Quantcast

Suspension: Air vs. Coil

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Coil all the way for me. Then again, my bike weighs 37 lbs. and I'm really slow. :D

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I like the feel and performance of coil (Which I have)....

But dang I could shave 1.5 pounds off my bike if I went air! :)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'd say for lighter riders doing any kind of riding all the way up to, but not including, decent sized drops, an air shock is the way to go. Modern air shocks, with dual air chambers and super-slick anodizing/coatings, are almost as plush as coil shocks, more tunable, and WAY lighter.

The downside is that the seals have to stand up to every force that the shock does, and if they fail you're SOL on a ride. So if you're doing big drops or you weigh a lot, you're probably going to blow a seal eventually which is a pain. In coil forks, even if you blew a seal, you'd only lose your damping and you'd still be able to ride home.

Also, all air shocks (cane creek) don't have oil to absorb heat generated on long bumpy runs so that can stiffen them up, but I rarely hear anyone complain of that problem.
So if you don't mind checking your air pressure once a week or so, keep the shock fairly clean, don't do drops taller than you, and weigh < a buck-eighty, get an air shock.

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
I got an air shock because the bikes I was looking at that had coil/oil were way to soft for my weight (210) and it would take over 6 weeks to get a stiffer coil from rock shocks since they were on back order. I like having an air shock now because I can big adjustments in the way the shock feels for different rides in one minute with the use of my shock pump.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
I saw that RS makes the SID Race rear shock in 7.875 i2i... has anyone considered using something like this on a 6" travel bike? (i have the '02 BigHit). Weight would be the main reason, but is it at all sane?