Quantcast

The E-word thread. EWS

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Boost juice from your friends bottle=ok
Antibiotics=no bueno

The UCI sure is doing wonders for the EWS.
Nailed it dude. We will surely end up enjoying "superheroes" able to do extended EWS races, with 180 km stages and 5-6 consecutive days of competition. And we shall all praise the UCi for keeping the juice off the game.

Sometimes I think those greedy bastards are nothing but a very specialized drug cartel.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Doping, sketchy enforcement practices, the average enthusiast thinking this is really the pinnacle of the sport, oakley blades.........seriously as lame as xc racing gets the rap for.

I read somewhere that enduro is the new spandex. Wish I could remember where I saw that.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Seems to me like Maes got the minimum sentence, and Rude would have been banned for life under the previous supposed EWS "zero tolerance" policy (pre-UCI/WADA).

It seems like Maes would have to get popped with something to show they are serious, considering 2 darlings of the industry and the sport were obviously doping and got away without losing sponsors or the chance to race again.

My current thinking is that EWS management believed doping was rampant and brought in UCI/WADA for that reason.

When's the last time UCI DHI had this level of doping controversy?

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Also, I'm not sure I understand the UCI's logic. If it was prescribed by a physician for a legitimate and documented medical need, why would they deny the therapeutic use exemption? because they didn't ask at the right time? or because there are other options available? (even though those options might not have been available at that time). I am confused.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, I'm not sure I understand the UCI's logic. If it was prescribed by a physician for a legitimate and documented medical need, why would they deny the therapeutic use exemption? because they didn't ask at the right time? or because there are other options available? (even though those options might not have been available at that time). I am confused.
backdated TEU's generally don't fly. however it would seem as if there are specific circumstances here they're outright ignoring. all the race dr's who reviewed it agreed to prescribe it, but they were unable to check due to lack of cellular coverage, meaning they couldn't access the WADA search database online. given the remote nature of EWS venues, this should have been taken into consideration.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
It wasn't prescribed at an EWS, it was the NZ Enduro a couple weeks before the EWS season kicked off. Fair play they possibly had spotty internet access at the moment it was prescribed. But they should have followed up and checked into it BEFORE the first race of the season. Had they applied for the TUE before the first EWS they might have had it approved.

It's a wake up call to all the EWS racers to get their shit together.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's a wake up call to all the EWS racers to get their shit together.
Why is this always the response?

Plenty of good other options than just blaming the racers. Options include

1. Ditch the fanny pack and oakley blades and go back to racing dh where you failed the first time, leading you to ENDURO!

2. Fuck the UCI and get chris ball to start another series sans bullshit (he had it but he blew it)

3. Realize you race ENDURO, and just serve the world by killing yourself, hanging by fanny pack preferred

4. Mass protest demanding WADA make provisions for simultaneously not cheating AND not wanting to go septic in your leg (this is a big one, gonna take at least 2 brain cells to rub together)

5. Go back to giggling on instagram like a bunch of shit head children and forget it in 5 minutes solving nothing.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
4. Mass protest demanding WADA make provisions for simultaneously not cheating AND not wanting to go septic in your leg (this is a big one, gonna take at least 2 brain cells to rub together)
WADA has provisions...just file the paperwork BEFORE you get popped with a positive test result.

If they were smart enough to ask the doc's in the field, they should have been smart enough to check it on the WADA PDF.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
WADA has provisions...just file the paperwork BEFORE you get popped with a positive test result.

If they were smart enough to ask the doc's in the field, they should have been smart enough to check it on the WADA PDF.
Martin Maes is not dumb. He was trying to save his leg from falling off. Who the fuck worries about that shit when they have fucking hole in their leg? And if they have to........that's a problem with the system, not a stupid rider who's just not as smart as everyone monday morning quarterbacking on the innernet.

This is why the system sucks. A perfectly good example of a bad (yet easily understood) situation and then people just pile on the victim siding with a bunch of dickbag roadies who have ruined every sport they've ever touched. I'm defending someone who races ENDURO here. Me. Not giving him some leeway is that dumb.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
"We tried to check but we didn't have cell reception".

What about the 10+ days between NZ Enduro and EWS Rotorua? You still didn't find a way to check the WADA list?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"We tried to check but we didn't have cell reception".

What about the 10+ days between NZ Enduro and EWS Rotorua? You still didn't find a way to check the WADA list?
By then it's already in his system, and he very understandably wouldn't want to bring it up. Because he might not get tested at the next race. It's a fucked system that even leads to that scenario. There's very much a motivation to just hope it slides by. Especially since he knows he's not cheating. That dude knows how the UCI and WADA work. I wouldn't bring up after the fact either. Those people suck. And I certainly wouldn't turn down medical treatment when a race doctor tells me my leg is in danger.

Seriously man, listen to yourself. That's unreasonable to ask people to do this stuff. WADA and UCI have money. They can actually do some work for a change besides "well this here is what the paper says, sorry y'all" That's lazy. They need to put a provision in there for this kind of situation. It's not that hard.

That said, anyone want to chase all the racers around at one of the american races with some inhalers? They'll be running and screaming like fiends in terror.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the fvck did I just watch?! and why? (did I watch that...?!)
Ryan Hughes was a B level pro moto guy in the late 90s. He now sells a bunch of beefcake supplements and shit called ryno power. People are making jokes about that being what was in the graves/rude bottle because they list graves as one of the athletes that use their stuff.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/interview-ryno-power-ryan-mccarthy-says-their-supplements-not-responsible-for-rude-graves-failed-drug-test.html

He has a bit of a lee mccormack side to him as well. You know riprow?

This is ryno's version. 1600 bucks to turn your 10k dirtbike into one of those toys at the playground.

https://www.rynoequipment.com/product-page/ryno-equipment-spring-bike

But the dude's a fuckin weirdo. And he starts fights and then asks the other guy what his problem is. And thank god there's video of it. You're welcome.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
As the token Monkey who will openly admit to racing Enduro events, I think while in a perfect world Maes would have applied for the TUE prior to the Rotorua event - shit happens. Maes might have thought the doctors were checking once they got reception, and the doctor probably had other shit to do. Like treating a field of idiots crashing their brains out in the NZ wilderness.

Getting those wins scrubbed is a punch in the balls. Does this give Keegan Wright and Florian Nicolai the wins?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
By then it's already in his system, and he very understandably wouldn't want to bring it up. Because he might not get tested at the next race. It's a fucked system that even leads to that scenario. There's very much a motivation to just hope it slides by. Especially since he knows he's not cheating. That dude knows how the UCI and WADA work. I wouldn't bring up after the fact either. Those people suck. And I certainly wouldn't turn down medical treatment when a race doctor tells me my leg is in danger.
Also, he was assured by the doctors at the Sheep-land Enduro that it was not on the prohibited list. Usually when a doctor tells me something, then confirms it with another doctor I assume what both doctors told me is right. Yeah, he probably should have looked it up, yeah he maybe should have attempted to get a TUE prior to Rotorua, maybe the UCI would have accepted it, maybe they'd tell him to pack up his shit and GTFO.

I understand how the UCI policy was shaped due to Lance and his TUEs, but they really do have their lycra on a little too tight if this situation was unforeseen and/or this is really the best way they figured to handle it.

There is a silver lining here, Maes wasn't going to race DH because he was leading EWS, now he is not leading EWS, see where I'm going with this?