Quantcast

Tacticool / carry every day

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've got a BRKT Golok that I won't give up for anything but beyond that I haven't kept any BR knives. Not a fan of the fiddleback, LT Wright, Survive/GSO stuff for whatever reason. Fallkniven, Busse kin, and ESEE have been more appealing for me. The old AL Mar stuff looks amazing but man, peeps ask a ton for them.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've got a BRKT Golok that I won't give up for anything but beyond that I haven't kept any BR knives. Not a fan of the fiddleback, LT Wright, Survive/GSO stuff for whatever reason. Fallkniven, Busse kin, and ESEE have been more appealing for me. The old AL Mar stuff looks amazing but man, peeps ask a ton for them.
I have two Fallkniven folders. I looked at the F1, but ... I appreciate the handiwork of the individual craftsmen. Hand forged, hand drilled, hand ground, hand dressed. My two Fiddlebacks are "figther" models, but I admit they are on the verge of being too nice. My favorite BRs are a classic Manitou and a large Kalahari Camp II. I don't really subscribe to the bushcraft mantra.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have two Fallkniven folders. I looked at the F1, but ... I appreciate the handiwork of the individual craftsmen. Hand forged, hand drilled, hand ground, hand dressed. My two Fiddlebacks are "figther" models, but I admit they are on the verge of being too nice. My favorite BRs are a classic Manitou and a large Kalahari Camp II. I don't really subscribe to the bushcraft mantra.
You know, I find myself divided on the whole bushcraft ideology. I have several knives that fall under the "bushcraft" moniker, but they couldn't be more different. I'm on board with the LT Wright execution...thin blade, easy to sharpen steel, spear point, plain handle, 4-5" length. Makes a great all around knife that I can use in camp (except for batoning, which is dumb anyway) and wouldn't be out of place field dressing either. Not a huge fan of Scandi grinds, though I do understand their advantages. I'll take a flat or Saber thank you.

Seems like survival type knives get comingled with bushcraft knives quite a bit, despite their being large differences in their design.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Some of the Spyderco knives catch my eye. The last one I bought was a Delica for my wife, quite a few years ago now.

I keep browsing the Chris Reeve forums looking for a deal on a small folder.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I find the idea that ‘branding’ inherently confers value troubling. I agree to the extent that a certain brand may choose to use certain quality materials and processes with a certain skill useful but beyond that a certain grade of steel, a certain heat treatment is real and what confers usefulness and real value no matter who does it. Nowadays I find that more often than not brand in the end is a political or tribal idea, or a projection at least.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I find the idea that ‘branding’ inherently confers value troubling. I agree to the extent that a certain brand may choose to use certain quality materials and processes with a certain skill useful but beyond that a certain grade of steel, a certain heat treatment is real and what confers usefulness and real value no matter who does it. Nowadays I find that more often than not brand in the end is a political or tribal idea, or a projection at least.
You’ve not tried any Japanese chef’s knives have you ?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You’ve not tried any Japanese chef’s knives have you ?
Yes, my kitchen knives are such, but tbh it’s mostly because I like how they look and because my wife and I bought them from a little shop on holiday in Japan. Hard carbon core, softer wrapping. They’re a pain because they can’t go in the dishwasher. :) So yeah they are basically an ideological buy for sure.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
@StiHacka, any new pieces?

Keep talking myself into and out of a Spyderco Para 3. Owned 4 Spydercos in my life, but none that I've liked enough to keep.
I carry a Para 3 lightweight almost daily and love it. IMO, it's just the right size, and I like the locking mechanism for one-handed operation. I have a few Spydercos in rotation (Native 5 lightweight, Chaparral, Dragonfly) , but this one gets carried the most.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
This was my carry on for a recent flight to Turks and Caicos. Exactly like this. Didn't notice until I was packing my iPad for landing. Nobody else noticed either.

IMG-7193.jpg

IMG-7194.jpg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Just sell your lesser folders and get a Norseman already. :D
I appreciate the craftsmanship of the Norseman (and the name), but not sure I could see myself carrying one. All of my knives are user knives and well, I'd be hesitant to carry a $1K pocket knife...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

I appreciate the craftsmanship of the Norseman (and the name), but not sure I could see myself carrying one. All of my knives are user knives and well, I'd be hesitant to carry a $1K pocket knife...
I didn't pay $1k for mine on eBay, and it is my daily user. It's super thin profile and low weight just make it very convenient to carry. But, I get the sentiment.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I didn't pay $1k for mine on eBay, and it is my daily user. It's super thin profile and low weight just make it very convenient to carry. But, I get the sentiment.
How heavy? I don't see that listed on their site.

I keep telling myself a small Inkosi would do well in my pocket.
I've usually got my small Inkosi or a Bugout (small or large) in my pocket. They are small and light enough to be there without extraneous weight or bulk.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What do you guys do in a situation where you need a knife? Do you borrow one from someone?
Please, collectors of fancy, expensive blades never actually cut anything with them. They only flex with them and tell others how cool they and their blades are...
snarky remark aside, I really do wonder what need you have for a knife outside the house/at the cottage/camping...?

