There's a whole weeks worth of riding right there.
I know!!! I have been trying to knockout rides I haven't done this year but there are just toooo many within a couple hours. This was only my second ride in the Hood area and I will be back.

Y

yadadada

nice pics! looks like a really sweet ride! the pic of Mt Hood is sooo gorgeous!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hmm weird that 4 grand of vert seemed like alot of climbing spread out over 30 miles.

Nice pic of the volcano which happens to be that bastard one that broke my leg.:bonk: :biggrin:

And what's the "real" story on the descent that's supposed to be better than sex...:brow:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I know!!! I have been trying to knockout rides I haven't done this year but there are just toooo many within a couple hours. This was only my second ride in the Hood area and I will be back.

Ok then. Meet you guys half way some time?