Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ill be more interested in Ferrari's 599XX hybrid program with KERS.
This does have KERS.

Autoblog: Videos: Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid uses Williams F1 flywheel KERS

The hybrid drive system being used by Porsche in its new 911 GT3 R isn't what you find in your average Prius or Fusion. Instead of a battery for energy storage, the 911 will use an electro-mechanical flywheel. The system being used was actually developed by the Williams formula one team and its Williams Hybrid Power subsidiary.

The system is comprised of an electrically driven flywheel and a motor/generator on the gearbox. During braking the gearbox mounted generator drives the flywheel to spin it up to 40,000 rpm. When needed for extra acceleration, the flywheel drives its integrated motor/generator to spin provide power back to the unit on the gearbox.

In the case of the 911, a pair motor generators are actually on the front wheels instead of the single unit on the gearbox as it was on the Williams F1 car last year. This provides more regenerative braking capability as well as all wheel drive.

The flywheel itself is made of a composite material that is infused with magnetic particles when it is being molded. This actually acts as the permanent magnet for the motor, helping to keep the overall weight down. The result is a very efficient system with less mass than a battery system and the ability to absorb energy more rapidly than a battery similar to an ultracapaitor. Like ultracapacitors the downside for automotive applications is limited energy storage capacity.

As a result, electric driving is limited meaning that this really behaves more like a mild hybrid system than a strong hybrid. However, the power output is closer to what is available from most strong hybrids. Williams Hybrid Power is working with a number of automakers on implementing its flywheel system although only Porsche has been publicly identified. Porsche's has setup a microsite for its new Hybrid racecar, and for more details, make the jump for the release and a video explaining the system, along with two promo videos.
Hotness. Again, video at the link: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/11/videos-porsche-911-gt3-r-hybrid-uses-williams-f1-flywheel-kers/ . Also note the Porsche microsite for the car: http://www.porsche.com/microsite/intelligent-performance/international.aspx

Update: another GT3 R Hybrid video:

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Kia Motors America took the wraps off the Ray concept at the 2010 Chicago Auto Show. There’s no denying the show car reveals a decidedly sportier side of Kia, the likes of which we’ve not previously seen (although the Forte Koup and the 2011 Sonata have definitely shown some flair). But beyond its sleek body, the Ray plug-in hybrid sedan is also proof that Kia is continuing to make strides with its EcoDynamics sub-brand, the goal of which is to “develop innovative fuel-stretching and emissions-cutting technologies.” Kia says the Ray concept “demonstrates a prospective plug-in hybrid vehicle configuration.”

The 4-door, 4-seat Ray concept is a compact sedan based on the Forte platform. It’s the fifth vehicle to come from Kia Design Center America in Irvine, California, over the last year (previous: Soul, Forte, Forte Koup and Sorento). The Ray concept uses lightweight materials throughout (many which are recycled) to aid in the car’s efficiency, along with solar cells embedded into the roof-top glass panel that power the climate control system. The roof also features glazing materials said to “dramatically” reduce heat in an effort to keep the interior cool.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I thought I'd put this here as although it's not "alternative transport" where I live it's probably not something most of you see in your neck of the woods. As of today I'm the semi-proud owner of this; (well, one exactly like this)

A Daihatsu Mira, a Japanese kei-car or yellow plate car. A kei car is a special type of vehicle in Japan where the size, weight and engine size/power are restricted. It's actually a big section of the market in Japan, maybe a third of all passengers cars have yellow plates. All manufacturers bar Toyota (who own Daihatsu) have fingers in the pie though some run rebadged vehicles from other manufacturers. The basic advantage of owning this type of vehicle are in the extremely favourable tax savings compared to other more robustly engined modes of transportation. Basically in Japan the bigger your donk the more you pay.

We were running with my wife's old man's ex-car, a lovely Toyota that ran well but we knew a new car was in our future as the aforementioned tax regime makes running older cars financially silly. When the radiator on it went in December we knew it was time. I initially had my eye on something similar to a Mazda Demio (3?) or a Honda Fit but after much discussion with her indoors (basically her saying no over and over again) we went off to look at the options.