I can't think of a single instance where I thought "damn, I really could use a knife right now" but didn't have easy access to the correct tool. As a carry-over from living in France where baguette, saucisson sec and various cheeses were available anywhere you went, I have a basic wooden Opinel (actually, it's a terrible replica bought in a gift shop in Les Gets) in my glove box in case I feel the need for an impromptu picnic with locally sourced products. But I haven't needed it in the last 30 years...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I have been stuck on a mtb ride with a tube valve that had corroded itself into the rim. All I needed was a knife and had none. Luckily I found a prehistoric Native American lithic scatter and located a tertiary flake that had an extremely sharp edge. I was able to use that rock flake to cut the tube out and then made another pair of rocks into a punch and hammer.

Stone tool tech for the win! But man that knife would have been a life saver if I hadn't come across that prehistoric archeological site.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
snarky remark aside, I really do wonder what need you have for a knife outside the house/at the cottage/camping...?

I can't think of a single instance where I thought "damn, I really could use a knife right now" but didn't have easy access to the correct tool. As a carry-over from living in France where baguette, saucisson sec and various cheeses were available anywhere you went, I have a basic wooden Opinel (actually, it's a terrible replica bought in a gift shop in Les Gets) in my glove box in case I feel the need for an impromptu picnic with locally sourced products. But I haven't needed it in the last 30 years...
Rant beforehand notwithstanding....

I always carry one, but its a worker, not a cool guy Rambo/MacGruber wanna be super cool full tang folded 9M times, diamond honed, whetted with baby seal tears hand forged in a rural cave in a Japanese prefecture never before set foot in by a gaijin. Its just a humble CRKT. I do subscribe to the "...better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it..." theory, yet balk at buying $$$ blades that I will forget I am carrying and have to forfeit at security checkpoints (Done it...) lose on the trail or at somebodies house in a drunken stupor (Done that too...) in my couch to be found years later (Yep.) or lose to the gendarmes (No comment, pending consultation with my legal staff.)

I also have issues with the tough guy, MMA and survivalist wanna be guns and ammo culture that pushes customs and fighting knives on guys who have no business or purpose carrying such things. Carry a knife and it will cut you at some point. Fight or try to fight with a knife and you will get cut, stabbed or worse. Keep it sharp as a damn razor (Remember, dull knives are harder to work with...) keep it clean and well oiled, and above all respect the damn thing.

///Climbs down off of soap box, looks for his coffee///

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I always carry one, but its a worker, not a cool guy Rambo/MacGruber wanna be super cool full tang folded 9M times, diamond honed, whetted with baby seal tears hand forged in a rural cave in a Japanese prefecture never before set foot in by a gaijin. Its just a humble CRKT. I do subscribe to the "...better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it..." theory, yet balk at buying $$$ blades that I will forget I am carrying and have to forfeit at security checkpoints (Done it...) lose on the trail or at somebodies house in a drunken stupor (Done that too...) in my couch to be found years later (Yep.) or lose to the gendarmes (No comment, pending consultation with my legal staff.)

I also have issues with the tough guy, MMA and survivalist wanna be guns and ammo culture that pushes customs and fighting knives on guys who have no business or purpose carrying such things. Carry a knife and it will cut you at some point. Fight or try to fight with a knife and you will get cut, stabbed or worse. Keep it sharp as a damn razor (Remember, dull knives are harder to work with...) keep it clean and well oiled, and above all respect the damn thing.

As someone I know once said, "You don't win a knife fight, you just bleed out last".

I've carried some variation of knife/SAK/Leatherman almost every day for years. Mainly use them to open boxes or packaging, cut up foods, trim various little things that need to be trimmed. It's proven far more handy than it ever has a burden, therefore, I continue to carry one.

As to fancy knives, I own a few that most would consider higher end. Nothing custom, mind you, but more $$$ than your average knife from Dicks. Every single one gets used. I don't subscribe to buying things for the sake of collecting them, I have neither the money nor the will to do so.

Which CRKT ?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Which CRKT ?
I didnt pay $60 for it though...oof...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
To prove myself the hypocrite that I am, I am going to, in the very near future, assemble all the knives I own and display them for you, the loving public...I will be highly disappointed in myself...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
As Hardtail pointed out, bitching about the price of somebody else’s knife on a website where fat middle aged men debate the merits of $2k bicycle wheels is silly.

As for what I use my knife for, damn near everything. Not that I couldn’t just grab scissors, a box cutter, or pairing knife when required, but having to do that multiple times a day is dumb when I can just carry a knife in my pocket. I do however have lots and lots of judgement for the tactical dildos that carry multiple knives or worse yet a dumbass Karambit on the daily.