Quantcast

Taco Truck Advice

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's kind of weird.

here's the thing about that possible 'head gasket' replacement. There's a cylinder base gasket that does deteriorate on those. Mine probably could have used replacement as it was seeping a little. Not even enough to notice burning oil so I never messed with it. Paranoid previous owner could have seen that, freaked out, got it replaced and thought, oh yeah that must be the head gasket.

You could do the usual: drive it, feel for missing cylinders, check compression, look for white smoke a la antifreeze in the exhaust.........

All of that is still dancing around the real test though. You need a pantless test drive to see if your junk fits in that under column holster. You're not going to know if that truck is really you or not until you do ths.
I'm a little confused about what you mean by the cylinder base gasket. Doesn't really sound like that's it though. Here's my summary of the service records he sent:

upload_2017-3-5_16-21-30.png

All the clutch hydraulic work is weird, but per the records it looks like the Subaru dealer he was getting the work done at used aftermarket parts on the first two rounds, which apparently sucked, and then the used OE Toyota for the third time.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

My first truck, though mine was blue. I miss that truck. :( Maybe if I sold the ///Motorcycle the wife would let me pick this one up?

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5963783436.html

This was the last full build I did, this was pre-kids, blah, blah, blah.

'91 4" suspension, 3" body, 35's rolling 5.29 gears and posi front. I couldn't afford to do lockers in both and found the front was most effective.

The 22re was build by a guy in Sandy. Downey header, cam, bigger throttle body. That damn truck could wheel. Never got stuck and damn if I didn't try. :rofl:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The seller of the red gen 1 that @4130biker posted said that the head gasket was replaced under the prior owner, but that he could send me records. The records he sent show it being serviced at a Subaru dealer between July 2009 and June 2013, and make no mention of a head gasket replacement.
Maybe they just reflexively start changing head gaskets every 100k?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm a little confused about what you mean by the cylinder base gasket. Doesn't really sound like that's it though. Here's my summary of the service records he sent:

View attachment 124835

All the clutch hydraulic work is weird, but per the records it looks like the Subaru dealer he was getting the work done at used aftermarket parts on the first two rounds, which apparently sucked, and then the used OE Toyota for the third time.

That cam and crank seal replacement: someone's at least been in the motor. The base gasket I'm talking about is the under the housing the pistons sit in. Not the part under compression with the valves (the head). This is just what separates the crank case from the cylinders. But yeah, they leak/seep a little.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That cam and crank seal replacement: someone's at least been in the motor. The base gasket I'm talking about is the under the housing the pistons sit in. Not the part under compression with the valves (the head). This is just what separates the crank case from the cylinders. But yeah, they leak/seep a little.
Oh, you mean the oil pan gasket? That's an easy DIY and not a big deal if it spooges a little anyway.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if interested in travel there is a 1985 LHD BJ60 turbo diesel for sale with the factory 5 speed...looks pretty clean....check orlando craigslist.

$14,000

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
if interested in travel there is a 1985 LHD BJ60 turbo diesel for sale with the factory 5 speed...looks pretty clean....check orlando craigslist.

$14,000
That thing's pretty cool. Bit hard to drive before buying though, and it would be nice to see how easy one would actually be to live with...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Sorry if it's a repost, but just pull the trigger on a Ford Transit. Dont look backnow! It'll be the best of all worlds, in an economical package.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
hey Hab. saw a very clean Westphalia camper van for sale near me. has a rear folding hitch rack for bikes and a roof tray for a road bike. pop up looks in good shape. if interested I will take some pics on my route today including the phone number

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hey Hab. saw a very clean Westphalia camper van for sale near me. has a rear folding hitch rack for bikes and a roof tray for a road bike. pop up looks in good shape. if interested I will take some pics on my route today including the phone number
Westy for sale in California == $25k+ insanity.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
There is a guy driving a 1980s RR in my hood and street parking it. I am a fan. No doubt you need to sport a monocle driving it around.