Quantcast

The beginning of designing my own dh frame.

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
Well the last couple of days I have been sketching up some frames and this one seemed to be the simplest design and it seemed like it would work the best. This is my first time ever to try to design a frame. It's also my first time ever using paint so don't critisize me there please. I know the angles and all that are off but I'm mainly looking for comments about the overall suspension design and idea of the bike. Please comment. (If the pic doesn't show up I'll keep trying to get it on...it's my first time putting pics too.) I'm highly open to constructive critisizm but please just don't say it sucks and give no reason. By the way the black circles are bearings.

Attachments

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
I warned you that I was bad. That circular piece is like a piviot. In other words it's not part of the shock. The shock bolts to the end of that piviot. I hope that helps. Here is a slightly edited pic of it.

Attachments

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
Why not???
As I said the black circles are bearings. There are 3 bearings located on the seattube so the 2 bearings on the rear triangle will make the rear triangle bearing above go up and down. Then the bearing above the top bearing of the rear triangle will move when the rear triangle moves which will make that U shaped piece apply pressure on the shock, therefore compressing the shock. I know I sound like a moron but just please try to understand what I'm saying.

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
WestCoastHucker: Thankyou I needed fo somebody tell me why and you did. I'm thinking of having the bearings hook onto each the side of the seat tube. I'll try to sketch something up in a sec to show you what i mean. So 1 bearing would be on each side of the seat tube with the seat tube in the middle. Like a similar design on the single pivot bikes as in lthe 1 bearing on each side type of thing.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Why not???
As I said the black circles are bearings. There are 3 bearings located on the seattube so the 2 bearings on the rear triangle will make the rear triangle bearing above go up and down. Then the bearing above the top bearing of the rear triangle will move when the rear triangle moves which will make that U shaped piece apply pressure on the shock, therefore compressing the shock. I know I sound like a moron but just please try to understand what I'm saying.
It won't move. Just please understand what we are saying. Just remove the top bearing and concentrate on the 2 pivots connected to the swingarm.
2 pivot + 3 solid bodies (seat-tube, chainstay and seatstay) = back to the drawing board.

Good luck.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I guess it was a dumb idea to even try. Sorry for wasting your time.
Certainly not a dumb idea to try! The frame idea could be perfected :clue:, but if you like to think about frame designs...don't stop after one unsuccessful attempt!!

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
i was curious, about why you were trying to design a frame, just something to do, to do something different than whats there? or?

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
why don't you sketch it with notes as to what should move and where, scan it, and then post it.

Never a dumb idea, I've got tons of sketches of designs and with any luck I might be able to make one next year.

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
Well I just wanted to try it for fun to see what I could come up with but so far I haven't comeup with anthing. All I need is a base to start off of. If somebody has a design or something they don't mind me using, could you please post it?

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
just copy a bike you find on the net.
or try and build a model out of lego or something like that.

I think you should practice your mechanical insight first, judging on the things you have drawn.

Also download http://www.bikechecker.com/ free version works fine for getting some more understanding.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
why not start by listing the reason you want to make your own frame. include what you like and dont like about current frames. Thats what should drive your design, not just new for the sake of new, leave that to the big manufacturers :)

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
Ok so I've done some editing and I think this will work better but I can't figure out how to get the shok in there. The line is around where I would want the shock to be positioned. If someone could kinda fill in the shock and get it in there that would be great. I just don't know what angle and how to mount the shock. BTW: That linkage pogram won't let me open like a new to start my own. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
just copy a bike you find on the net.
or try and build a model out of lego or something like that.

I think you should practice your mechanical insight first, judging on the things you have drawn.

Also download http://www.bikechecker.com/ free version works fine for getting some more understanding.
WOW that really is an amazing program. There goes all my free time for the next few months:biggrin:

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
not sure what near the BB is but isnt it essentially a pseudo 4 bar? someone tell me if im wrong im no expert at all

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
Well I decided to totally change the rear end. Once again another design that will not work but I'll try anyways. I may need to remove the bearing placed on top of the shock attached to the sea tube. I'm not sure. If someon could take one of these frames bck into paint and edit it so it would actually work that would be awesome.

Attachments

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Now it will move. The problem now is that the chainstay will have to be way long.

Try a simple single pivot like this.

(The swingarm isn't connected to the seattube at all). If there was a bolt going through it and the seatube, it wouldn't move.

To be connected to the seattube, it would need a link like this.

Last edited:

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
How about designing something a little less complex. Especially something you're not going to kill yourself riding. Maybe a new pivoting camp fork/spoon combo or something.

It just doesn't seem like you have the engineering know-how to even get this thing started. I'm not trying to bring you down but asking you to really think this through. Slapping a pivot and shock onto a bike a different locations (at will) isn't really "engineering" anything.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Ok iron1, I took your original design, and your description of what you wanted, and heres what I ended up with in Solidworks.

Its a shortbar 4link, full floating push/push design with a slightly progressive to almost linear shock curve and an IC path similar to a SUNDAY. I must say, you are quite the genious, this design just might be the next big thing. Sadly the only part I had in this was drawing, and since I mainly draw only for artistic purposes in SolidWorks, I have no idea what I'm actually doing with all that fandangled math numbers and fisics. I will leave you with this complex 3D draft and you should be able to have these produced in any factory around the world I would think. Good luck taking over the bike industry man :thumb:

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ok iron1, I took your original design, and your description of what you wanted, and heres what I ended up with in Solidworks.

Its a shortbar 4link, full floating push/push design with a slightly progressive to almost linear shock curve and an IC path similar to a SUNDAY. I must say, you are quite the genious, this design just might be the next big thing. Sadly the only part I had in this was drawing, and since I mainly draw only for artistic purposes in SolidWorks, I have no idea what I'm actually doing with all that fandangled math numbers and fisics. I will leave you with this complex 3D draft and you should be able to have these produced in any factory around the world I would think. Good luck taking over the bike industry man :thumb:

You just made a Fusion.......which works quite well.
http://www.fusionbikes.de/bikes/

iron1

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
MobileChernobyl: Thank you so much. That was exactly what I needed.Now I know what I did wrong. You seriously have no idea how much you have helped me. Do you mind me using that design with some slight modifications?

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
You just made a Fusion.......which works quite well.
http://www.fusionbikes.de/bikes/

Almost but not quite unless they have a design I'm not aware of. What I made was really a joke, but it does have some merit. If you plug it into linkage it is a legit design. Fusion uses more of the "horst" link design - and therefore their lower bar (chainstay) has a lower angular velocity - making the top link do most of the shock work, just like most horst designs (sans demos). I think its overall more boring.

iron1 - go right ahead. If you have the means to make the frame you can use the design, by all means please use it lol over your previous designs. It will work, and shouldn't ride any worse than anything out there right now. However its just a concept drawing, the points aren't given, so you'll hafta play around with that. You will hafta get creative with resevoir interference with the top link frame mount - nothing a creative mind can't figure out. The lower link will fit inside a cradle with an 83mm BB no problem.
-Realize I just drew this more as a joke punning on all the paint "will this work" threads... but it will work. Its not really a solidworks model - its a screen shot with a blue square over it and the frame drawn in paint using known pivot points - accurate to paint standards.

Last edited: