Quantcast

Syria Might be Next...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
US tells Syria to co-operate or risk conflict
From Tim Reid in Washington

PRESIDENT BUSH yesterday accused Syria of having chemical weapons. In the clearest sign yet that Washington is turning its sights on Damascus’ links to terrorism, two of his most senior Cabinet members also warned the country against harbouring Iraqi officials.

READ MORE

A couple other linx
Syria Once Again Is Target of U.S. Ire
Israel Puts Pressure on Syria

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by N8
US tells Syria to co-operate or risk conflict
From Tim Reid in Washington

PRESIDENT BUSH yesterday accused Syria of having chemical weapons. In the clearest sign yet that Washington is turning its sights on Damascus’ links to terrorism, two of his most senior Cabinet members also warned the country against harbouring Iraqi officials.
I wasn't aware that there were any retrictions (UN or otherwise) being placed on Syria about their weapons, and if there isn't Washington can't legally do anything about that can they?

If they are harboring fugitives, we can't just invade their country to go and get them. Even if we did the odds of finding the people they are looking for seems pretty low to me, especially because they could just get out at the first sign of trouble.

Shouldn't Washington be concentrating on North Korea anyways?

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Now Damnit. Iran and North Korea worked long and hard to be in the Axis of Evil. How come Syria is jumping to the front of the line. I think Iran traded them their spot for a battery of SAMs, a first round draft pick and seven flat bed trucks.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Spud
Now Damnit. Iran and North Korea worked long and hard to be in the Axis of Evil. How come Syria is jumping to the front of the line.
Well now, our troops are right there already. Seems like it's just a matter of convenience more than anything. :p

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
No matter if our actions in Iraq are right or wrong, the middle east nations with a history of being hostile to the US should be crapping their pants about now. When push comes to shove we'll bomb their asses to oblivion. :monkey:

I don't think we are going to invade or take other military action against Syria, North Korea or any other nation anytime soon. Bush & Co. are just taking advantage of the current situation and world attention to make his point.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
http://www.msnbc.com/news/888057.asp

“I would say that we have seen chemical weapons tests in Syria over the past 12, 15 months,” Rumsfeld said, without giving details.
This just proves my thinking that Syria-Next(tm) was planned long before this.

Powell said in Washington that the Bush administration would “examine possible measures of a diplomatic, economic or other nature.”

“In light of this new environment, they (Syria) should review their actions and their behavior, not only with respect to who gets haven in Syria and weapons of mass destruction, but especially the support of terrorist activity,” he said.
The "warning".

I wasn't aware that there were any retrictions (UN or otherwise) being placed on Syria about their weapons, and if there isn't Washington can't legally do anything about that can they? ~ Tenchiro
hehe haha... umm, we invaded Iraq against the UN's wishes, so I can't imagine we care any more about the UN than we did then :D

I think Rumsfeld, et.al. were disappointed that Syria stood by during the Liberation and only passively helped Iraq. It's ashame really. We could have just rolled right in without any wasted time or effort. Kinda like a 2-for-1 special :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I think that most Arab nations (Iran excluded) are very nervous about what they saw happen in Iraq. The US rolled thru with little or no problem with a relatively small fighting force with disorganized (at best) resistance. The massive uprising that many Muslims thought (hoped) would happen, simply didn't. The waves of suicide bombers haven't materialized. Added to the fact that the Iraqis, besides the Saudis, had the biggest most advanced military and it simply didn't matter.

Certainly the oppressive nature of the Iraqi government and Saddam has much if not all to do with this lack of real resistance. But most Arabs in the region probably aren't that aware of the "truth" of Iraq or simply discounted the conditions as Western Propaganda. So again this leads to a certain confusion and hit upon the Arab collective confidence.

I do think that the only nation in the Middle East with reason to worry is Syria. Now this isn't to say that it would be easier in Syria. But I think that it gives the Syrians reason to think carefully about their actions. From the US perspective, I believe that it is much more likely to see the types of resistance hoped for in Iraq to come to pass in Syria.

I don't think that any action will be taken overtly against Syria, except pointed reminders of what happened across the border.