Quantcast

Tall new trail-rider/dirt-jumper! Ride ideas?

BMX-T02

Chimp
Feb 8, 2011
Hi everyone, I'm coming back to the sport after a loooong break. Been riding in the city for a few years now, but I got married and now it's just me and the fam in the 'burbs. On the plus side, the huge backyard is just begging for a date with a Bobcat and a shovel(it helps that the wife is 100% cool with this:rockout:)! I'm looking for recommendations on a complete BMX'er to fit my 6'4", 160lb carcass. Been reading up a lot on bikes lately and my head's spinning from reading about 20's, 22's, 24's and 26's, so I figured that the best thing to do would be to get an opinion from everyone. I'm not looking to go super expensive, but I don't want a pos either, I'm pretty open so gimme whatcha got!

hydro422

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Ogden City
Whats your price range? Do you want suspension? My guess is that being 6'4" you would a bmx bike with at least a 21"tt. Something like this. http://empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9749

Also 24" bikes have been making a big come back the last few years.http://empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9777

And for a 26" I'd say maybe something like thishttp://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/dirt-street/havoc/

Idk, those are just some ideas. Most completes come spec'd pretty good these days. Hope that helps, also, when you figure out what exactly your after, the classifieds are always a good spot to search.

BMX-T02

Chimp
Feb 8, 2011
I've been kinda stuck on that Model-C since the first time that I saw it, only issue is, there doesn't seem to be any shops around that carries 'em to hook up with for a test ride:((I'm in Richmond, VA). 5-hundo also seems like a lot for a "first" bike, but it seems to be the best of the 24's as well...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've tried the model C and I don't like it. The bottom bracket is too high. Might be good for grinding, but it just rides funny.

I'm about 6' and I ride a mtb jumper with 24" wheels.
The suspension is good for my aging wrists. It'll help soak up mistakes if you're out of practice.
For frame size MTB jumpers are available in larger sizes too. I had a dobermann for years with a 23" TT. I'm now on a dartmoor which is in the 22" neighborhood. Both felt great to me.
Disc brakes are also a welcome option. Worlds better than any 990.
As for wheel size, 26s are too large for me to maneuver comfortably. 20s just look ridiculous. 24s are a good mix. small enough to be strong, big enough to roll over rougher stuff well. I'd steer clear of the 22" stuff just because it's still new and parts availability is spotty.

BMX-T02

Chimp
Feb 8, 2011
As far as suspension goes, it's not something I see as a necessity, only because I rode BMX back in the day, "graduated" when I was a little older to a 10 speed and a mtn. bike(before suspension) and then I had been riding fixed(roadie) until recently, and trust me, a fixie on a hilly downtown cobblestone street will work you something fierce. I'm also thinking that my job as an auto tech is keeping my two-wheeled dreams as simple as possible(although part of me now wants to build the track big enough to run the Subie on as well)!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Best pick #1 = Blackmarket MOB 22.5" top tube (the longest of the 4 sizes) -- However, it's expensive. $500ish. for frame only.

Best pick #2 = Transition Trail or Park "Long"
http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_TOP.cfm

Affordable, yet still rad: Haro Steel Reserve "Long"
http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/Freestyle-MTB/19/
Phil Sundbaum is like 6'6" or something is an ex-BMX'er:

As for BMX cruisers . . . . Liquid Feedback 24" is the best, Sunday Model C is popular (although I would say not great for tall guys), Fit, S&M, Specialized P24. Check out cruiserrevolution.com .

Specialized P24:

Last edited:

BMX-T02

Chimp
Feb 8, 2011
WOW! Thanks for all the recommendations everyone, I'm doing my homework before buying, so keep 'em coming! BTW, mattt those frames are great, they your handiwork?

BMX-T02

Chimp
Feb 8, 2011
WHAAAAAT! mattt, those frames are sick!!! Prices on frames/projected completes?

Last edited:

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
The 22.6 straight gauge is $360 and the Supertherm is $390 (powdercoated any color)

Couldn't say about the completes... I'd like to make them super affordable but am honestly in my business' infancy still

BMX-T02

Chimp
Feb 8, 2011
That's awesome. I'll definitely keep these in mind. You should get some tees made up to promote as well, that logo RULES!!!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
That Haro Steel Reserve is the kind of bike I would recommend. When you get tired of spiking your wrists, you can add a fork. Although... I would import a Euro brand like Brave Machine, Revell, DMR or Revell. The Brits love this type of bike and there are alot to choose from.

BMX-T02

Chimp
Feb 8, 2011
I'm diggin' the Revell site, only problems are: no frame geometry(specifically TT length), and no US distributors or pricing info.

BMX-T02

Chimp
Feb 8, 2011
Awesome. Will do. A friend of mine back in Ohio sent me a link to DK bikes...opinions, anyone?

Feb 17, 2009
San Francisco
I had a Haro Steel Reserve 1.1 (rigid) and I HATED it, it just felt heavy, and dead, and awkward in the skatepark on smaller transitions. I just got a p24 and I love it, it feels like a BMX, I can manual longer than I've been able to on any bike. It's light... comes well spec'd... The only problem is that it's not a Liquid