Quantcast

Suspension experts, I have questions

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
This is more or less educational for me- There's a rear shock (vivid) that came off of a Wilson last year. 9.5x3.0. On the side there's a sticker with "ML" on it. The "M" is in a blue box and the "L" is in the red box.

Here's my questions-
I assume the blue box represents the compression tune and the red box is rebound?

Besides the Wilson, which other frames will this shock work on?

Can you tell by that info if a shock like this would be a choice for a progressive or regressive suspension frame? How?

Thanks.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Correct on the tunes. Blue=Compression Red=Rebound

What bike is it going on? as long as travel/overall leverage rate is similar to the wilson it might work out just fine.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
take this with a grain of salt

but the vivid r2c's are somewhat linear. I have the exact same shock. I HAD a DHX RC4 on my DW-DHR ( which is already a pretty progressive frame ) combined with the older style RC4's ( fat shafts ) it made it ramp up ALOT towards the end ( possibly mid travel too )
the vivid even'd everything out. smooth as snot through all of the travel, high speed small chunder and the bit hits. ramps up perfectly. I have been bottoming out a bit more but thats just because I have been drinking alot of beer.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
So I will take it with a grain of salt, but isn't the DW link "regressive". Meaning that as it gets into the travel it will use all of it instead of ramping up?

Dcamp - it's not going on anything yet I guess. I'm just curious if that tune would work on a VPP but not on a Horst link or something along those lines.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I will take it with a grain of salt, but isn't the DW link "regressive". Meaning that as it gets into the travel it will use all of it instead of ramping up?

Dcamp - it's not going on anything yet I guess. I'm just curious if that tune would work on a VPP but not on a Horst link or something along those lines.
dw links change depending on model. The turner DHR is rising/flat/rising. The old sunday was rising/falling at the end. Most VPP bikes are falling then rising, like an "n".

As for the tune, from my understanding overall tune on an unassisted coil shock like the vivid has more to do with the overall leverage rate of the bike, rather than the leverage curve. ie that shock should work on many other bikes, except for potentially a v10, which has a pretty high overall leverage rate, to my knowledge. anything that gets 8" of travel out of a 3" travel shock is PROBABLY going to need a similar base tune on the shock. Some people tune based on pedaling performance of the bike (ie more low speed compression when you have less anti-squat) but that's kind of garbage thinking on DH bikes. Tune for the course and worry less about pedaling.

Tuning for weird shock curves usually comes with the use of boost valves and bottom out chambers. For example, my relatively linear GT performed worse with a vanilla RC (which has no air assist) than it does with an RC4 and the bottom out cranked. That provides me with a little bottom out protection deep in the travel. Many bikes are more progressive than the GT and don't inherently need the bottom out "boost". At the same time, my compression and rebound tunes are probably not dissimilar to what you would find on any other bike with 220mm of travel and a 3" shock. For another example, most people seemed to like the Sunday with a fat-shaft RC4 and the boost valve, which helped to correct the bottom out digression while still performing well with the rising rate in the first 80% of travel.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
the Jedi is another one with a linear/mildly progressive curve that works really well with the fat shaft RC4 and air boost.

I'm about 250 geared up and use a 500 lb spring plus air assist on the Jedi. I paid for push' modifications to the shock, and they muscled up the rebound circuit. (technician confirmed from a dyno reading that the unmodified RC4 I had wasn't hitting AndreXTR's "critical damping point" even with the rebound dial maxed out. The shock also was set with almost maximum high speed compression, that made it feel overly harsh on anything other than jump landings. Push dialed that back a lot. The shock was originally stock on a V10.4 and salvaged for a jedi build. Seems strange to have so much high speed compression set from the factory on a progressive frame like the V10?

I'm very happy with the way the RC4/Jedi combo is working since push modified the shock. It feels really nice on general trail bumps, and still lets you down easy landing from jumps.