Quantcast

The Best NFL Player of All Time (haters need not post)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I know this isnt bike related, but Ive been thinking alot about football lately since I got the NFL network, and I was wondering what some of you guys thought. Who was the greatest?

I know Im a homer for the bears, but no one, no one even came CLOSE to dominating the field the way this guy did.

Talk about mean...

Anyway, Walter Payton would be my #2, followed by Barry Sanders, and then Jerry Rice.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Homer Pick: Dan Marino :D

But the best would probably be a RB like Walter or Jim Brown or Barry... someone with a positive attitude taking a beating more than anyone else, making a big difference in the game, playing most downs.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Lawrence Taylor. He might have been famous for his extra cirricular activities, but he was the greatest outside linebacker of all time, possibly better then Butkus.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
sanjuro said:
Lawrence Taylor. He might have been famous for his extra cirricular activities, but he was the greatest outside linebacker of all time, possibly better then Butkus.
I was watching "The Sports List" and they ranked the best LBs of all time as LT #1, Butkus #2, Singletary #3.
I think that for their time, both LT and Butkus pretty well redefined their positions, and I coulnt win an argument for or against either.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would put Jerry Rice higher than Barry Sanders and Walter Payton. His stunning stats and all world intangibles put him at least on par with the last two guys, but his 4 Super Bowl rings clearly make him better.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BurlyShirley said:
I was watching "The Sports List" and they ranked the best LBs of all time as LT #1, Butkus #2, Singletary #3.
I think that for their time, both LT and Butkus pretty well redefined their positions, and I coulnt win an argument for or against either.
For the best "enhanced" player, LT is the king. Butkus probably only drank...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
sanjuro said:
I would put Jerry Rice higher than Barry Sanders and Walter Payton. His stunning stats and all world intangibles put him at least on par with the last two guys, but his 4 Super Bowl rings clearly make him better.
The only thing I could say about that is that Rice ALWAYS had a hall of fame QB throwing him the ball, whilst Payton and Sanders both played for crappy teams most of their careers, yet put up amazing numbers.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
#1 The Sweetness! (Walter Payton for idiots)
#2 Marcus Allen
#3 Franco Harris

<edit> not just good players, but great role models and sports figures.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BurlyShirley said:
The only thing I could say about that is that Rice ALWAYS had a hall of fame QB throwing him the ball, whilst Payton and Sanders both played for crappy teams most of their careers, yet put up amazing numbers.
That is certainly the argument against Rice, the great players around him. Barry was amazing, but I am not sure of which records he broke. If I am not mistaken, Payton is the all-time yardage leader.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
sanjuro said:
That is certainly the argument against Rice, the great players around him. Barry was amazing, but I am not sure of which records he broke. If I am not mistaken, Payton is the all-time yardage leader.
Nah, stupid ass Emmit Smith broke it after playing behind a line of perennial all-stars for 14 years straight. Muther****er. But we all know that record's lame. I could have run for 14,000 yards behind that line.

Here's what Wikipedia says about Butkus

He was also selected the 70th greatest athlete of the 20th century by ESPN, the 9th best player in league history by The Sporting News, and the fifth best by the Associated Press. The National Football League named him to their all time team in 2000. He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1979.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
When my siblings and I were kids, we didn't have a TV. During the football season, it we weren't on the shiite list we got to go to our grandfather's place to watch the NFL every Sunday. That said, I tend to like the classy players from that generation much more than the disco show-off creeps that permeate what the NFL has become.

I'd swear this guy had eyes in the back of his head.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BurlyShirley said:
Nah, stupid ass Emmit Smith broke it after playing behind a line of perennial all-stars for 14 years straight. Muther****er. But we all know that record's lame. I could have run for 14,000 yards behind that line.

Here's what Wikipedia says about Butkus
Didn't Payton break the record too?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So we're saying the best at their position? Or best all around player?

Jerry Rice gets my #1...and I hate the 49ers. Rice could catch obviously, but he was also an amazing open field runner and he could block.

Dick Butkus gets my #2.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
This is amazing: About Walter Payton

He earned numerous accomplishments, including his crowning achievement: breaking Jim Brown's NFL career rushing record against the New Orleans Saints at Soldier Field in Chicago on October 7, 1984. He also broke another Jim Brown record in this game with his 59th career 100-yard performance. His career rushing record would stand for 18 years until surpassed by Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith in 2002. Against the Minnesota Vikings on November 20, 1977, Walter Payton rushed for 275 yards on 40 carries while fighting a severe case of influenza. The 275 yards was an NFL single-game record until it was broken by Corey Dillon of the Cincinnati Bengals in 2001. He was the NFL's Player of the Year and its Most Valuable Player in 1977.

Payton also scored 125 career touchdowns, seventh on the all-time scoring list. In addition to being a Hall of Fame-caliber running back, Payton was assigned many plays as a receiver and blocker, and, later in his career, was also an emergency quarterback and punter. In one game against the Vikings on October 21, 1979, he ran for, passed for, and caught a touchdown, a feat that has only been done by six other players, most recently LaDainian Tomlinson of the San Diego Chargers.

Known as a figure of resilience, Payton only missed one game in his 13 year career with the Bears which took place during the 1975-76 season, Payton's rookie season, because the Bears trainer wouldn't allow Payton to play. Walter insisted that he could have played.

splat

Nam I am
I'd have to say Montana would have to be up there , when he took the 49er's the there first Super bowl, they had no running game. and he still managed to get the pass off.

although he doesn't get mentioned much Earl Cambell was just un Believable to watch as he'd just march down the field dragging half the other team with him. to bad that was the only offense the Oilers could muster.

and whats Dick Butkas without Bubba Smith ???

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Jim Brown, Jim Brown, and Jim Brown.

You can't compare his numbers to any recent running backs because they only played 10 games back then.
Now they play 16, and he is still up there in the stats.
Domination.
Go back and watch footage.
He used to run touchdowns with seven guys hanging off of him.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Jeremy R said:

And don't forget to watch I'm gonna get you sucka too. Breaking through windows and running a BBQ joint and his bunion. Classic.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I say greatest I mean most fun to watch. I'd have to say Walter Payton and Bret Favre, I'm neither a Bears or Packers fan.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Barry Sanders is bad ass, but I never got to see him play, only Sports Center highlights.

I watched Montana play at ND, but when he went to the Niners, he was dead to me :D

Jim brown was outstanding as well, but I'm not that old, so I never got to see him play either. I don't like to pick guys I have only seen highlight reels of.

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
Rice, not just because of his stats, but because he was always a classy guy. When you're that good you dont have have to be nice to people to still get recognition, but he did anyway -- that says something.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Man this is a loaded question, there have been some great names mentioned and you can really make a strong case for most.
So I won't pick one, but I wil show you one of my favorites

Dick "NightTrain" Lane, man this dude was a bad mutha back in his day the NFL didn't keep stat for sacks but it is estimated he would've had close to 200, I wasn't around in his era but through the magic of NFL films I have seen some of his games.There have been many great players in the last hundred years, but most of them we never saw.....

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
This tough.

I'm in awe of Jerry Rice, not the guy who used to be Jerry Rice who played for Seattle two seasons ago, but the one who played in San Franciso. We had Steve Largent, who if he played anywhere but in Seattle would be mentioned with Rice as one of the best at WR. But Rice was the best WR, and Larget is my favorite. It's not looking like the best ever will be a WR.

Watching Barry Sanders run, well, he was the stuff for sure. He left while on top too. Walter Payton, he was better than Sanders. Was he better than Jim Brown? No. Brown is the best RB ever and had more of an impact than Rice. So Brown is the best ever RB.

QB! Dang. I am big fan of Terry Bradshaw. There were more Pittsburg jerseys in my elementary in the late 70's than Seahawks jerseys. In my mind he is the best in my life as a fan. Would he have started in place of Johnny Unitas? Tom Brady? Probably no. Would Unitas beat Brady on a depth chart? Hmm. The all time best probably isn't a QB.

Mike Singletary was amazing to watch, his eyes were schizo and he hit hard. Alzedo was a big hitter too. But in my era of watching the game LT was the big bad wolf. He was the for real deal. I have no idea about the dudes from the 50's and 60's. They were bad to the bone tough but they were not playing against the super-steroid-humanoids that play in the NFL today. Edge to LT.

I guess I pick Jim Brown, followed by LT.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Jeremy R said:

You can't compare his numbers to any recent running backs because they only played 10 games back then.
Now they play 16, and he is still up there in the stats.
Domination.
He used to run touchdowns with seven guys hanging off of him.
GOOD POINT!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I think it's hard to pinpoint the "All time best player" It's easier to do it by position. The game has definatly evolved, players are WAY bigger and WAY faster.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well obviously the guys mentioned already are a good representation of the best. But I gotta throw Bruce Smith and Reggie White's names out there. Those two guys redefined the position of defensive end IMO.