Quantcast

The Best 100mm fork?

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
Looking to get a new fork in the future, and honestly, i kinda dont wanna just settle for something, I want to get one of the best forks out there, and just do it right the first time.

What is the best DJ/DS fork out there? I want it to be smooth, strong, fast, and somewhat light (at least lighter than my DJ3).

Needs to be 80-100mm of travel. and 20mm thru-axle is a must.

Fox Talas? Rock Shox Argyle? Manitou Minute? Marzocchi 4x or DJ1? What else is out there?

What are the top 3 best DJ/DS forks made? Durable, fast, strong, smooth....

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Fox float 36 lowered (4.8 pounds)
rock shox pike 454 dual air lowered (4.5 pounds)
rock shox revelation dual air lowered (3.9ish pounds)
argyle 409 solo air (5 pounds)
rock shox lyrik solo air lowered (4.9 pounds)

and if you can settle with a 15mm axle (new hub or adapters for your current) get a
fox 831 (3.8ish pounds)

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
I ran a Pike for a few years. It was OK I guess. Seals blew a lot, it flexed a lot, but it took me two years to put a crack in it. I probably could've extorted another coupla months out of it before it cracked all the way though. And I am HARD on my ****.

Now I'm on a dropped 36 Float. **** is HOT. Feels amazing, no flex, no bottoming, easy to jam, light as hell.

Alternatively, scour the earth for a 2006 Marzocchi 66SL, rare as hell but probably the single best street fork out there when you drop it. Weighs as much as an Argyle, but won't break. Period.

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I'm looking at getting a new fork also as my current fork is bent. Does the Fox Float lower to 100mm and is the internal adjustment easy to adjust? I was looking at the Talas but this seems like the same thing without the external adjustment. Would that be a true statement? Thanks.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I'm looking at getting a new fork also as my current fork is bent. Does the Fox Float lower to 100mm and is the internal adjustment easy to adjust? I was looking at the Talas but this seems like the same thing without the external adjustment. Would that be a true statement? Thanks.
lowing a Foat is not hard you can also find floats that came at 100mm. I would stay away from a Talas. High failure rate and more expensive.
are you looking for qr or 15mm?

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to get a fork with a 20mm axle so I can easily swap wheels with my DH bike. I could care less about the qr part of it to be honest.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to get a fork with a 20mm axle so I can easily swap wheels with my DH bike. I could care less about the qr part of it to be honest.
fox float 36 r or rc2 from 08 and up lowered to 100mm is incredible. I have an 09 36 rc2 lowered to 80mm and it is just awsome. i scored it for $500 and it is black. that is the only one with a 20mm axle and the only fork to have.
if it is just for street and dj you can find an R model for a really good price. it is enough for that use but if you score an RC2 like i did even better. reason i say 08 and up is because that is when fox stared the FIT cartridge and qr 20mm.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
fox float 36 r or rc2 from 08 and up lowered to 100mm is incredible. I have an 09 36 rc2 lowered to 80mm and it is just awsome. i scored it for $500 and it is black. that is the only one with a 20mm axle and the only fork to have.
if it is just for street and dj you can find an R model for a really good price. it is enough for that use but if you score an RC2 like i did even better. reason i say 08 and up is because that is when fox stared the FIT cartridge and qr 20mm.
I will have my 08 fox float rc2 inthe next few days. can't wait. you are lucky to get a black one. i have the lame titanium color one coming. im going to sand it down and break out the rattle can on it. im getting mine for 330 bucks so it would cost me as much as a pike. its going on a transition double and im lowering it to 110 so im stoked.