Quantcast

tacoroos!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Seeing as Australia has no decent Mexican food and as I really like good Mexican food I decided that something had to be done. It started out as a simple taco craving, then I figured I needed to try kangaroo meet while I was down here so I created tacoroos. I was also inspired by the salsa post and made my own salsa, here is how it went down:

Salsa(note no cool name, but it is good)
4 ripe tomatos
1 brown onion
few teaspoons of honey
2 sprigs cilantro
juice from half a lime
4+ Mexican chilis
1 Green Capsicum

Food process it to desired consistancy and serve it in a bowl with chips or spread on favorite tacos. It's simple and easy(I also found it was best if the cilantro was cut up and folded in).

Tacoroos
1kilo of roo steak(we got nice quality stuff, but it's expensive)
assorted spices(we went with special Indian spice from a friend's mom)
Garlic
Tamaric
Lots of Chili powder
Powdered ginger
(there was something else, but I forget what it was, sorry..but season the meat as you like it)
Salsa
lots of cheese
no rabbit food(unless you want cilnatro on it)
Lots of tortillas
6-pack of corona
Lime

A note, kangaroo meat stinks when you first get it, but once we had the seasonings on it the stuff smelled ok. Let the spices soak in for 30+ minutes...during this drink a few beers and relax by the pool. We bbq'ed the meat, because of the little fat on this stuff it cooks quick, so once you get the grill going just toss them on for a little bit. This is also great because less cooking time means we eat sooner and that's good. Drink some beer during the bbqing. At this point my friend Jenn and I noticed we had very few beers and lots of spicy meat. To solve this problem we invited the English guy down the hall over...as long as he brought more beer. Squeeze lime over the meet(it may not do much, but makes me look like I know what I'm doing (mostly done because I had half a lime left and nothing to use it on/in). Meat is done, pile it on, go back for more and then clean up the grill when finished.

Impression:
Roo meat is tasty, it's not that tough, but it isn't fall apart in your mouth soft, I'm sure we could cook it better ways and it would be softer, but it was hot out and we were moving fast. The taste is slightly gamey, the closest comparison I could make was elk, though it's not quite as good in my opinion. The tacos turned out very well and I'd do it again if I could find more people to buy the stuff with. It also stews well and I made a small pot of stew like soup this weekend while backpacking, the meat was a bit more tender this time. I don't even think you can find this stuff in the states, but it's supposed to be healthy for you(less fat, very lean) so you could probably find it at some specialty store(read expensive). The majority of you being competent humans I'm sure you realize that this simple recipe would work well with any meat you had, but I made it with Kangaroo meat and I figure that makes it special.....ok, some pictures.

The Ito

Attachments

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
HA! Carlton COLD....drank much of those when I was in Sydney near two years ago. or should i say Caaaahhhhlton COLD. Oh that and TOOWey's New

ito

Oct 3, 2003
stinky|Dan said:
MAte, you better get onto Coopers Pale Ale soon. COldies SUCK!
I've got a 6-pack of Coopers Premium Lager in my fridge currrently...waiting the weekend when I'm done with papers. The Coldies are from the English dude. Personally I'm a James Squire fan....so many good beers down here. Tooey's Old and Pils aren't bad either...I've got some Pils in the fridge as well....stupid papers...oh well, more bbq planned for tommorrow and this weekend.

The Ito

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
JAmes Squire is nice, but you have to stick with the Coopers, preservative free = less hangover.

Dan

ito

Oct 3, 2003
stinky|Dan said:
JAmes Squire is nice, but you have to stick with the Coopers, preservative free = less hangover.

Dan
Six pack pale ale in the fridge now.....more bbq tonight...with Swedish foreign exhange students.....life is hard here :love:

The Ito

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
The Ito,

I'll think of you next time I have Los Arryos or El Sito OK?

Good luck trying the Mexican food out in Aussie land. Don't they put Kangaroo meat in Jack in the box monster tacos?

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Spunger said:
I'll think of you next time I have Los Arryos or El Sito OK?

Good luck trying the Mexican food out in Aussie land. Don't they put Kangaroo meat in Jack in the box monster tacos?
You are too kind. I don't know about the Jack in the Box tacos, I stay away from fast food unless it involves in n out after a ride.

The Ito