My basic line of reasoning went "if you're gonna go full midget then go to the midget experts". So Suzuki and Daihatsu were top of the list. I wanted the best fuel economy I could get and I made a short-list of models from the above two plus a Subaru. I had very low expectations going into this as I had driven this class of vehicle before and was very underwhelmed. Automobile purists need not apply, these are very utilitarian modes of transport. First up was the Suzuki Alto and my enthusiasm hit rock bottom, distinctly unimpressed I reluctantly moved on to the Daihatsu dealership. Fortunately the Mira was an altogether more pleasant vehicle to drive (more later). I did go to the Subaru dealer but not only did they not have a car to test drive but they seemed distinctly uninterested in selling me a car, a not unheard of criticism of Subaru in Japan. So back to the Daihatsu dealer to see just what they could do for me.

After the Prius and the Insight the Mira gets the best fuel economy of any car in Japan. From the tiny 660cc, 3 cylinder engine the Daihatsu boffins have absolutely wrung its neck and obtained a gut wrenching 43kws of power (at 7200 rpm!!!!) with 65 N-m of torque at 4000 rpm. Coupled with the CVT transmission and a curb weight of only 780kgs I can expect somewhere around 25km/l (60+ mpg). Other cars in the class put out between 37-40 kws so the extra 10% of power is pretty noticeable but only in the sense that at 5'10" I'm a giant in Japan.

Well it arrived today and.....well I kinda like it. Being Japan it has all the things a grown-up car has, ABS, air-con, central-locking and so on. Although it takes a bit of getting used to, the CVT gearbox is pretty nice. You accelerate and it hits, say, 3000 rpm and stays there even though the car is still accelerating, very odd sensation but it's pretty obvious how this is great for fuel economy. It's no traffic light star but moves off nicely, brakes well, is a breeze to park and the high-beam will melt a cops sunglasses from 500 metres. Obviously HID headlight tech has progressed nicely since my last new car purchase in 2001. The proof of the pudding is of course in the eating so I'll see how we go over the next while.

So what's does this all mean for you V8 loving, earth raping American swine. Well not much really as this car is totally unsuited to the endless highway cruising you find in the US and Australia. As a commuter, well maybe, but I still think the Japanese authorities would be better off with a slighter bigger engine size as the 660cc limit handcuffs things a bit. I think around 900cc might be a bit better of a sweet spot but for now this is what it is.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I approve of kei-cars. Awesome.

I saw the Nissan Leaf in the flesh today. Tomorrow marks the last day of the Leaf's USA tour. The car making the rounds is the same one that showed up at the auto shows. Fun facts: price TBD, theoretically shipping by the end of the calendar year (yeah, we've heard that line before), 80 kW motor, 24 kWh Li-Mn battery iirc designed to be used between 90% and 10% depth of discharge, and both fast chargers for 240V-equipped garages and a really high voltage DC charger for institutions.

My shots of it (horribly boring video to come later this weekend):

The cargo area is quite tall! I was impressed.

Both sides of the charging apparatus.

Fancypants dashboard designed for my generation.

Jessica liked it.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A short video showing the Leaf that I whipped together this morning, all footage shot by yours truly:

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
TTAC, normally only good for snarky comments on GM's demise and Jack Baruth pounding his chest about how he drives 100+ on public roads routinely, actually has a really good feature today:

TTAC: A Brief Illustrated History Of Automotive Aerodynamics – Part1, By Paul Niedermeyer on February 14, 2010

An example of the pre-WWII aerodynamic cars that he features in part I:

Part II covers the 1930s through 1960s or so: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/a-brief-illustrated-history-of-automotive-aerodynamics-part-2/

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Endless-Sphere.com - EV-1 series hybrid conversion.

This crazy gentleman is out to convert a GM EV-1 to a series hybrid, with a 25-35 kWh genset, the original NiMH (or lead, might have been a 1st series vehicle) removed, and intermediate power storage all through ultracapacitors. Hotness.

To think that GM had _this_ all ready, and threw it all away.

Empty battery tray filled with rat crap from a decade of disuse. EV-1s that were donated to universities, such as this example, had their drivetrain stripped.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Volvo C30 BEV will not be coming to the US.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/17/report-electric-volvo-c30-wont-arrive-in-u-s/

I fear that this will be a common tale in the upcoming years. The EU has mandates for CO2 reduction on their automobile manufacturers but the US is content to pussyfoot about the issue through the relatively weak CAFE then proceed to complain when all that's offered on the market are 15 mpg trucks and 20 mpg minivans.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would still be happiest with a 1/2 ton truck running a small diesel and large turbo. I haul crap, not people, so a bench seat fits my lifestyle. Hauling motorcycles and bikes and stuff it what I use my vehicle for.

