Quantcast

Tar River This Season

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
I need to get a feel for what's going to happen at Tar this year.

Right now I'm looking at adding on to the tower. Starting with a 9' high skinny chute into an 8' high curved vertical wall. Then cut a new line with a couple dirt jumps and a drop down to the ski launch from the line off the gap up.

Any interest out there?

Help building?

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
I walked some potential lines yesterday.

I'm looking to put in an XC loop with half dozen stunt lines dropping off the big hillside on the Technical side of the creek.

On Killer Hill the potential is exceptional. I want to cut jumps on the road bank. Then take it into a couple of log rides. Some dirt jumps and end the line with a huge road gap.

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
Yeah......... Craig, You have noticed how things keep getting built at Tar? Haven't you?

Like, every season something get added. It's all been alot of work. That's why I ask for help. Riders like Mark, Mike and Wes were a big help last year.

The question is; Is anybody going to ride? And, if so; Are you wililng to work?

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Yes I have noticed. But it seems like all those times you have said you will forever shut down Tar river, but then open again seems... well, :stosh:

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
Tar River is my backyard.

They are closed to public access. Open at my discrection.

That is not what I want. I've always envisioned a place where all the people could come ride, camp, party, have a good time.

But, after years of putting up with being slandered, flamed, bitched at, boycotted and marginalized, as well as the trail poachers violateing the simple sign-in rules and sneaking into closed trails during active hunting seasons. I've had it with trying to deal with a fickle public.

However, I still love the riding. Love to build. Love to see people riding my creations. I pay thousands of $$ a year to lease the property and hundreds more to maintain the trails. I've invested 9 years and thousands of hours into the stunts and trails. It would be truely sad for all that to go to waste.

So, the question stands;
Is there any interest in riding Tar River this season?

It's very simple. If you want to ride, I'll schedule rides.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
TM1 said:
But, after years of putting up with being slandered, flamed, bitched at, boycotted and marginalized, as well as the trail poachers violateing the simple sign-in rules and sneaking into closed trails during active hunting seasons. I've had it with trying to deal with a fickle public.

....Fickle public---Ha! ...That's a laugh-and-a-half.

You know, I had a really long response typed up for this, but I think I'll just sit back and let you do all the damage yourself, bryan.

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
....Fickle public---Ha! ...That's a laugh-and-a-half.
I really wish you had some idea of what I've put up with. It's not a bit funny. Anybody at your place ever threaten to beat your head in cause he didn't think your jumps weren't big enough? How many times have people cursed you and your three small children for getting lost on the trails? You have never been in my shoes... SO GET OFF MY BACK!!!

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
Instead of bashing people for whatever reason you dont like them get off his back, he simply asked if anyone was intrested in riding out there, if so he is gonna build, If you want to ride say so, if you dont then simply dont respond.
````````````````````````````````````````````````````
I need to get a feel for what's going to happen at Tar this year.

Right now I'm looking at adding on to the tower. Starting with a 9' high skinny chute into an 8' high curved vertical wall. Then cut a new line with a couple dirt jumps and a drop down to the ski launch from the line off the gap up.

Any interest out there?

Help building?

````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Simple question. in paragraph form looks like to me, craig asked questions leading to his response, if the shoe fits wear it, I dont think id be happy either tho if i built trails and stunts and people didnt want to follow the rules then i got bitched out for it. So again plain and simple, dont like him dont go out there, wanna ride there they hey let him know.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
ive been out there 4 times. minus the x country ride i decided to try on my 40 lbs bike i had tons o fun. Ya it would be cool to jsut take off out there on your own and do the stunts but i can also understand where your on mostly private property, i wouldnt want tons of people i didnt know just popping up in my back yard. I prefer the side closest to where we park but thats just me. Will i ever hit that ski thing, maybe maybe not but it wont be the reason i go back or not. I want to go back this year and if hes gonna build more stuff hey thats awsome. To me riding out tthere is no diff then CHHS or Legends, or Salem lake, you drive x distance, ride have fun, chill with your friends then go home.

