Quantcast

The best bad component you've ever purchased

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
First gen mavic 823's. They supposedly added weight to them from the original 590g because they were too weak. I've been running 2 back wheels on them with revolution spokes and no problems for 4 or 5 years. I've landed short on 4-5m drops with only small dents in them, no problems so far. Bought them really cheap too since someone who had them didn't use them because he was afraid he would destroy them and they are stiff enough to run super lightweight spokes.

Also doesn't any 26'' bike that rides good a "best bad component" in 2015?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Oh yeah^
I love my V10.5 for everything except counting thenths of a second. I don't think there will ever be a DH bike as light and flickable with so much plushness. Mine sits at 31.5lb with Minion 2.7"s.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Oh yeah^
I love my V10.5 for everything except counting thenths of a second. I don't think there will ever be a DH bike as light and flickable with so much plushness. Mine sits at 31.5lb with Minion 2.7"s.
you have a 31.5lb DH bike with 2.7 Minions? All that tells me is the rest is built with nothing but lightweight fairy components and no regard whatsoever to reliability and durability

First gen mavic 823's. They supposedly added weight to them from the original 590g because they were too weak. I've been running 2 back wheels on them with revolution spokes and no problems for 4 or 5 years. I've landed short on 4-5m drops with only small dents in them, no problems so far. Bought them really cheap too since someone who had them didn't use them because he was afraid he would destroy them and they are stiff enough to run super lightweight spokes.

Also doesn't any 26'' bike that rides good a "best bad component" in 2015?
I loved my 823s.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
you have a 31.5lb DH bike with 2.7 Minions? All that tells me is the rest is built with nothing but lightweight fairy components and no regard whatsoever to reliability and durability
Next Lelandjt will tell us he/she weighs 110lbs.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
You'd be surprised. It's got 3 seasons without any broken parts except a rim I cracked while low on pressure. It even has a substantial seat. Maybe the Vivid Air could be considered questionable but I like it. Lots of carbon and Ti, 26" wheels, air suspension. I definitely weight weenied the build with Ti and alloy bolts, bladed spokes, and a general obsession with avoiding unnecessary weight but I didn't compromise durability (at least in my hands) or performance (unless you consider the air suspension a compromise). I could drop another 1/2lb+ with different seat, no bar end protectors, smaller tires, and XC pedals but I like it how it is.

Last edited:

Tim300wsm

sensitive teenager
Jul 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
You'd be surprised. It's got 3 seasons without any broken parts except a rim I cracked while low on pressure. It even has a substantial seat. Maybe the Vivid Air could be considered questionable but I like it. Lots of carbon and Ti, 26" wheels, air suspension. I definitely weight weenied the build with Ti and alloy bolts, bladed spokes, and a general obsession with avoiding unnecessary weight but I didn't compromise durability (at least in my hands) or performance (unless you consider the air suspension a compromise). I could drop another 1/2lb+ with different seat, no bar end protectors, smaller tires, and XC pedals but I like it how it is.

Do you have carbon brake rotors on that?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Donno, I sure didn't mind it. Swapping rims was simply a matter of zip tying the new rim to the old one and moving the spokes over. took about 20 minutes per wheel, and not having to carry tubes and having a lightweight rim with a great profile was quite nice. I don't like carrying a ton of shit on me when I ride, and I definitely don't like having to walk out because i didn't bother to carry a camelback. If I was rebuilding it with new spokes/nipples every time and had to relace it I might get annoyed, but I wasn't so it was pretty ezpz.