Once I have my shop, my first "shop truck" will be something like a Gen 2 Toyota with a VW TDI. Small, quiet, quick, and easy on the MPG.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
TTAC, normally only good for snarky comments on GM's demise and Jack Baruth pounding his chest about how he drives 100+ on public roads routinely, actually has a really good feature today:

TTAC: A Brief Illustrated History Of Automotive Aerodynamics – Part1, By Paul Niedermeyer on February 14, 2010

An example of the pre-WWII aerodynamic cars that he features in part I:

Part II covers the 1930s through 1960s or so: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/a-brief-illustrated-history-of-automotive-aerodynamics-part-2/

And now we have part III of the series, the finale taking us through the current day:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/an-illustrated-history-of-automotive-aerodynamics-part-3-finale/

Contrast the Aptera above with its Cd of 0.15 and low frontal area with the Hummer H2 below.

Needless to say, the SUV phase set aerodynamic influence in that segment back to the horse and buggy era. The ultimate wind-offender was the Hummer H2, which not only sported a .57 Cd, but its total aero drag of 26.5 sq. ft. is the highest on record for any modern vehicle listed.
This from the company that brought us the EV1 a few posts back… for shame.

I agree with the author's conclusion:

[The Aptera 2e's] Cd of .15 is stellar, but substantial compromises are involved. Its highly unlikely that this represents the shape of mass-production cars in the foreseeable future. But if the available energy resources for a rapidly expanding base of of global energy consumers and auto buyers happens to runs into a collision course, cars like the Aptera may well represent a possible solution to maintain personal mobility.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Once I have my shop, my first "shop truck" will be something like a Gen 2 Toyota with a VW TDI. Small, quiet, quick, and easy on the MPG.
i think i have the plans for the engine/trans adapter in a email somewhere.....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1. Rinspeed thinks the future will look like this. The concept of a small electric car that is designed to fit on trains for intercity transport is interesting.

2. Two RAV4 EV-driving Bay Area types got to review a Mitsubishi iMiEV for a week, and they liked it (predictably):

http://blogs.pluginamerica.org/outreach/2010/02/zan-and-paul-test-the-mitsubishi-imiev.html

Key points include weight < 2400 lbs, a 16 kWh pack (as opposed to the 24 kWh in the Leaf), and good interior room despite it not being too much bigger than the 1st-gen Insight in the photo.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yeah I was surprised when I took an Icar for a test.... for such a tiny car (so awesome to park in a town like this) it was incredibly roomy inside! :eek:
Might buy one for the sales staff to use in a year or so. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Infrastructurist: How Do Americans Get to Work? Transit Patterns in Major Cities

Every year, millions of Americans spend more than 100 hours commuting to and from work &#8212; more time than the full duration of a two-week vacation. So how are all these people, the bulk of them in urban areas, getting to the office? Artist Martha Kang McGill illustrates the commuting habits of eight major U.S. cities, illustrating just who is driving, walking, biking, or taking mass transit. All stats are based on the 2008 U.S. Census Bureau American Community Survey.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Cool graphic. I would love to see it compared against cities of the world - do you know if this information is available somewhere?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Moni, such data must be out there, and I'm sure some thinktank has compiled them and done such a study. I can't find it easily, unfortunately.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wired.com: Take That, Chevy Volt! Cal Poly Car Gets 2,752 MPG

A team of mechanical engineering students at California Polytechnic State University is prepping an ultra high-mileage, three-wheeled car for the upcoming Shell Eco-Marathon student competition. If all goes well, they&#8217;ll take first place with fuel economy more than 13 times higher than the 230 mpg General Motors claims the Chevrolet Volt will deliver &#8212; and Cal Poly car doesn&#8217;t even need batteries.

The Cal Poly Supermileage Team, launched in the late &#8217;80s and resurrected in 2005, combines students from a senior project team and a department club to work on vehicles that deliver numbers that make hypermilers and plug-in hybrid enthusiasts weep. The team is working on two cars: the Black Widow (shown above), which took first place in the 2007 Eco-Marathon and second place in 2008 and 2009, and a new three-wheeler for the competition&#8217;s Urban Concept category.

