Quantcast

Tensioning on a Vert Dropout Bike

trialsboy50

Monkey
Nov 23, 2004
I'm building up a cheap SS from an old SuperGo Access frame, with vert dropouts. I know most people use like a Singleator, Rennen or some sort of tensining system, but i have seen in pictures, people just running a chain all around without anything(on vert dropout bikes). Is it possible to just cut the chain to the exact length and run the bike without problems?

My reason for asking is that I jsut dont like the look of a tensioner there, and I'm going to buy a frame with an EBB right now.

Thanks
Byron

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Yeah
There are a few ways.
Don't cut the chain.
Use a chain-breaker
make the chain the correct length
If it is too long, go to the hardware store and buy a half link.
**|--|
*/***\
*|-----|
It's shaped like that^^ (ignore the stars)
Install it, then remove 1/2 link from the other end of the chain.
Now put it together,
If that doesn't work, try fiddling with ring sizes.
If that doesn't work either, you're SOL.

trialsboy50

Monkey
Nov 23, 2004
Alright, haha I didnt mean literally cut a chain.

But yea, has anyone used the shadow conspiracy interloc chain? i think its made in halflinks

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Weird, I heard the SC chain is very strong. If it wasn't so damn expensive, I'd get one and report back, but $30?

For some other ideas on how to run without a tensioner, check Sheldon Brown's page.

I ran SS on an Access frame without a tensioner. It's just a matter of finding a gear combo that allows it. I was commuting, so I think I had a 42x16. A little steep for trails, but tensionerless is possible.

trialsboy50

Monkey
Nov 23, 2004
To BikeGeek, did you just break the chain to the exact length and run it? Thats what I was hoping to do.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
trialsboy50 said:
To BikeGeek, did you just break the chain to the exact length and run it? Thats what I was hoping to do.
Yeah. You just have to size it up on your bike before you break it. You don't want it to be too tight or it will bind, too loose and you'll drop your chain. Half-links are a beautiful thing when trying to get things to fit right. When playing around with your gearing keep in mind that everytime you go down by one tooth on your cog, you're accompishing the same thing as you would if you moved your wheel 1/8 inch forward in horiz. drops to gain a little slack in the chain. Likewise, if you're too slack, going up a tooth will take up an 1/8 inch.