Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've been to enough races that very few stand out, and these days I hardly care anymore because racecars just look like giant headaches after wrenching on them long enough.

However, and it's a big however, Can Am cars at Laguna Seca on non-noise restricted weekends, holy fuck! Absolute madness, only thing that's been in the same ball-park sound and spectacle wise was when Toyota showed up with their F1 car to try and break the lap record.

It's cliche to swoon over Can-Am cars, but they really were swoon worthy. No rules and pre-dated any kind of computer design or modern production techniques, just a bunch of shit some guy drew with a pencil and built by hand that was fast as shit.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
MSRP is 52k on this ioniq 5. Currently on sale for 57k. Used, by the way.
Asking $57k on the used market is not dealer markup, it’s current market value. They paid over MSRP to the previous owner for trade in value. The used market just started to cool off over the last 4 weeks, hurricane Ian is going to fuck that up for a while. Expect to see used values rise once again.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Asking $57k on the used market is not dealer markup, it’s current market value. They paid over MSRP to the previous owner for trade in value. The used market just started to cool off over the last 4 weeks, hurricane Ian is going to fuck that up for a while. Expect to see used values rise once again.
Imagine trying to flee a hurricane in Florida in an EV.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A small generator and a 5 gallon jug of gas in the trunk will get you another 100 miles of range :busted:
I just remember landing in New Orleans 3 days after Katrina and nobodies phone worked. None of the payphones worked. It was nuts. There was one random carrier that had spotty coverage and I used a dude (from Chicago) working at Home Depot's phone to call my fam so they knew we arrived.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005

$100K "luxury" e-rock crawler what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

#CrosspostDarwinThread

Most of the R1T’s reservation holders—up to 70 percent, Rivian’s senior product designer Matt Gaskin told me—have never owned an off-road vehicle before. For these drivers, the easy confidence the R1T inspires on dirt will be appreciated. The newbies are also in for a startlingly comfortable off-road experience, since the R1T’s suspension system automatically adjusts ride height, changes damping rates, and minimizes body roll on the fly.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

$100K "luxury" e-rock crawler what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

#CrosspostDarwinThread

Most of the R1T’s reservation holders—up to 70 percent, Rivian’s senior product designer Matt Gaskin told me—have never owned an off-road vehicle before. For these drivers, the easy confidence the R1T inspires on dirt will be appreciated. The newbies are also in for a startlingly comfortable off-road experience, since the R1T’s suspension system automatically adjusts ride height, changes damping rates, and minimizes body roll on the fly.
Yl7zEv6Uu2mByJCw94.gif

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I have a somewhat ambivalent attitude towards cars which mostly centers around the environmental impact and a society built around them. I do dig the aesthetic and mechanical aspects particularly of certain older vehicles. Over the last several years, and particularly of late, I'm interested in toe-dipping into this. I am left with the feeling that it's one of those interests where you don't really get to have a proper sense of the thing before you buy the thing. Online, you get a sense of what ownership looks like. Prior to purchase you can definitely get to sit in the thing and look at the thing. The rest though, what it's like to drive it (for more than 10 minutes), how it does in certain scenarios, will it fit over the threshold of my garage, etc... seems like the kind of thing you don't get to experience. How have you all navigated this? Particularly with vintage cars? If I could try a car for a week at a time, it would make the process very easy. I would happily pay for that.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I have a somewhat ambivalent attitude towards cars which mostly centers around the environmental impact and a society built around them. I do dig the aesthetic and mechanical aspects particularly of certain older vehicles. Over the last several years, and particularly of late, I'm interested in toe-dipping into this. I am left with the feeling that it's one of those interests where you don't really get to have a proper sense of the thing before you buy the thing. Online, you get a sense of what ownership looks like. Prior to purchase you can definitely get to sit in the thing and look at the thing. The rest though, what it's like to drive it (for more than 10 minutes), how it does in certain scenarios, will it fit over the threshold of my garage, etc... seems like the kind of thing you don't get to experience. How have you all navigated this? Particularly with vintage cars? If I could try a car for a week at a time, it would make the process very easy. I would happily pay for that.
Well with some cars comfort and ergonomics are documented online so some research can be done. I try to imagine it in my mind. Also people drove the shit out of them when new so they gotta be somewhat ok. Also you pay your money you take your chances, and sort it out later.

What kind of vintage car you thinking?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When talking vintage cars, the ride and handling depends on how well it's been kept up and your expectations of the experience. When I was test driving Corvettes, I was test driving them the way I intended to drive it. I scared the shit out of two different salesmen. One in an '04 Z06 on Skyline road, the other in an '09 ZR1 in the back lot behind the dealership. I had zero intention of buying either, but REALLY wanted to see what they might be like.

But if It m test driving a '66 truck, I expect it to run and drive like a '66 truck unless it's not stock. Then your milage may vary. But my projects are as stock as possible to start so I'm not undoing or redoing stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's the same ****ing thing with bikes. I takes me 1-2 weeks to dial in suspension in varied terrain, ride the bike in different settings and situations, figure out if I really like it or not or what I have to do to live with it. If I can't ride the exact spec I'm considering for a few weeks, I might as well be pissing into the wind. Test rides tell me fuck all. I can maybe identify something glaring that I see right away, but those things you don't start noticing until a little later then start nagging at you and eating away at you over time as you grow to hate it...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yeah, I gotcha. Part of it is I don’t really have any expectations. I remember older cars from my youth and I’ve been in a handful of actually fast cars. Guess I should go and see some, and try to drive them too.