&#8220;In the past, the competition has been held on closed race tracks, but this year, it is in downtown Houston,&#8221; said team president Verent Chan. &#8220;Road conditions will be worse, which may negatively affect our fuel economy, but we still are aiming for the No. 1 spot.&#8221;

While the Urban Concept vehicle is still under construction, the team has continuously improved the Black Widow since its creation in 2005, slowly ratcheting up fuel economy from 861 mpg to the current 2752.3 mpg. They&#8217;ve done it by shedding pounds like a Triple Crown jockey on a celery diet in a steam room. At a mere 96 pounds, the car weighs slightly more than a Lagerfeld model, has a rock-bottom drag coefficient of 0.12 and can reach a blistering 30 mph with a modified 3 horsepower Honda 50cc four-stroke engine. That&#8217;s right &#8212; three horsepower.

And, Colin Chapman be praised, it can go faster.

&#8220;The car is capable of higher speeds, but the fastest we&#8217;ve ever taken it is somewhere around 35 mph,&#8221; Chan said. &#8220;This is because we are trying to maximize the fuel efficiency for the competition. If we wanted to reach higher speeds, the engine has enough power. We would just need to set up our gear ratios differently.&#8221;

The fuel and weight savings are tremendous, but Chan says we shouldn&#8217;t expect to see cars like the Black Widow outside of competitions. This baby, as cool as it is, is purely academic.

&#8220;By no means are we developing cutting edge technology that will be used in future vehicles,&#8221; he said. &#8220;More than anything, our club is training engineers to push the boundaries of efficiency so when they enter the working world, it will be no different in how they approach other designs.&#8221;

This year&#8217;s Eco-Marathon runs March 26-28. We&#8217;ll be sure to root for the Black Widow.

Photo: Cal Poly Supermileage Team
Interestingly enough that's significantly more efficient than even my lowly, even slower electric bicycle. Aerodynamics trump mass at a certain point.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here's a Swiss maker of "feet forward motorcycles," Peraves. From what I can gather they made a previous product, the Ecomobile, for many years until 2005, and now have one called the Monotracer.

Company page with broken Monotracer link: http://www.peraves.ch/index.php
Monotracer page with scant info: http://www.monotracer.com/?page=gallery
Jeremy Clarkson tested the Ecomobile back when he was younger: http://www.wimp.com/ecomobiletests/

The Monotracer itself is one of the alternative class entries in the Progressive Automotive X Prize, and it is offered in electric and BMW K-series inline-4-powered variants.

Digging a little deeper in Google's cache yields some Monotracer specs, and frankly they are pretty disappointing for the gasoline version. 50 MPG for 50k Euros?! No thanks. It's too bad as it does look very space agey, just up my alley?

Monotracer specs via Google's page cache[/url said:
"Twice the fun with half the gas"
MonoTracer powerfull motor sports vehicle combining all the benefits of sportcars and motorbikes.
The MonoTracer, a new dimension in fun on the road. This revolutionary concept by PERAVES gives you top road dynamics at sensationally low consumption figures and CO2-emissions below 90 gr/km.
Driving the MonoTracer is like flying two feet off the ground.

composite-monocoque, aircraft-materials, swiss-quality,Ceramic brake discs and brake pads optional.
The MonoTracer skimming the road, can lean to about 52 degrees and it has a turning circle and corner speed otherwise only achievable on a top-of-the-range sports bike. And the drive is spectacular.

3 x 320mm brake discs

Acceleration 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) = 5.7 sec.
Top speed in excess of 250 kph. (155 mph)

Fuel consumption (ISO 7118):
4.15 liters/100km at constant 90 kph (57 mpg at constant 56 mph)
5.05 liters/100km at constant 120 kph (47 mpg at constant 75 mph)