If you dont have fun there , plainly dont go. i just dont understand whats the big fuss i guess.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i'm always amazed at the level of animosity that even i've created here at windrock. by doing nothing more than sticking up for and protecting what i've busted my ass building. and not allowing the blowhards to claim responsibility for this place, or falsely claim they have supported me. nor do i cut any slack when people whine and moan about what it is or is not to their own needs. the way i see it if you don't like me or my creations, i'd just as soon you DON'T ride here.

it seems like i'm not the only one facing the same crap.

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
my .01 worth -

I'd ride it again for sure - went down w/zack last year - total blast!

(now a slight thread jack)

...this thread is a wealth of information to me as it helps me to sort out thoughts on owning land & building trails - My father has 200 acres of land in Eastern Tenn. on the side of a mountain...it's an amazing piece of private property that has a road cut in from top to bottom (4x4 required) - his property is surrounded by private land for miles - truly secluded paradise, no outsiders whatsoever...I could go on about the property and how great it is - we've even built a 1200sq. ft. loft/barn setup 1/2 up the mountain for camping out...it's my favorite vacation spot on earth - total peace...

All that being said, he's given me permission to do whatever I want on the property - heck, the "road" he cut in is an amazing downhill run as is, freakin' steep, several huge gaps etc...all this without building a thing as of yet...

Bottom line - I've enjoyed the land a couple of times solo - it would be a blast to have others, but I just don't know if I want the potential trouble...I'll probably just do the whole invite only thing?...

...threads like this one sure make me think twice :think:

danW

ps. I most definately want to ride TAR, AGAIN!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
danw,

keep us posted on your trail ambitions.

i've been building mt. bike trails for over 20yrs. now. here in east tennessee and texas.

the last 5-6 yrs. here on windrock mt. and very quietly have developed what myself and many others consider one of the best systems in the east. and by far the best d.h. venue in the south.

stand firm against the complainers you'll attract. you have the advantage of private land. and can easily send them packin.

98%of the people you'll meet will be very supportive and gratefull for your work. and their company can lead to you having some damn good d.h. sessions. the fun i've had up here, and the friends i've made, is something i never could have imagined when i first started this project.

sorry for the sidestep of the issue TM1.

best of luck to you.

adevault

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
i've never been but it sounds incredible! we should all thank bryan for his hard work and letting people ride there. I agree with zach--if you dont like it--fine, dont go--personally I cant wait to give it a try...

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
Ok PCC
I don't know who you are and don't recall any incident of blowing a freaking fuse.

Normally when people mention other trails or features they like I make a point of trying to check them out. I've gotten alot of insight and useful ideas that way.

As far as changing lines, I listen when people suggest things. I can't think of a single time I've gotten bent for a well intended suggestion. Might not have changed anything. But, I'm always open when a rider can show me where a line should go. For example; Last Spring when I was having difficulty with the hip. Keegan set his wheels three times in a row on the right tread line. And, then gapped up to the upper trail through some saplings. The next weekend I had the whole thing opened up for the gap up and packed in tread right where he had hit it.

You know what really ticks me off, and, has started most of the crap on triangle, has been anonomous posters saying things to prejudice opinions and make me sound like some crazy asshole unworthy of being taken serious or at best not someone you'd what to ride with.

So, I'll tell you what. You tell these good people who you are and accurately what you think transpired at Tar River about 3 years ago that you base your opinion on.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
do we really need to see all of this, form 3 years of your grudge? PM TM1 and let it go, that place has changed from 3 years ago im sure. I know when i went there was more then 3 things out there. get back on track, if you wanna ride out there this season say so, if you dont dont waste time posting about it. Just because you had a bad experience doesnt mean everyone will. Let people decide on there own.

One of the nice things i see at TM1's place is it is gradual, there stuff for pretty much everyone, Not everyone wants to hit stuff at Hick Park. I do, but not everyone does. I also dont see any diff in places like Hick Park, Peewees, CHHS, G Boro , Legands and tar othere then the level of skill you prolly need, Hell most all those places are gradual as well, there is suff for everyone even Hick Park im sure( Aint been out thre yet tho)

point is if all you got is stuff to bitch about, just PM him about it we dont need to see your bitching nor care to, all you do is add fuel to the fire instead of just letting it go and doing what we all wanna be out there doing RIDING !!