I have some favourites, bit no real specifics. 70s era alfas and porsches of all flavours from 70s-present. Maybe a v1 M3 too.

Kinda looking for something that’s easy to get along with, some minor pep would be cool but not looking to go racer boi. Around town and weekend trips during the summer. Something easy on the eyes with a bit of style. Gotta carry a kid too.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It's the same ****ing thing with bikes. I takes me 1-2 weeks to dial in suspension in varied terrain, ride the bike in different settings and situations, figure out if I really like it or not or what I have to do to live with it. If I can't ride the exact spec I'm considering for a few weeks, I might as well be pissing into the wind. Test rides tell me fuck all. I can maybe identify something glaring that I see right away, but those things you don't start noticing until a little later then start nagging at you and eating away at you over time as you grow to hate it...
Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Kinda like bikes, but way more money.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My brother used to have an e30 and I loved driving that thing. Imagine the m3 version would be that to the next level.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ugh Toyota here is being brutal. I forget how long the AC has not worked in the girlfriend's Tacoma. I want to say it stopped working towards the end of August, maybe mid August or even at the beginning?

It took a while for them to get a new compressor, which is fine. Part shortages blah blah. But then now for two or three weeks they've been saying they don't have an o-ring needed to finish the job.

Come on, an o-ring? Mail one from the USA or something.

I'm also amazed at how much of the truck and components under the body is rusting. Pretty much everything except for the brake lines.

Not a great impression for a truck that is supposedly worth 40 grand. 30, maybe...

There's also something with the hubs and aluminum rims on it. They get like welded together, it's crazy. We woke up to a flat tire and I kicked, wailed, rolled the spare tire full speed into it and the wheel won't budge. Called CAA (AAA) and even that guy is going to town on it. And I had made sure to put some anti seize on the interfaces, as last year we ran into the same thing on two of them when trying to swap to winters.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Ugh Toyota here is being brutal. I forget how long the AC has not worked in the girlfriend's Tacoma. I want to say it stopped working towards the end of August, maybe mid August or even at the beginning?

It took a while for them to get a new compressor, which is fine. Part shortages blah blah. But then now for two or three weeks they've been saying they don't have an o-ring needed to finish the job.

Come on, an o-ring? Mail one from the USA or something.

I'm also amazed at how much of the truck and components under the body is rusting. Pretty much everything except for the brake lines.

Not a great impression for a truck that is supposedly worth 40 grand. 30, maybe...

There's also something with the hubs and aluminum rims on it. They get like welded together, it's crazy. We woke up to a flat tire and I kicked, wailed, rolled the spare tire full speed into it and the wheel won't budge. Called CAA (AAA) and even that guy is going to town on it. And I had made sure to put some anti seize on the interfaces, as last year we ran into the same thing on two of them when trying to swap to winters.
Tacomas have been stupidly overpriced for a very long time, IMO.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Haha, adding German electrics to anything Japanese should be a crime.
I hope it has some sort of fun Siemens fuck logic controller in it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it was from a post on fb....what looked like two 20 german guys built it and it won its class in some ev canonball run in europe or some shit...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Conveniently on ground floor outside? Yeah, that's insurance fraud. Even a functional idiot could get that 3-4 stories up into a public garage without trying.
It started out inside his garage, along with his paper towel stash.

Dude bought it a week prior, so unless he was planning a fraud based on the loss of a recently acquired car a lot seems like it would have had to go wrong in the week for him to say fuck it and sacrifice his P1 to the gods. He's also not going to get paid out on his loss, a P1 isn't cheap to repair, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the purchase price. It would require a lot of Floridian math to get rich buying 1.5m cars to defraud an insurance company for about $500k and still have the car with a salvaged tittle 18 months later when it returns from England.

As far as flooding and the ground floor, doesn't look like many Floridians took the flood risk very seriously, and I'd rather keep my P1 indoors and away from flying debris than in an open parking garage he may also not be able to access for weeks after the storm. His insurance also more than likely requires indoor storage.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Dude bought it a week prior, so unless he was planning a fraud based on the loss of a recently acquired car a lot seems like it would have had to go wrong in the week for him to say fuck it and sacrifice his P1 to the gods. He's also not going to get paid out on his loss, a P1 isn't cheap to repair, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the purchase price. It would require a lot of Floridian math to get rich buying 1.5m cars to defraud an insurance company for about $500k and still have the car with a salvaged tittle 18 months later when it returns from England.

As far as flooding and the ground floor, doesn't look like many Floridians took the flood risk very seriously, and I'd rather keep my P1 indoors and away from flying debris than in an open parking garage he may also not be able to access for weeks after the storm. His insurance also more than likely requires indoor storage.
P1 is carbon. The tub can't be fixed. That is also going to be new electrical and engine. That thing is toast.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
P1 is carbon. The tub can't be fixed. That is also going to be new electrical and engine. That thing is toast.
What would there be to fix on the tub, like what is damaged on it?

Considering how low that car is, its not even in very deep water. I'd wager the engine would be fine with being rebuilt. Everything else though yeah would be toast.

Heck the interior is pretty sparse in those. Replace some wiring, the small screens, the few pieces of alcantara and you'd be done - everything else is solid carbon.

Even if its written off, someone will 100% buy it from the auction.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Well, not if you buy on a loan you are not actually good for…then buying right before a hurricane would be suspicious/good business if you can get away with it.