Quantcast

Techno Mousse - no moar toobz?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Sounds good to me. Not sure about that paragraph tho:

"• The mousse reaches its maximum elasticity after some minutes of use (the amount of minutes taken can vary depending on the exterior temperature). When at rest the mousse goes back to the
original hardness."

Is anyone here who spent some time on a moto version of that thing and can say a few words?

http://www.technomousse.com/prodotti/mousse/mtbdownhill.html

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Kinda, yeah, but with single ply tires the weight should not be an issue (I think).

Even if every1 of the UCI DH field uses tubeless, it doesn't mean that we should. I don't want to waste my time on the trip for changing tubes/pumping up tires after every burp. Anyway, for anyone heavier than let's say 165 lb, riding 1.6/1.8 bar (23/26psi) in the tires is not an option.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Kinda, yeah, but with single ply tires the weight should not be an issue (I think).
IMO, offsetting the weight by going single ply is a fools errand. Singles get torn up trail riding, they simply don't hold up to DH use (not to mention they lack the good compounds). Tubeless dual ply for everything works for me, but I don't swap tires when the sun goes behind a cloud either so the hassle/cost of sealant isn't a factor in my world.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005

Even if every1 of the UCI DH field uses tubeless, it doesn't mean that we should. I don't want to waste my time on the trip for changing tubes/pumping up tires after every burp. Anyway, for anyone heavier than let's say 165 lb, riding 1.6/1.8 bar (23/26psi) in the tires is not an option.
You need different rims or different tires....it takes 5min to change a tire once your rim is taped...Im 185lbs and 23/26 is what Ive been running for the last two years Ive ran tubless and Ive never burped...I literally used to go through 20 tubes a year...Think I have 2 tires in my stack that have had a tear that was too big to seal on its own or plug....I dont even run tubeless ready tires in front most of the time....granted we dont have hero dirt or many bermed corners that you can compleatly T off on but its about as rough as you will find....

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You need different rims or different tires....it takes 5min to change a tire once your rim is taped...Im 185lbs and 23/26 is what Ive been running for the last two years Ive ran tubless and Ive never burped...I literally used to go through 20 tubes a year...Think I have 2 tires in my stack that have had a tear that was too big to seal on its own or plug....I dont even run tubeless ready tires in front most of the time....granted we dont have hero dirt or many bermed corners that you can compleatly T off on but its about as rough as you will find....
^^^^ all of that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Old syringe works perfect to suck sealant thats still wet out of the tire you're changing...I usually get about half a tires worth back....sealant does add up$
Not really, I keep getting coupons for 50% off at Michaels, then combined with their in-store take an additional 30%, which seems to be every weekend, I get the base products for my sealant pretty dirt-cheap.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm sure it's on the monkey somewhere (search n00b!) but this would be a great place for people to post their fully worked out DIY sealant recipes / formulas.

Go !

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
hmmm... @wydopen seems to be very sensitive on the subject of...tubes.

I'm even running DH tubes inside, i enjoy running lower psi's.. i couldn't give two shits about the added weight
You know how it is. It's like the wheel size debate, pick a size and be a dick about it.

I started running tubeless on my trail bikes a 2 years back. I don't understand the OMG it's magic. But it worked, so I stuck with it, then last year my bike was shipped tubeless ready, so I added sealant and moved on with life.

On the DH bike I ran DH tubes in 26" flavor and never had problems, I went through like zero tubes a year racing on the east coast OMG ROXXERs and SHARP ONES, OMG. I switched to 27.5 and no one made a DH tube yet, I tried the freeride tubes maxxis made but they didn't have the same OMG NO PUNCTURES that the DH tubes offered. That and swapping 27.5 tires was a bitch with tubes, I changed them out to tubeless and so far so good, but I still don't OMG TUBELESS is the best. I guess I just don't understand?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'm sure it's on the monkey somewhere (search n00b!) but this would be a great place for people to post their fully worked out DIY sealant recipes / formulas.

Go !
liquid latex, green slime, rv antifreeze. If I knew how I'd upload a video of my poking holes in a dry rotted tire with an awl and the tire sealing right up. But it's on my phone and I don't care enough.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Go !
1 part liquid latex mold builder, 1 part slime tire sealant, 2 parts RV antifreeze. Shaken not stirred.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
My understanding of the cons with moto mousses (Miche Bib Mousse), which are really only run for Enduros and maybe Dakar Rallys, are the following:
- Heavy
- Require ridiculous leverage to install (2 foot tire irons plus 2 pairs of vise grips)
- Melt/fail at high speed on tarmac due to sustained high heat from friction.

Pluses:
- Can't flat

I don't see why any pro bike racers would use mousses unless they've somehow eliminated the weight penalty, which is less of an issue on moto. The other cons wouldn't matter to bikes, as you don't change tires mid race, nor do you go 130 on pavement for hours.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Here is the general knowledge on Bib Mousse's (Meese?) from the moto application:

Pros:
- No flats
- Installs can be relatively easy once you learn how to do them. No need for a 2ft tire iron. Just slather it up with crisco or whatever.
- No checking pressures

Cons:
- Weight
- Expensive as hell
- They soften up over time, often a matter of a few rides
- They dry up and crack and rot out. They're done in a few months whether or not you've been riding.

I've never used them, but a lot of the Baja/serious desert racer guys run them because flats will kill a race, and the lifetime doesn't matter for them. On the moto, I run the Nuetech Tubliss setup, which is what the ProCore system is for mtb's (actually, a very blatant ripoff and IP infringement - I believe they're getting their asses sued off right now, rightfully so).

It works really damn well, for a variety of reasons. I don't think it saves much weight. Perhaps the biggest benefit, besides being able to run lower pressures on it, is the ability to puncture the tire, and just keep on riding on the flat with zero fear of the tire coming off the rim. To that same effect, there is a distinct handling difference due to the fact that under HARD cornering, the outside bead of the tire can't be pulled inwards towards the center of the rim. That's how you find branches and shit inside your tire when you go to change it. Basically the center of the tread is going to always stay nearly centered up with the rim. Without that thing in there, it wanders all over the place when you load the tire hard. Having the two valve stems/rimlock next to one another makes the wheel a bit imbalanced though, and needs a couple counterweight blocks.

I bet it would work awesome for a DH bike, but I can't see people accepting the weight and imbalance for anything that involves pedaling. The Mousse idea is even more ridiculous for a MTB. Stuffing some raquetballs in there is probably just as good of an idea honestly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
liquid latex, green slime, rv antifreeze. If I knew how I'd upload a video of my poking holes in a dry rotted tire with an awl and the tire sealing right up. But it's on my phone and I don't care enough.
And water.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I run the Michelin Bib Mouses on my enduro moto. They are too hard when new and too soft when old. Somewhere in between they ride with the feeling of the right air pressure. It's nice to not worry about flats when you're far from home but you have to use 3 serious tire levers to mount a tire with a mousse and I wouldn't think a Mtb rim would support the levering. The bead never seems to sit on the rim straight and I would think it'd do the same on a Mtb rim.
Graham Jarvis drills holes in his mouses with a hole saw to get more compliance out of a new one.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
And water.
The liquid latex I was able to find at the local craft store was a paste, with the RV Antifreeze and the tire slime it was about the same consistency as stans. Maybe a touch thicker, so I didn't need to add any water.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Tennis balls, raquet balls, Tire Balls, hell I've seen people just wad up branches and stuff them in there with a rimlock and it does OK short term. Yeah, it feels dead. Good for comfort, bad for grip.