Quantcast

SUVs- Sociopathic Vehicles???

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
I read in Consumer Reports or something similar that the EPA measures pollutants based on the mass of the stuff in the exhaust. Nothing else.

So if the limit to be approved under EPA limits is hypothetically 20g per hour and all cars on the road are under this limit then the biggest engines are actually the least offensive polluters.

Huh? You say.

Well if the 1600cc engine in a Toyota emits under 20g per hour and a 454 in a Chevy Suburban also emits under 20g per hour then by virtue of displacement the smaller engine is by far the greater polluter. Of course the 454 uses more gas, but it is emiting far fewer pollutants per cu in of displacement, and per gallon than the 1600cc engine.

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
here and there, sometimes
terrorists have rights too, ya know. Who are we to stop supporting the ways they make money? We can't just let them starve to death. Sheesh. I support with my 99 Expedition. 13-15MPG, lots of stop and go.

Eddie420

Chimp
Dec 26, 2001
Sydney,Australia
Originally posted by Damn True
I read in Consumer Reports or something similar that the EPA measures pollutants based on the mass of the stuff in the exhaust. Nothing else.

So if the limit to be approved under EPA limits is hypothetically 20g per hour and all cars on the road are under this limit then the biggest engines are actually the least offensive polluters.

Huh? You say.

Well if the 1600cc engine in a Toyota emits under 20g per hour and a 454 in a Chevy Suburban also emits under 20g per hour then by virtue of displacement the smaller engine is by far the greater polluter. Of course the 454 uses more gas, but it is emiting far fewer pollutants per cu in of displacement, and per gallon than the 1600cc engine.
Dude don't try to justify owning a SUV it just doesn't work:rolleyes: Yup the SUV uses more gas. Not good. I'm pretty sure a little toyota would spew out less crap than a big SUV....
All the 454 cubic inch fumes would add up to more overall. In short SUV burns more fuel and spews out more crap than a small car....DUH!!!!:D

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Originally posted by Damn True

Huh? You say.

and a 454 also just sounds cooler!:D

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I think everyone needs a huge gas guzzling truck/suv. The sooner we get rid of the gas the sooner we can switch to cleaner forms of fuel such as hydrogen.

So use it up folks, the quicker we use it up means the less I have to hear people bitch.

:monkey: