Quantcast

Tailwhips disected?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So I have come to realize that learning tricks in steps is my thing. I.e. learning one handers, then no handers, then tuck no handers.

Tailwhips are next on the agenda, but I can't seem to figure out a good way to get on them. I am the only person riding a 26 at my skatepark, so its hard for the 20 riders to give me any good tips on it. I can do foot jam tailwhips on flat ground, but when I get in the air it just seems like I can't get it right. Been working on it for a few months now and I have gotten no better than when I began.

One weird thing is, I am right foot forward and when I foot jam tailwhip, I go the way I am supposed to, counter clockwise. But in the air I cannot get it to spin that way, only clockwise. Any help from fellow park 26 riders would be greatly appreciated.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Maybe try nac nacs? might help you get used to pushing the bike away from you, hope you can see what I mean and that it helps a bit

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Don't be afraid of the opposite whip if that's what feels more natural. That's the way darren barrecloth does them. It looks weird as shlt once you realize what he's doing but it gets you there.

Every time I've tried a tailwhip just jumping to flat on something small, my bike stops at a 180. :D

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yea thats what everyone has been saying is go with that feels natural. I get into the air and kick the bike around with my right foot, and it seems like it will only go so far. I can't tell if I am trying to kick the bike too soon or what.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
it's not just a kick-around... there's a lot going on with moving your bars in a circular motion as well. look at some vids of dudes doing double and triple whips--they're doing really quick circles with the bars.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Keep the bike under you while moving the bike with your bars like cmc said. The intial kick starts it but it's about your bars.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Tailwhips are way more of a technical trick then they appear. Theres a lot more going on then just kicking the bike. I still haven't landed one but I've come pretty close so i can give you a little advice: I think the main proplem with doing them on a mtb is the front wheel is bigger and its easyer to hit it on your feet and stuff. So just practice jumping out of a fly out and kicking the bike and when you do the circular motion bring the bars out-the left-back-and then strait forward. After you can whip it around consitantly thats the easyer part. Catching the pedals has proved to be the hardest for me. Idk heres a vid from a while ago... http://vimeo.com/8133236

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
like everyone has said its all in the arms! keep the bike underneath you as best you can! depending on the jump i can flick the bike up so the back end goes up above where my bars are and then a little wrist flick brings it right underneath me and land back wheel first

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
dont feel so bad, i tried 2 into a foam pit, if the bike moved 30 degrees id be proud, for me getting it to spin at all is a chore.i kick it it moves 25 degrees than i land with my foot through the frame

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Thanks cru, it hurt but I was stoked on it haha.

Have a bunch of other completely rad crash clips. Tailwhip bails make for the best crashes. period. for example greg watts flip double whip crash or cams bar to whip easily wins the most gnarly I've seen.

Btw I found this artical: http://bmx.transworld.net/2005/02/11/tailwhip-nightmares/ you guys should take a look at. Considering BMX bikes have a 4" less wheel diameter and are generaly 2-5 lbs lighter then your average MTB were already at a dissadvantage on top of evertyhing else mentioned in there. But non the less theres tons of guys our there completely owning them.

Yeah, it sucked. That trick is the devil. It lets you get just close enough so you’re like, “All right, it’s so close. I’ll try it again.” And then you’re on your neck {laughs}.

Last edited:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
dont feel so bad, i tried 2 into a foam pit, if the bike moved 30 degrees id be proud, for me getting it to spin at all is a chore.i kick it it moves 25 degrees than i land with my foot through the frame
After a couple weeks of practicing, I can get the bike completely around and back under me in time, I just can't seem to get my feet back on... I am really starting to think I need to be doing it in the right direction.