Quantcast

Tell me about: The Bianchi Pista

sokoloka

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego / London
Well, the time has come where I've finally decided to build a slightly more efficient bicycle for my daily travels, and I've set my sights on the 2007 Bianchi Pista, which looks something like this:

I was quite surprised when I saw that they $579.99 retail on this chrome beast was for the complete instead of frame only like I had thought!

I plan on running it pretty much as it comes; fixxie and brakeless - but I'll still make some silly aesthetic upgrades such as a carbon fork, CK headset, Thomson post, new seat, that kinda nonsense. Try as I might to love a stock bike, the gucci bike nerd inside me takes over and I have to have a little bling :monkeydance:

So, is there anything I should know about the Pista? Road/track really isn't my scene; i'm more of an urban/dj kinda guy so I figured asking you cats would be my best bet.

Finally, I'd ideally like to build her up with no out-of-pocket cost; so I need to sell off a large portion of my bike parts pile. I just have a few questions related to pricing on some of my more road-ish parts:

Anyone know how much I could fetch for a Dura Ace 7800 10s Shortie rear derailleur that has 11 miles on it?
Same for an Ultegra 8spd 11-25 cassette with 11 miles on it as well?

Thanks for your help guys!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, it is ok. Base model steel frame, cheapo components, but what does one need for a track bike?

Keep in mind Raleigh and a bunch of Taiwanese manufactured companies offer virtually the same bike for the same price.

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I really thinkit's a shame that yo're gonna put a carbon fork on it, IMO it slightly ruins the look if it, but whatever floats your boat. FYI if you're not used to the fixie think of just want more options chargebikes are coming out with a similar bike, but with a flip flop fix/freewheel rear hub, and brakes. should be out in june, www.chargebikes.com you'll find it under 'news' 'plug prototype'. I just got my Kona paddy wagon, and I'm luuuvin' it!

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I'll second the "no carbon fork" thought. The cr-mo fork feels nice enough. I'd throw the $$ into a black B-17 saddle and matching Brooks leather bar tape.
The pista is a classic track fixie that's great for the street. Strong and resillient, and the chrome looks great when you take the stickers off.

Oh, and pick up a spare rear tire, if you're just learning to ride fixed, you're gonna skid right through the first one.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
bikes look good but the idea of fixed is to ride something simple and less dressed up. the pista frame is very generic so putting carbon cranks, fork, and high end parts on it seems silly to begin with. that bike would not last 5mins on a bike rack here before being stolen making it a less viable option for commuting. i like bolt on wheels and an old school frame and fork. if you are racing track or training heavily on a fixed gear, i agree a nice frame and better parts are in order. if you just want a commuter that you can count on being there when you come out of the store or work, use the KISS system.