Quantcast

Switching frames

I just bought a new frame, and I was thinking of transferring the parts on my own, instead of getting a bike shop to do it. Does anyone have any tips for this?
Also, what tools will I need?
BTW, the frame comes with a front derailleur, so I won't need to switch that.
-Thanks in advance, Justin

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's probably not cost-effective to buy a headset press (and whatever tool you use to pull the cups -- a chisel? hmm) so I'd advise going to your LBS and asking them to pull the old headset and bb, and mount said pieces on the new frame. Once done, you should only need allen wrenches, screwdrivers (for limit screws on the derailleurs), and some thread lock. Good luck!

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
Originally posted by Toshi
It's probably not cost-effective to buy a headset press (and whatever tool you use to pull the cups -- a chisel? hmm) so I'd advise going to your LBS and asking them to pull the old headset and bb, and mount said pieces on the new frame. Once done, you should only need allen wrenches, screwdrivers (for limit screws on the derailleurs), and some thread lock. Good luck!
having managed an LBS in the past I know we charge an arm and a leg for even the most minute service..Unless, you're blond, 5'8" and pretty..even cute.
anyways, you can use a flat head screw driver to knock the HS cups off the frame. Do this gently though. I have used a homemade HS press (wood planks and a thread vise) but for $25-30 labor charge to get it properly, it's worth it. If you don't have the BB cup tool..buy one, you will utilize it down the road..

good luck

Ozzer

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Toshi
I made a headset press tool for $4 out of an 18" piece of 1/2" threaded rod, a couple of large washers, and the appropriate nuts for the rod. Works like a charm! Add that cost to the cost of the cup remover thing (about $15), the allen wrenches, the BB tool, and the screwdriver, and you're still coming in way under what a shop would do the job for.

If you're serious about doing your own bike work, pick up a copy of Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance. It's well worth the investment. Better yet, ask for it for Christmas!

Old_Dude

Monkey
. . . pick up a copy of Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance. It's well worth the investment . . .
This is very true. I have learned a lot from reading this book - a must have even if you'll only do the basic, simple stuff it'll help a lot.

I find the Zinn book very motivating - my bike's in the basement now, waiting for me to go down & do something to it. Problem is, it's new & everything has been lubed, adjusted & checked 20 times already. They don't have a section in the book for pulling a dent from the frame, however.

Now, if I could just get those boots on the forks . . .

do it even if you go out and buy a headset press and cup removers but if your going to do it find out how and get tools that will work i know from working as a wrench that half of the stuff we do is fixes people tried and then f up . so read a book look at pictures and worst comes to worst you go to the shop anyways:monkey:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by JustinW
I just bought a new frame, and I was thinking of transferring the parts on my own, instead of getting a bike shop to do it. Does anyone have any tips for this?
Also, what tools will I need?
BTW, the frame comes with a front derailleur, so I won't need to switch that.
-Thanks in advance, Justin
Try and do it yourself if you can...the knowledge you will get from it will save you money down the road should you need some minor repair.....after a while you will be able to do anything to your bike within reason...I started with 5 tools and now I have everything to build a complete bike from the ground up except a trueing stand (next on the list)....A book would definitely be a step in the right direction though.....D

the pic below is of the $10 headset press I made at home depot.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by BMXman

Try and do it yourself if you can...the knowledge you will get from it will save you money down the road should you need some minor repair.....after a while you will be able to do anything to your bike within reason...I started with 5 tools and now I have everything to build a complete bike from the ground up except a trueing stand (next on the list)....A book would definitely be a step in the right direction though.....D

the pic below is of the $10 headset I made at home depot.
I have almost the exact same home depot headset tool except I also picked up a couple of flat PVC pipe fittings for washers. Makes me less nervous w/ plastic against the headset...
I learned everything I know wrenching my own bikes as a teenager and asking....well asking almost too many questions.
Good luck!

taylor

Chimp
Nov 28, 2001
Regina,Sask
Here is a pic that someone had posted(on Ridemonkey?)of a homemade headset press.I would definately read as much as possible.Here is a link I found.Semi informative,nothing too deep.Read,Read,Read as much as you can,your bike and parts are not cheap and some can be easily damaged.All the best of luck.....

Attachments

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
I agree with these guys, you can easily make your own headset press. Buy the bb tool they are cheap enough and you can always use it later. the Allens are a given. It's pretty easy to build your own ride and if your not sure after you are done you can take it ot a shop for a "Tune-UP Specail" that usually runs about $35 around here. Good luck!!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Ozzer

having managed an LBS in the past I know we charge an arm and a leg for even the most minute service..Unless, you're blond, 5'8" and pretty..even cute.
Does my hair count as blond?:p :p :p

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
Originally posted by Heidi

Does my hair count as blond?:p :p :p
Disclaimer: Do not let your husband read this:

Your hair counts as blond and you count for the rest of the good stuff. Some women were just placed on Earth...God had a masterplan when he spawned you..the Devil himself was so jealous that God beat him to it in creating you...;)

Oz

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Originally posted by Ozzer

Disclaimer: Do not let your husband read this:

Your hair counts as blond and you count for the rest of the good stuff. Some women were just placed on Earth...God had a masterplan when he spawned you..the Devil himself was so jealous that God beat him to it in creating you...;)

Oz
no freggin' wonder you get all the babes in south Cali? ;)

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
Originally posted by Acadian

no freggin' wonder you get all the babes in south Cali? ;)
I am nobody here...a lil blimp of dot in the femmes' radar screen always mistaken to be a long and gone bird Dodo...

I'm trying to get transfered back to SF..where my life is minus the psycho ex-GF. But my boss won't have any of it...he hates to lose his Motocross buddy (and I don't even ride enough Moto to be his Moto buddy)... Maybe a dirtmuffin here in SD will change all that and make living here worthwhile. Shoot, I'll even drive up to LA for a dirtmuffin worth spending time with...
Now wasn't this thread supposed to be about switching frames????

Oz (too lazy to type the rest of ..zer as in Ozzer, but type this long footnote anyways which is longer than ..zer)

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
Originally posted by Heidi

Yep, anyone know how much the typical charge is to swap everything over?
most shops charge about $100 or so.... for blonds maybe a lil cheaper..
I charge nothing but good compliments to blondes in distress...
if you need some work done on a complete bike, let me know.. I'm local and have pretty much all the tools

Nizmeister

"Manchild"
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters

Two hours at the going rate? Thirty or forty bucks plus miscellaneous materials?

J
I just got a quote from my LBS If I take it in without wheels the he will do it for £150!

Sorry but I am planning to do it myself!