Quantcast

taping shivers for fork guards

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
posted this in the lounge, not even one look.

ok, what

size bit
size tap
what size bolt
and how deep. if any one would who is a marz. rep please respond, i need to get this done. thanks

-mack

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
no, no zip ties, i need to tap the feet of the fork. well, will zip ties work. that is allot easier. hmmm :think:

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Find a bolt that fits the hole in the guard.
Find the correct tap for the bolt.
Find the correct bit for the tap.
The bolts on mine are 10mm long.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
take it to someone who knows what they are doing, and call Marz, dude everyone told you months back when you asked about this what you needed to do - call them! I believe Brian told you there was a template they can send you or something like that.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
OR just get something like go-ride's fork guards that clamp the the bottom of the forks. Drilling/tapping if you're not good is not a easy task for a begginer

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Clamping things to the stanchions of the shiver is not really an option. At full compression the seals go all the way to the dropout, leaving no space to clamp something down there.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
LOL stupid inverted forks!

I have shiver's on my DH and FR bike. Thank god the 2002 ones came with these guards already installed. What a PITA it would be to have to tap them etc...

I agree some of the go-ride guards are ugly but in any case they might do their job. If all I had were 2 choices of guards (marz and go-ride) or the possibility of scratching my stanchons then I'd use the ugliest thing possible, as long as it got the job done, it's good.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
I used the zip ties for one year until my mechanic decided to install them with the taps. Can you believe he did it with out telling me or charging me. It was a nice surprize.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
i had the go rides, i was very sceptical and didnt want any thing metal on those stanchions, so i sent them back and ordered the marzocchi ones. I am gunna use hose clamps, its better than the lizard skin fork boots that are currently on them.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Ugliest things on the planet? Come on man, I shape every single one of those guards by hand ;) Seriously though, I think they look a lot better than some of the stock ones on various brands, probably not as good looking as the Dorado guards though. Anyway we're not really doing the guards for the Shiver anymore as you have to limit your fork travel (basically raising your oil height 10mm above the suggested maximum level), otherwise the seals hit our clamps. Below is a pic of my Tomac with our guards.

Attachments

James | Go-Ride said:
Ugliest things on the planet?.....
Hahahahaha, I knew it was just matter of time before you jumped in. :p

I love my guards, I think they look great.......once you cover the clear plastic. I was not a big fan of the 'clear look', nor am I a fan of the go-ride street sign logo.

But i love the gaurds!!! :heart: