Factors
-light
-strong
-clean design

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
Oh no not another what is the best threads. Just kidding before the message board fashion police show there ability to act like dorks let me say this. I am a big fan of the AZONIC shorty stem. I have had one for 2 years now and love it. If you need a longer stem I am a proponent of the Race Face Diabolous stem. The only drawback to my AZONIC is it takes both 5 and six millimeter to remove the stem and the handlebars. No big deal just sayin'. As a matter of fact I rode Windrock with my Azonic shorty.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I've got two...

The ones that come with your fork, or the Kooka DH stem.
The Kooka is just an Ibeam. It is light AND strong.
Unfortunatly, I don't know if they make them anymore.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Is the Thomson available yet? I have tried the Azonic shorty for a while nd I liked it but I did think is was heavier than some. I have also heard good things about the RF stem. I should mention that I do more racing than anything else.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
spoke80 said:
Is the Thomson available yet? I have tried the Azonic shorty for a while nd I liked it but I did think is was heavier than some. I have also heard good things about the RF stem. I should mention that I do more racing than anything else.
Yep, I went from an Azonic shorty to a Thomson a few years back.
To be honest, I could not really tell a difference between the two,
but the Thomson is a lot lighter, so I stuck with it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the azonic shorty is a b!tch to install or remove on certain forks. and i'm not the only one who's had to manhandle these things occasionally. the thomson stem i got for my wife's bike sure is a chi-chi item and really light. i dig my woodman stem, but it's certainly heavier than a lot out there. not sure if they are made anymore, but the atomic stem is nice too.

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
Agreed, the Shorty's can be tough to deal with, but the Shorty Deluxe is a very nice stem and doesn't suffer from the same problem. But it costs a bunch of money and probably isn't the lightest.

I'd second whoever said go with the integrated stem. Everybody has one now. I'm sure will see some more for the Boxxer at Interbike. Maybe Truvativ now that they're part of the SRAM conglomerate?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
IMO a stem is one thing you don't need to be too particular about, pretty much any of the good ones will sit there quietly and do the job well. There are many that are about the same weight, cost, and stiffness. Find one that is the right length and doesn't have bolts sticking out to shred your knees and you're good to go. If you need a specific suggestion, go Race Face Diabolus.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
azonicbruce said:
Yes, the X4 is available. Go-Ride has the 50mm version that looks different than the other X4 versions.

I have been looking at the X4 but I think it only takes an OS bar. Is that correct?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have had everything from raceface to easton on my bikes. My FR bike has a Deus stem from raceface. It's billet, it's not welded, and it seems plenty strong for me.

Basicly if it's a billet stem you can't really go wrong. It's the welded ones you gotta watch out for. I dunno how many billet stems break but I'm guessing it's a hell of a lot less then welded ones.

I agree with the integrated stems. Light, lower stack height, and they simply work. I know I've seen some trick ones from Romic for the boxxer, Marzocchi has their own, and the Shermans should be comming out with something as well. Now some aftermarket companies need to make some different bolt on stems, not that I need one, but just so they are out there :)