Quantcast

Tapered Head Tube ?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I'm in the market for a new fork. My current frame has a non-tapered head tube, but I might get a new frame with a tapered HT in the near future.

Would there be any problem with running a 1 1/8" steerer tube on a frame with a tapered HT ? Would it look weird or handle funny ?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
No issues. Most frames come with 1.5 head tubes anyways these days to give you the option to run whatever setup you want. I am really happy with my tapered setup on my all mountain bike.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
No probs. You'll just have to fork over some extra $$ to get the extra crown race to use the tapered steerer tube when you eventually get it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've done it a few times. Just slap a reducing headset in there and rock and roll.

What are you getting?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I've done it a few times. Just slap a reducing headset in there and rock and roll.

What are you getting?

Possibly a RockShox Revelation RLT Ti 150mm. And I've been lusting after a Spitfire again.

I had to replace the chainstay and pivots on my '08 Dawg. What do you think I could get for it ?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Do it. I fvcking LOVE my Spitfire.

No idea about the Dawg. Are you talking selling complete, or just the frame?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm running a 1-1/8" revelation on my sj evo with the adapter headset. Works great. At first I was pissed to pay $40 for an adapter/race and lower bearing from Cane Creek, but after seeing it, I am happy. It's totally seamless looking unlike some other reducer set ups I've seen.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
Revelation RLT Ti is awesome, love mine.

I'm not a fan of the bushing system of the Banshee's though. Also, the vf4b generates too much anti-squat when using a 22 t ring, IMO. 26t and bigger seems fine, unless your doing steep standing climbs.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
No probs. You'll just have to fork over some extra $$ to get the extra crown race to use the tapered steerer tube when you eventually get it.
Pretty sure that Cane Creek will mix and match upper and lower assemblies because of all the different head tubes out there. So you won't have to fork out cash for parts you don't need.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Pretty sure that Cane Creek will mix and match upper and lower assemblies because of all the different head tubes out there. So you won't have to fork out cash for parts you don't need.
they will but if he gets a tapered fork, he'll need a crown race for a 1.5" steerer which does come with the lower cup assembly

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Giant sells bikes like this, or used to, from the factory. AkA the glory, with a fluch mount lower cup, and regular on top.......

There are most def headsets available out there for using a 1.125 fork in a taperd frame

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Guess I'll have to get used to wearing a Camelbak again. I've enjoyed not having anything on my back for a couple of seasons. My rides average two hours and one small water bottle has been enough even on the hot days.

But, I'll gladly trade the water bottle cage for a low slung, corner railing bike.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Frame showed up today.

Unfortunately, there was a mix up with the headset and I didn't get the right crown race. But Cane Creek is taking care of me and I'll have it in a day or two.

Can't wait, but I guess I'll have to.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Bummer. My frame shipped without a shock. I think my head would have exploded if I hadn't had a spare in the right size to throw on there.

What size, medium?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Mine's a large, and it weighs 28.x lbs with a Lyric and a dropper post. Other than those two, it's a pretty damn light build though.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Mine will have a Revelation RLT, Mavic Crosstrail wheels, and an XTR/XT drivetrain, no bash guard(for now) or dropper post. I know I can save weight by upgrading my saddle, pedals, bar and stem later. But for now, I just want to start building and ripping.

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
The only thing i have to complain about on the spitty is the lack of a bottlecage lol.

mine is 26lbs with a full xt 1x9 build, and not a weight weenie build. couldnt be happier with it. surprisingly havent tried it in the slack setting yet.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Haven't ridden it yet. Going out for a really short ride in a minute. I took a chunk out of my left hand building it and need to let it heal a bit before doing any long rides. Just going to get the bugs out, not even changing into riding clothes.