Summary
? The last car on earth
? Small-series shortcomings?
? Bugs in the teeth and the 911 syndrome
? The Angle of Dangle
? Expanding the concept of driving - for whom?
? Switzerland - Land of the MonoTracer
? Design & More
? Facts & Figures
The last car on earth
Ferry Porsche once remarked that the last car to be built on earth would surely be a sports car. By that he meant that products of limited usefulness will still be bought even when things are getting tight and that there's no substitute for real fun - unless it's more of the same. Driving the MonoTracer is like flying two feet off the ground. And fast, very fast indeed, if need be. But even more important for today's drivers, "MonoTracing" within legal speed limits also has its pleasures. The world simply looks friendlier from the cockpit.
Small-series shortcomings?
We quote Porsche and talk about the 911 because we are all fans of this iconic sports car. So too are many of our clients. How many prototypes of the 911 were ever built by Porsche? Frankly, we don't know. What we do know, however, is that we've built 90 MonoTracer prototypes called ECOMOBILE. They have notched up more than 12 million kilometers over the last 20 years. With 10 such vehicles we criss-crossed the USA in 1996 from Atlanta to Montana and back, 11,000 kms in 3 weeks, from the burning heat of the Arizona desert to the icy heights of the Rocky Mountains, and all without a single technical problem.
Bugs in the teeth and the Porsche 911 syndrome
We're well aware that words alone are unlikely to convince a true biker of the advantages of cabin motorcycles; nor will they convert a dyed-in-the-wool 911 driver. Sports cars and motorcycles both have their fans, and rightly so. The only way to win them over is to belt them into the back seat of our machine and take them for a spin, taunting the cars and superbikes at every bend in the road. They will soon see the MonoTracer for what it is - the perfect combination of a sporty touring motorcycle and a real "lean machine" sports car. In short, it's the ideal vehicle for year-round fun.
The Angle of Dangle
The best motorcycle tires for highway use on the market today allow a lean angle of about 55 degrees. Out of every 100 superbike owners in the GSX-R, Fireblade, Ninja, K1200S, R1 and 999R league maybe 20 have ever leaned their machines beyond 40 degrees. A maximum of 5 will regularly tip more than 45 degrees. And most of those sporty riders will limit their angle of lean by excessive "hanging off", thus also limiting their speed in the curve. The MonoTracer with its "knee" (the retracted stabilizer tire) skimming the road, can lean to about 52 degrees and it has a turning circle and corner speed otherwise only achievable on a top-of-the-range sports bike. Of course, dry and clean roads are an essential requirement for such antics. If the surface is right there is no danger. And the drive is spectacular.
Expanding the concept of driving - for whom?
The MonoTracer is aimed at an international clientele and customers will obviously have to be fairly well-heeled. For their 52,500 Euros (basic price without VAT) they could also buy a Cayman, SLK or Z4, but those machines all lack the exclusivity guaranteed by an annual production of only 100 vehicles. And with the MonoTracer you also get the performance of a 911 combined with the unrivalled exhilaration of a superbike's angles of lean thrown in for free! Many of our clients have an academic education, 911-experience, a pilot's license and have driven or ridden the original 21 kilometre Nurburgring race track for real, not just on the Playstation. All of them are past or current motorcycle enthusiasts. Many are over 40, the age when rheumatism can start to set in. Most have to be at work on Monday, without suffering from the aches and pains of a weekend's racing. With the MonoTracer they use the same vehicle for commuting to the office as they do for getting their kicks at the weekend.
Switzerland - Land of the MonoTracer
Nowhere will you find more radar speed traps than in the MonoTracer's home country, here in Switzerland. The number of high-tech firms with mutually useful skills also seems to be higher than anywhere else. A mere 3000 years since the invention of the wheel and after 120 years of conventional cars and motorcycles, this environment has helped to create a third and truly different class of vehicle: the cabin motorcycle. There have been some 50 such vehicles on Switzerland's roads for 20 years now in the form of the Ecomobile and they have become a familiar sight here. With the advent of the MonoTracer, a truly modern design of cabin two wheeler has now been added to the mix.
Design & More
For decades the first rule for excellent design has been "form follows function". The cabin motorcycle was born with this maxim as part of its genetic make-up. For the MonoTracer rather more emphasis was placed on things like surface finish, detail workmanship, selection of materials, joint tolerances etc. so that it can bear comparison with the best models from major manufacturers of both two and four wheeled vehicles. To achieve that goal the MonoTracer has been developed with the help of suppliers to the very biggest players in the vehicle market.
Facts & Figures
Vehicle body & structure
Self-supporting composite-monocoque made from glass, kevlar and carbon weave bonded with epoxy-resin and reinforced with strong aluminium crash and roll bars. Engine frame, steering head and stabilizer axles made from aircraft grade alloy steel. Front suspension Marzocchi 50mm USD-fork, rear Monolever shaft swingarm. Gull-wing- door with integrated sunroof, opening to the left. Glazing made from tinted PMMA in aviation quality. 200 liter baggage compartment
Mechanics
4 cylinder in-line BMW K-engine 1171cc, 16 valves, liquid cooling. Dry reinforced single plate clutch. Sequential PG-gearbox with 4 forward speeds and electrically locked reverse, shifted by push-button selector on left handlebar. Automatic clutch optional. Reinforced BMW shaft drive. 3 x 320mm brake discs with 4-piston-hydraulic callipers, fully integrated electronic ABS. Ceramic brake discs and brake pads, ASP anti spin control optional. Computer-supervised electrically operated stabilizer servo system, with a deployment time of less than half a second (Semi-automatic, hydraulically operated "softmode" system optional).
Equipment + Accessories
Contoured seats with 3-point automatic safety belts. Interior lining in high-tech material with sound-absorbing padding. Heating + ventilation system with ample flow and intake air filter. Full air-conditioning optional. GPS-RDS-4LSP-audio-system. "Tempomat" cruise control, Bi-Xenon-lights, CD-players optional.
Operation
Motorcycle-type handlebars with extra functions. Clutch pedal, gear and stabilizer switches on left, integrated brake operation by right foot pedal, auxiliary brake lever and conventional throttle on right hand.
Technical Specifications
Dry weight: 460-485 kgs. (1014-1069 lbs.) depending on options chosen
Maximum load: 685 kgs. (1510 lbs.)
50 liter (14 US gallon) fuel tank

