Quantcast

the bike + couple questions

Oct 11, 2010
Been building up my bike and collecting parts for a while now, check it out!
VooDoo Bokor Aluminum

I need longer brake lines up front and in the back, a tubeless kit, and im thinking about getting some carbon bars.

Should I order the brake lines online or from a local shop?

What tubless kits have you guys used? What tires?

I found some Easton Monkeylite Riser bars for about 50 bones, should I pick those up? They are 660mm which are about the width of my current bars.
They have a pretty high rise, 40mm, think that is a little much?

I am still a little unclear on advantages/disadvantages to rise and sweep in bars, any one wanna tell me whats up?

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
There's always the "Support your local LBS" thing,but if you feel confident in doing cable work,you can definately save a couple dollars online. For me,LBS's aren't so local,so I do a lot of my own work that I didn't used to know how to do,LOL!:p

As far as tubeless,can't help you there,never ran mine tubeless.

Nice looking Voodoo,BTW :thumb:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I can't imagine a section of brake hose would be very expensive. The rear hose you have now will work on the front unless there is another reason to get new one, I would reuse it. 660 mm is not all that wide in my opinion. I'm not a big guy but I ride a 685 width bar. I would suggest trying a wider bar for a while to see if you get along with it. Most ss riders prefer a wider bar for grunting up steep hills. You may not like it though but you won't know until you try it. A bar can always be cut down but not the other way.

Can't say if your stem is too high or just right unless I can see you on the bike. I just built up a 29er and was not able to get a flat bar in the correct width for a week. Rode it with a low rise bar and -6 stem but that was too high and my shoulders were killing me. Got the flat bar and instantly the shoulder pain is gone. I ride with a bar height very close to saddle height. Play with it. See what works for you comfort wise and handling wise.

Oct 11, 2010
There's always the "Support your local LBS" thing,but if you feel confident in doing cable work,you can definately save a couple dollars online. For me,LBS's aren't so local,so I do a lot of my own work that I didn't used to know how to do,LOL!:p

As far as tubeless,can't help you there,never ran mine tubeless.

Nice looking Voodoo,BTW :thumb:
Thanks man, I really like it! this voodoo just replaced my voodoo hoodoo al that ive had forever!
I have a good friend with a bleed kit thats a mechanic and is willing to give me a hand along the way if i need it. As far as supporting local shops, Im up at school and the guys here seem pretty cool i just like doing as much on my own as i can. Shops back home are never too friendly, and i am typically sent home with the wrong parts... :( which is a major bummer.

I can't imagine a section of brake hose would be very expensive. The rear hose you have now will work on the front unless there is another reason to get new one, I would reuse it. 660 mm is not all that wide in my opinion. I'm not a big guy but I ride a 685 width bar. I would suggest trying a wider bar for a while to see if you get along with it. Most ss riders prefer a wider bar for grunting up steep hills. You may not like it though but you won't know until you try it. A bar can always be cut down but not the other way.

Can't say if your stem is too high or just right unless I can see you on the bike. I just built up a 29er and was not able to get a flat bar in the correct width for a week. Rode it with a low rise bar and -6 stem but that was too high and my shoulders were killing me. Got the flat bar and instantly the shoulder pain is gone. I ride with a bar height very close to saddle height. Play with it. See what works for you comfort wise and handling wise.
Ill have to get a hold of a measuring tape and see how wide my bars are. I know I do like wider bars, just not sure how wide "wide" is. Just got an excuse to replace my crapped out tape measure :D

How do guys typically run their stem/bars, 0 deg rise in stem and get rise from the bars? I have some lower back issues, would this mean lower or higher rise bars?
Sorry for so many questions!