Quantcast

tennis balls?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
some people will tell you they do it because it increases spoke tension. it probably does increase spoke tension but they why not run them in ALL spokes? (i didnt' look at the image, maybe he is)

but the real reason is because.

seriously, he was probably riding past a tennis court and saw a ball and put it in his spokes. people been putting dumb ass crap on their bikes for years.

mat hoffman even had tennis balls in his wheels about 17 years ago...

Revolver

Chimp
Sep 16, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by pnj
some people will tell you they do it because it increases spoke tension. it probably does increase spoke tension but they why not run them in ALL spokes? (i didnt' look at the image, maybe he is)

but the real reason is because.

mat hoffman even had tennis balls in his wheels about 17 years ago...
Very interesting, although I don't know what you mean by running them on all spokes. From the image I gather the ball is shoved snug to the hub...I suppose you mean placing enough balls to cover the circumference of the hub?

Nice bit of trivia about the Condor:)

Thanks for posting

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
yeah, it's a kind of a ghetto thing. a lot of street riders do it when they see a tennis ball, they just shove it in. I know I've done it a few times and given the ball to my dog when i got home.

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
thats crazy I live out here in austin tx where a lot of pros live, like T1- joe rich, taj, Jason sunday and I have never seen that done out here and I know a lot of pros here too.

Ctfphotos

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Astoria, NY
This an easy one. The tennis balls are for throwing at Ryan Nyquist if he shows up at your local trails! If you run out of tennis balls substitute rocks or a shovel.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Originally posted by Ctfphotos
This an easy one. The tennis balls are for throwing at Ryan Nyquist if he shows up at your local trails! If you run out of tennis balls substitute rocks or a shovel.
Why? Because if he shows up at your trails he'll make all the locals look stupid?

I used to think Nyquist was a dick - based solely on what I had seen of him on the TV. Then he came through my town with the Road Fools 12 crew.

Guess what - he's a really cool guy. Furthermore, his riding is at a completely different level than most other people on the planet. He's just that good. And he rode harder for a longer time than anyone else in that building. Gracious with his fans, too.

Sure, he gets paid plenty of money for doing the things he does. He's killed himself for years to get to that point, too. Why throw things at him if he comes to 'your' trails? I'd be happy to see him or anyone else at that level of the game show up at ours.

Okay, okay. You're probably just kidding and this rant was mostly unneeded. But I just got done with a big arguement on the same subject with a rider here, and it's still fresh in my mind.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
its cause he is not wearing a helmet. in the event of a crash the tennis ball will provide no protection at all.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i believe Rick Thorne would be a better target.

Originally posted by RandomV
Why? Because if he shows up at your trails he'll make all the locals look stupid?

I used to think Nyquist was a dick - based solely on what I had seen of him on the TV. Then he came through my town with the Road Fools 12 crew.

Guess what - he's a really cool guy. Furthermore, his riding is at a completely different level than most other people on the planet. He's just that good. And he rode harder for a longer time than anyone else in that building. Gracious with his fans, too.

Sure, he gets paid plenty of money for doing the things he does. He's killed himself for years to get to that point, too. Why throw things at him if he comes to 'your' trails? I'd be happy to see him or anyone else at that level of the game show up at ours.

Okay, okay. You're probably just kidding and this rant was mostly unneeded. But I just got done with a big arguement on the same subject with a rider here, and it's still fresh in my mind.