Dimensions: Length = 3.65m (12 ft.), Width = 1.25 m (4 ft. 1") with Stabilizers up, 1.40m (4 ft. 7") with Stabilizers down, Height = 1.52m (5 ft.)
Service interval: 25,000 km / 15,000 miles or annually (whichever comes first)
Engine power output 96 kW / 130 HP at 8750 rpm, max. torque 117 Nm at 6750 rpm
Motronic-controlled injection and 3-way catalytic converter.
Acceleration 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) = 5.7 sec.
Top speed in excess of 250 kph. (155 mph)
Stopping distance: 100kph-0 = 43 meters (141 ft.)
Turning circle between walls 8.5 meters (28 ft.)
Fuel consumption (ISO 7118):
4.15 liters/100km at constant 90 kph (57 mpg at constant 56 mph)
5.05 liters/100km at constant 120 kph (47 mpg at constant 75 mph)

Basic price ex factory 52,500 Euros (+ local VAT)

2 year warranty on whole machine; in addition, there is a 25 year warranty on the composite body and metal framework

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
another pic of the Lotus Proton

Lotus has provided a sneak peak at the underpinnings of its Proton concept ahead of the city car's world debut at next week's Geneva Motor Show, and while it isn't much to go on, it's a keen glimpse into the automaker's future plans.

According to Lotus, the concept, penned by Italdesign, will be the first use of Lotus' Range Extender engine, a series hybrid equipped with a 1.2-liter three-cylinder that sends electrical power to the drive motors and on to a single speed transmission. The city car can be plugged in to any AC main, allowing the driver to run off electricity alone for an unspecified range.

The Lotus Range Extender was originally unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show last year and if Lotus continues at this clip, we could see the city car on sale within the next three years. Full details in the press release after the jump.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/22/geneva-preview-lotus-provides-a-peak-at-proton-city-car-concept/

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Lexus's new hybrid

Coming in at 170 inches long, 69.5 inches wide and 56 inches tall, with a 102-inch wheelbase, the CT 200h is suspended by a MacPherson suspension in front, a double wishbone arrangement in the rear and 17-inch multi-spoke wheels.

Motivation comes courtesy of a 1.8-liter VVT-i-equipped four-cylinder gasoline engine putting out an unspecified output, with a electronically-controlled continuously variable transmission feeding power to the front wheels. A nickel-metal hydride battery pack is mounted below the cargo hold, and three driving modes are available &#8211; Eco, Normal and Sport &#8211; along with the ability to drive in full EV mode

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
&#8230; and America probably won't get it. Gah. Looks like something that'd be up my alley in a few years: hatchback, Lexus, hybrid.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Wow, that's like Jimmy Carter's idea taken to the logical and stupid extreme. Why not limit everyone to walking speed if that's more efficient yet?
Don't think that with global tension over oil that being reduced to walking speed isn't entirely out of the question. Don't you think that if everyone went for a bit of a walk everyday rather than a bit of a drive we wouldn't be better off?

The uniform speed limit was signed into law by Nixon. Carter told people to turn down the thermostat and put on a sweater as well as put solar panels on the whitehouse which Reagan removed.

Your reaction to the proposal is no different than 90 percent of the well intentioned do nothings. Everyone wants to save the planet, reduce our consumption and get the burden of foreign oil off of our back, but everyone wants to do it with 350 hp or zero to 60 times under 5 seconds. What most see as an inconvenience, I see as a glimmer of hope. I see the possibility of my kids having just a bit more if I sacrifice the ability and so-called need to do 90 miles an hour.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001