Text Messaging Teen kills bicyclist

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Teen in Crash May Have Been Text Messaging
Nov 26 1:24 PM US/Eastern

HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo.

A 17-year-old likely will face misdemeanor charges after allegedly losing control of his car while text messaging and hitting a bicyclist.

The bicyclist, Jim R. Price of Highlands Ranch, died Friday, two days after the accident.

"We do not believe it was an intentional act, but it was inattentiveness to the roadway," said Lt. Alan Stanton, spokesman for Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

"The investigation showed that he was text-messaging on his cell phone" at the time of the accident, said Stanton.

The driver could face a charge of careless driving resulting in death, Stanton said. Under Colorado law, the teen could face up to a year in prison.

It was the second time Price, an avid cyclist, had been hit by car. He suffered a broken ankle two years ago when he was hit while riding on a bike path. His wife, Shirley, said he had been especially mindful of cars since then.

Shirley Price wasn't angry with the teen. "I feel sorry for the teenager," she said. "It was a stupid mistake," she told the Rocky Mountain News.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
RhinofromWA said:
Stupid cell phones....

uhhh was the cell phone driving the car? maybe that sentence should read "stupid teenage cell phone user/driver......" instead.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
They should charge that kid with manslaughter and let him sit in jail for 20 years. Frickin idiot!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
biggins said:
uhhh was the cell phone driving the car? maybe that sentence should read "stupid teenage cell phone user/driver......" instead.
:rolleyes: It might as well be....I tried usign a phone while driving....once. Never again.

I am pretty sure that the dumb kid would have avoided the cyclist if he didn't have his head buried into his cell phone.

Yes the phone is the device that enabled the kid to hit the cyclist. The kid is 100% at fault, but it is the phone that made him so.

Cell phones and driving are evil.....I don't care how cool or in control people think they are.

Rhino

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I think that along with the misdemeanor charges he ought to have his license taken away for a few years and then have mandatory driving school afterwards.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
COmtbiker12 said:
I think that along with the misdemeanor charges he ought to have his license taken away for a few years and then have mandatory driving school afterwards.
...and go around to other high schools talking about his experience. Maybe, other kids will listen when it comes from one of their own peers (but then again, he'll most likely just get ripped on by the talkees).

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I don't have a cell phone!
I have talked while driving a few times. It just doesn't work, it's like trying to do calculus and halo at the same time.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I really don't know what to say at this point.

Jim R. Price was a member at bikeforums.net under the username of sydney and at bicycling.com as Biker Billy both places he was a major contributor at both places in the maitenance sections, he has helped numerous people there with bike related problems. If a person was in a desperate situation, Jim would have gone out of his way to help that person. RIP Jim.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
lovebunny said:
god some kids are complete idiots. when im in the car i usually jsut tell people ill call them back. socal drivers scare me enough without me being distracted by a cell phone
must be from Santa Barbara

splat

Nam I am
What ever happened to being responsible for ones actions . I mean I'm sure he did not intend to hit the cyclist , but whne you are driving regaurdless of other distractions , you are still the one responsible for the 2000 Pound Beast you are suppose to be in control of. misdemeanor Charges for Killing some one ? Somehting about that just seams wrong!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Rip said:
I really don't know what to say at this point.

Jim R. Price was a member at bikeforums.net under the username of sydney and at bicycling.com as Biker Billy both places he was a major contributor at both places in the maitenance sections, he has helped numerous people there with bike related problems. If a person was in a desperate situation, Jim would have gone out of his way to help that person. RIP Jim.
I'm very sad. I loved Sydney. He was a great guy and if you hear of when the funeral is, I should go pay my respects :(

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Kadvang said:
I think it is pretty safe to say that he probably feels like absolute **** already.
Well, as long as the kid feels bad, then it is ok he KILLED SOMEONE!!!

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
LordOpie said:
I'm very sad. I loved Sydney. He was a great guy and if you hear of when the funeral is, I should go pay my respects :(

you might want to pm koff. She is in contact with the sister and may have more details.

RIP Syd.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
splat said:
YES!!! His irresponsibility cost some one there life!

So that is the new defense for killing some one ? Just admit I ****ed up and all is better ? I don't think so .
I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished. I'm saying 20 years seems excessive.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
The Kadvang said:
I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished. I'm saying 20 years seems excessive.
I'm sure the victim's family feels death was excessive as well.