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
Just to let people know what has happened with Tar River this year.

There were 2 scheduled rides this past year. Several new sections were built. A total of four people showed up for 2 rides. No one has yet tried the big jump.

I had a nasty crash on June 4th that took out my right shoulder and crushed my right chest wall. (Out of commision for 10 weeks)

Killer Hill was closed forever by the land owners.

There has been no riding since 6-4-06. There trails are still here, but, I'm not. I've been working out out state since Aug. We will probably keep the lease on the land for a little longer, we'll see.

BTW PCC, aka Patrick, aka Stu Pidaso was one indiviual who threatened violence. He never signed a waiver form or signed in. My great sin was saying that I was told the stunts at Hick park that I had seen pics of had been torn down because of their state of decay. And, trying to walk away from him when he got hot about it.

All that is history, and it no longer matters. As I am no longer building for the people. I see no point in attempting any more work or rides. The whole thing is only a source of grief and pain for me any more.

danW

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
Greensboro
...WOW!!! So sorry to hear about your crash! I really hate that for you -- I hope you heal up sooner than expected!

...as to me riding there - I moved over to BMX exclusively over the last year or so...all I own now are bmx bikes (cruiser )...Tar River would not work for me at all these days.

I would like to say though - Tar River was absolutely one of the best freeride spots I experienced - I went with Zach and some others, it was very cool indeed..we hit some really cool jumps...pretty big ones! I always wanted to go back but unfortunately never got to...

Anyway, I hope you heal up better than ever and again sooner than expected!

Sincerely, danW

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I would love to come ride and would be all over building out at Tar, because when i rode there it was awesome and the crowd was great, no issues at all. But this ridiculous drama starts every time Tar is even mentioned, and if this drama doesn't cease to exist, then I'm simply not going to bother with Tar anymore. I'm tired of everyone getting so emotionally involved about riding spots.

Just follow these simple rules where and whenever you ride, and no one will have issues.

1) If you case dirt jumps, at least make a valid attempt to fix them.
2) If someone sets rules for others/visitors to obey on THEIR PRIVATE PROPERTY, simply obey them. Even if you don't like your rules, that still doesn't give you the option to not follow them.
3) If you don't like someone or the rules/conditions they have set for you riding on their land, go someone else.
4) If you don't ride the stunts or jumps that people have spent hard work building on various NC trails, just leave them alone and don't ride them. You have no business tearing down what others have put hard work into.
5) Finally, if you ride at Tar or any other location during an Active Hunting Season, you are a complete retard and deserve to be shot.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Wow lots O'Drama in this thread. As being some what new to the NC area it would probably help if I knew where "Tar" was.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
I've heard good things about Tar and would be interested in helping to build out there.
from the looks of things tar is done, the guy moved out of state there hasnt been any riding there since June I believe, soo
if we have all these people wanting to build we should get something together to build somewhere else
CP workday perhaps, anywhere at all?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
salem could use a mass build day to repair some old stuff and build new stuff. would be nice to have showtime back up to it's original glory :D

who remembers when it was this big?

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
^^^I agree with Manimal. Everybody should go have a big Build day at Salem.

As far as the Ridiculous Drama? I hate it too. It was a major reason I shut things down. (I hope people realized this thread was ressurected from last Jan.) I've never been good at dealing with criticism or rejection. And, obviously not too good at defending myself on line either.

Like I said; I still have the lease on the land, the trails are still there. (Minus Killer Hill) The two rides were by request. And, were the only requests I had this last year. I am doing nothing to promote things, as there is no motivation. But, I would enjoy seeing some of my old friends.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
salem could use a mass build day to repair some old stuff and build new stuff. would be nice to have showtime back up to it's original glory :D

who remembers when it was this big?
That was such an incredible jump. I'm game. We could get some 4x4s to use for the supports instead of the original sticks.