Quantcast

T.H.E. Rims, how much do they cost?

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Seems like T.H.E has fallen off the face of the earth. I haven't seen them around for a couple years now. But FYI if you do get/find those rims I hear that it is extraordinarily hard to get tires on and off of them.

Edit: You don't really want them because they match your hardtail do you?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
it is practically impossible to get a tire lever in there to mount/unmount tires. believe me, you dont want the hassle. and everyone knows that black rims are the best and go with everything.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by mcA896
it is practically impossible to get a tire lever in there to mount/unmount tires. believe me, you dont want the hassle. and everyone knows that black rims are the best and go with everything.
Your bike will be lighter too....

because black is so slimming. :rolleyes: :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Interesting concept, but possibly the stupidest rim design I've seen in a while. As if DH tires aren't ALREADY hard enough to get on and off, now we have a rim design that doesn't allow the use of tire levers...

Ugh.

Go tubeless and never worry about pinch flats, ever again.

If you want red and silver rims, buy the rim of your choice and some red and silver automotive spray paint, and go nuts. Or if the rim of your choice comes in silver, you only need the red...

I knew someone who used to dip his spokes in the color of his choice before lacing rims, too.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Originally posted by MMike
Is it my imagination, but are THE products in general basically stupid, but are priced as if they are made of gold?
They were more or less stupid, although the fenders seemed to work well. And I knew some people who liked the forks they made besides the fact that they were stupid expensive.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by dwaugh
I want them becasue they look great, and are light and strong. But if I cant get a tire off, thats not good, I'll go for singletracks when I need new rims.
I don't think they are that light...and I've never heard about their durability...'course you might have a hard time finding out their good points if you can never get a tire on...

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
the arrow rim is the most bitchin thing out there, just get tubeless and your set on strenght and weight.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Got an email back from the company...

The THE rims are currently in the stages of being redesigned to make it easier to mount a tire and are currently unavailable. I have heard of some people finding them on Ebay and some dealers still have some in stock however those were accounts of THE and not VSI so I don't have a record of which shops have them. You can keep checking our web page for updates. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Marty T.
VSI Distributing

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
The raised center eliminated pinch flats. The rim could not bite the tube unless the rim failed. The tube would be on top of the center ridge and inside the tire. It main purpose was to be able to run lower air preasure and forget about snake bites.

The center also removed the ability to put the tire bead at the lowest part of the rim to aid in installing the tire. You can still use tire irons. The rims just made the install job more difficult.

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
I can't remember which once it was, but one bike mag had to actually CUT the tires off when they tested the rims.

:rolleyes: :eek:

"And the number #1 most UNeconomical way to fix a flat....."