Quantcast

SX Trail: Opinions?

static9

Chimp
Jun 17, 2004
Santa Cruz, Ca
I am planning on getting the 06 sx trail. It is replacing a demo9, so it will be used for dh/fr. Do you guys think it's too heavy for a 6.6" bike? The reason i ask is because i'm also considering the Enduro Expert. It's 6" and 7 lbs less than the sx but i don't know that it would stand up to my riding. I don't do much in the way of drops, but i do ride fast and hard. Anyone who has an sx trail, how much does it weigh?

I am going to UC Santa Cruz this fall, and will have all those trail as my backyard (Norcal riders know what i'm talking about). Might i be better off with a demo 8 or maybe a VP free? i have ridden my demo 9 there before so i have experience, but could i get away with an SX?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
my 06 SXTrail I is around 39 pounds bone stock. Now I do plan on swapping out to a ti coil, and putting a ibeam sadle/post combo on + new lighter pedals, that should get the bike down around 37 easy - maby less if I go to tubless.

Now as for abuse my self Im swapping out form a bighit dh, I dont miss the extra travel. for the area where I live the sx is all I need. It handles all the drops and gaps we have, thats drops around 12-15ft and 20 foot gaps. I only really bottomed the bike once so far.

I dont think you should go to the enduro expert, the SXT is a better bike for a riders use to a big rig.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
If you are looking for a lighter bike to replace the Demo9, besides getting a Demo8, the SX is the next best thing.

monke880

Chimp
Dec 11, 2005
Ojai, SoCal
SX Trail is what you need. The SC Trails aren't super hard-core. They're smooth, fast, and flowy with some jumps. You don't need a full on DH rig plus you want to be able to ride up that fireroad/gravel road to get to the singletrack. I rode my 04 SX there and the short travel felt fast and smooth. I wouldn't want a big pig of a DH bike. The SX Trail is the heaviest bike I'd want there.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I swapped out the factory wheels, dumped the crappy 66R for 66SL and mine is down around 34lbs....just don't ride it like your demo 9, because they can be broken.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Trails in UCSC are mellow, you don't need a big bike though they're pretty fun. If you're more of a shuttle guy who likes DH and drops and jumps and stuff, the SX Trail is a great bike for Santa Cruz. The Enduro would be great if you like climbing too and you'll stay away from the bigger stunts.

Jan 28, 2006
Ca
I live in the Santa Cruz area also so I ride these trails. I was thinking of buying a used D9 but the SXT seems like a good option too. I was wondering if the SXT will handle whistler too.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
afromandookie said:
I live in the Santa Cruz area also so I ride these trails. I was thinking of buying a used D9 but the SXT seems like a good option too. I was wondering if the SXT will handle whistler too.
On leelikesbikes, there was a guy that rode an SX Trail at whister over a Demo. He could have gotten either, but he stuck w/ the SXT. I forget who it was, but they hit the Clown Shoes drop and everything.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Here with this build on a med frame i had it at a little under 37 lbs, keep in mind that was wiht 6" hayes Mag Brakes.

And no thier is no flat spot on the rims, it is just a glar.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
afromandookie said:
Without a doubt the SXT is great bike for Whistler, i rode one for a day there and hit all the things i did on a bigger bike. I think the only thing id really change would be put a 7"SC fork on it to just slacken the head angle a little. Definately a really fun bike and it really shone in Boneyard