Quantcast

###Taco Tuesday ●○•°●°¤

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Was chatting with a colleague about our eoy goals coming up and vacation came into conversation. Turns out, I have logged 7.6 weeks of vacation through eoy, which doesn't include my time spent just saying fuck it and not doing work on a given day or holidays. I don't think I can actually leave this job... I will never beat 2mos+ of vacation anywhere.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Went for a hike with my buddy at Volcan Barva (outside Herredia/San Jose) yesterday.

After spending 3 weeks at sea level my lungs (and legs) were a bit salty about uphill travel to not quite 10,000'

Laguna del Barva:
IMG_20231030_123749139_copy_2000x1125.jpg

As is the custom, I assess every trail for bike-ability.

While the main path was road-width, there were many rocks, roots and Costa Rican "trail enhancements" (slippery logs placed width-wise) not to mention shoe sucking mud bogs to keep things interesting.

<Steeper than it looks>

IMG_20231030_134324398_copy_1125x2000.jpg

I promised to make pizza and chocochip banana bread for my host and his siblings and kids (10 folks) tonight as departure draws nigh.

Trip paid for itself as I started on a crown installation yesterday for treefiddy (effectivo)

Medical tourism for the win!

Not sure how the dentists down here can afford //////bikes with those prices.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
HBD, W

I can also report that it’s cold out. Got to go work a few hours (from my lovely 72F home) soon

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Flying to Paris tomorrow and I feel sick. I hope it's just me being tired from not eating til 6pm.

Still worse case scenario I medicate TF out and still go. I need some time for myself.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Short Story:
”A Pole in Paris, looking for love”
Naah not looking for love. Just some time off and visiting friends. My GF has to stay at home since she decided to help someone get a new Yeti and those procedures not only cost money but also time.

Still the best coffee shop in the world is in Paris (yes I know it's weird since Paris has shit coffee). So my love for coffee will at least be satiated.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What is it?

Seriously recommend it. No bs coffee place. By reservation only (not because it was fancy but because it is small and no reservations caused problems in the past). 1 Guy who roasts and makes the coffee there. No music. No Wifi. No Take Away. You go there to drink coffee and as someone who has been in speciality coffee for 10 years nothing beats him (I hear there is some other super speciality local in Dublin). You get world brewers championship level coffee here. 88+ rated "coffe of the day" & a special menu of 92+ rated speciality coffee from the best plantations in the world roasted very lightly by Joachim. He mineralizes his own water ofc. Frozen portafilters for espresso. He also has that a milk coffee with that weird thing that happens to milk when it's flash frozen.

Also not a place where you need "a palate". The quality is noticeable for anyone I have taken there. You can have drank black tar coffee or pumpkin spice all your life and the quality is still noticeable.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Seriously recommend it. No bs coffee place. By reservation only (not because it was fancy but because it is small and no reservations caused problems in the past). 1 Guy who roasts and makes the coffee there. No music. No Wifi. No Take Away. You go there to drink coffee and as someone who has been in speciality coffee for 10 years nothing beats him (I hear there is some other super speciality local in Dublin). You get world brewers championship level coffee here. 88+ rated "coffe of the day" & a special menu of 92+ rated speciality coffee from the best plantations in the world roasted very lightly by Joachim. He mineralizes his own water ofc. Frozen portafilters for espresso. He also has that a milk coffee with that weird thing that happens to milk when it's flash frozen.

Also not a place where you need "a palate". The quality is noticeable for anyone I have taken there. You can have drank black tar coffee or pumpkin spice all your life and the quality is still noticeable.
Is there a bakery nearby? :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's why I was asking. I'm gonna get a chocolate croissant after I have my coffee.

I was taking the piss, though - I *know* there is a bakery close by... because Paris. :D
I know you were joking hence my Paris comment. Though I have to say Im yet to find a really amazing baker in Paris. Many instagram famous ones but weirdly the best pastries Ive tried were in Cannes which I'd never have suspected. Well that and Madeira Cheesecake which is the best form of Cheesecake

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think I found a set of 18" steel wheels for the wife's snow tires. I was trying to find an OE set but they all come with tires I don't need. The steelies are about $50 less than what the OE's seem to go for. I need to get her tires mounted before Thanksgiving.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think I found a set of 18" steel wheels for the wife's snow tires. I was trying to find an OE set but they all come with tires I don't need. The steelies are about $50 less than what the OE's seem to go for. I need to get her tires mounted before Thanksgiving.
you run snow tires in Oregon? seems like a great place for all weather tires

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
you run snow tires in Oregon? seems like a great place for all weather tires
Bridgestone Blizzak's. I guess they are kind of like all season but more expensive than her usual street tires, so they get swapped out in the non frozen temps.

My truck has all seasons on it and seems to do well enough.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I wish the rentals had come with snow tires last spring when we were out there...
if rentals here don't come with 'em, good luck

(and they don't)
Bridgestone Blizzak's. I guess they are kind of like all season but more expensive than her usual street tires, so they get swapped out in the non frozen temps.

next time around look into one of these newfangled ones, like the CrossClimate 2.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Those are snows. I'm having them installed onto the Audi tomorrow.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
How are you waxing? Drip wax or molten? How long does it last until you need to reapply?
I am using molten wax. MoltenSpeedWax to be precise. Been using it for getting on three years now. I really like it, massively less messy.

I personally reapply about every 10 rides or so, it could probably go longer but I am pretty fussy about my drivetrain, particularly trying to elongate the life of my cassette as much as possible as they’re quite expensive. I also enjoy doing it, it’s pretty satisfying to have a super clean chain.

Have a read of zerofrictioncycling.com.au — There’s a tonne of useful information on there.