While not premeditated, I wouldn't consider it an accident either. An accident would be something beyond the drivers control [i.e. ice]. This kid made a choice, and that choice cost someone their life. Not much different than drunk driving in my opinion. Throw the book at him.

Prayers to the family.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Heath Sherratt said:
Right, phones are at fault. If this happens in europe you lose your license for life.
Sounds like a perfect idea.

Talking on the phone while driving is dumb, trying to TEXT MESSAGE someone while driving is just plain asking for disaster. I can hardly manage typing out a text message while im 100% focused on it without falling over or hitting something.

This sucks. RIP...

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
BuddhaRoadkill said:

While not premeditated, I wouldn't consider it an accident either. An accident would be something beyond the drivers control [i.e. ice]. This kid made a choice, and that choice cost someone their life. Not much different than drunk driving in my opinion. Throw the book at him.

Prayers to the family.
Sure, take his lisence away. But to throw someone in jail for 20 years? No way. The kid made an awful mistake, he shouldn't pay for it for the rest of his life.

RIP

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The Kadvang said:
Sure, take his lisence away. But to throw someone in jail for 20 years? No way. The kid made an awful mistake, he shouldn't pay for it for the rest of his life.

RIP
Don't call it a mistake, call it manslaughter.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The Kadvang said:
What is the jail time for that?
I don't know.

I would hope he is inconvenienced for at least the next 5 years. Hopefully longer.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
it takes practice to drive and use a phone at the same time

obviously he hasnt practiced enough

but usualy when i use it for texting, if there is a ped or a bicyclist on the right, ill stop with the phone till im away from them so i dont run them over

splat

Nam I am
The Kadvang said:
The Guy he hit paid for it with his life. and even if he is put away for 20 years , in 20 years he will have his life back , will the guy he hit ? and what about the Guys wife ? Children , Mother, Father , etc ,etc. one persons carelessness has Ended one mans Life and changed many many others.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
The Kadvang said:
What is the jail time for that?
I think at least 5 years.

Why only a misdemeanor charge? This is obviously manslaughter and as someone else said, not much different than killing someone while drunk. I've tried talking on a phone while driving, it's hard. But this kid was texting, so not only was he distracted, he wasn't even looking at the road. I almost got hit by a lady in a massive SUV on her phone, she suddenly pulled over to the side of the road and stopped when I was behind her (without signaling). I was mad.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Kadvang said:

RIP
He's not going away for 20. He might do 7, but probably 5.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
splat said:
The Guy he hit paid for it with his life. and even if he is put away for 20 years , in 20 years he will have his life back , will the guy he hit ? and what about the Guys wife ? Children , Mother, Father , etc ,etc. one persons carelessness has Ended one mans Life and changed many many others.
Why ruin the life of two people? One is horrible enough.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
captainpolution said:
it takes practice to drive and use a phone at the same time

obviously he hasnt practiced enough

but usualy when i use it for texting, if there is a ped or a bicyclist on the right, ill stop with the phone till im away from them so i dont run them over
How about not using the phone at all while driving unless you absolutely have to? "Practice" or not, you cannot concentrate as well if you're fiddling with a phone or talking on one.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
caputo1989 said:
I am against text messaging all together. I rarely tak on the phone when Im driving.
whys that. if you just have to tell a person just one thing its cheaper than calling them. for instance. with my plan i get 400 texts a month for 5 bucks. know spending a minute on my phone costs more than that

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Did you read the article at all? :rolleyes:

People make mistakes. Some are worse than others. I'm not saying what this kid did was acceptable, but as Kanvang points out, ruining two lives instead of one is quite pointless. I think 5 years would be more than sufficent time for the kid to brood on his mistake. It's not like twenty years of brooding is going to give him some revalation that 5 years didn't.

And splat, in 20 years he will not have his life back.

That said, RIP. It is always sad when a fellow biker leaves us. :(

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I hate hearing about stupid sh*t like this. Its too damn scary out there... all of a sudden driving a car has gotten to easy.. we need to do a hundred other things while we do it. and then you see something like this that has little or no consequence :angry: :angry: :angry: