Quantcast

The E-word thread. EWS

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
It's pretty cool to see how much the men's field has been shaken up this season. And how a couple of guys (Rhys and Murray) are doing really well on "trail" bikes rather than giant sleds.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Why don't they have the same stupid posts and chicane things that are on the DH races?

Obviously can't put those everywhere and it won't stop people from blowing the corner or cutting it on purpose...

But yeah if they don't want people cutting the corner, stick a marshal there or volunteer to fix the tape.

Shitty situation for Jack, but props for not just continuing as if the corner didn't exist.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
ibis still exists?

huh....
Yeah, I even still have one. Just put on new Ohlins and replaced all the Fox. It's better.

The "pork chop bag" in the frame is pretty sweet. I may look like a dork, but at least I don't have to run a backpack or fanny pack/assumtope (see what I did there?) or any other pack for that matter. It will hold a beer. But if you're going in that direction, I'd recommend a Camelbak.

That's the Devil's Back Bone in the background. Doesn't look like much in the pic, but it's good fun. Loveland, CO. No, not the ski area. Northern, CO.

PXL_20220911_191037879.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sheesh. I wonder... is this because ESO got too greedy. Or is it because Enduro is a participation sport more than a sport to watch...? Seems crazy how many are ditching it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Sort of. GT, Ibis, Devinci, Polygon and Rocky Mountain all apparently pulling the plug after this year. I’m sure more to follow.
Will be strange to see… will there be racers outside of local participants without sponsored riders?

Is something else brewing?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Do people buy 'Enduro' bikes because of racing? Just seemed to me that a ~150-170mm bike is just what a capable mountain bike has evolved into and that's what most folks would buy regardless of racing.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Do people buy 'Enduro' bikes because of racing? Just seemed to me that a ~150-170mm bike is just what a capable mountain bike has evolved into and that's what most folks would buy regardless of racing.
Yeah, good question. For me, I buy a bike based on my wanted suspension/geometry, etc. Not really thinking "this bike will totally kill it on the enduro circuit". More of a fun factor, really. And hey, if I want to race, this bike could handle it.

But really, around my parts, the dudes killing it on the Strava machines are dirt roadies. Like 120mm bikes. They don't take the "fun lines". I don't really think about efficiency or shorter travel. Maybe I should? Nah, this is the DH forum. :D

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Depends on where you are located I guess. For a while enduro bikes were the allrounder if you could only own one bike, but these days they are too heavy and cumbersome on flatter trails because their "racing genes" have ruined them.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah, good question. For me, I buy a bike based on my wanted suspension/geometry, etc. Not really thinking "this bike will totally kill it on the enduro circuit". More of a fun factor, really. And hey, if I want to race, this bike could handle it.

But really, around my parts, the dudes killing it on the Strava machines are dirt roadies. Like 120mm bikes. They don't take the "fun lines". I don't really think about efficiency or shorter travel. Maybe I should? Nah, this is the DH forum. :D
Now that 120 mm bikes are also 15 kg monsters with 64° HA, this makes sense.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So Enduro is not covered so no one will sponsor riders there which means going back to "we use DH to promote our bikes" marketing but now with a ton of weird bs regarding DH this is also less viable given 30 rider finals and a lot of smaller stuff. I don't remember a more damaging year to the sport than 2023.

Depends on where you are located I guess. For a while enduro bikes were the allrounder if you could only own one bike, but these days they are too heavy and cumbersome on flatter trails because their "racing genes" have ruined them.
Naaah. You still have those bikes they are your typical trailbikes in the 140-150mm travel area. They are lighter and less agressive if your all arounder bike needs to be lighter and more agile. Plenty of bikes there that are super fun and can work for everything. Hell if you are smooth you can even do big features on them.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Naaah. You still have those bikes they are your typical trailbikes in the 140-150mm travel area. They are lighter and less agressive if your all arounder bike needs to be lighter and more agile. Plenty of bikes there that are super fun and can work for everything. Hell if you are smooth you can even do big features on them.
I am not arguing against that. But it is not the "All Mountain/Trail bike Worldcup" but the "Enduro Worldcup", so the marketing fails here. Even some enduro racers use the "smaller" trail bikes of their sponsors, e.g. Canyon CLLCTV riders.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Here. It depends massively on what your local riding scene is and what sort of trails you have locally. I'm half an hour from the Tweed Valley (where EWS' have been held) and the EWS tracks are only a minute proportion of the Enduro style trails available to ride. The Enderpo race scene in Scotland is pretty big/healthy so there are similar areas all over with a lot of decent sized hills with trail building on the go. So yeah. all those guys ride heavy 150-170mm 29 Derp bikes.
plenty other folk still ride shorter travel lighter less slack bikes for trail centres and XC/endurance type riding tho.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Now that 120 mm bikes are also 15 kg monsters
They only are if you run DH tyres and inserts.
120mm forks are still a lot lighter than a zeb/38 so even with all other components equal (which they really shouldn't be) even a heavy overbuilt 120mm frame is gonna build into a 2kg lighter bike

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
They only are if you run DH tyres and inserts.
120mm forks are still a lot lighter than a zeb/38 so even with all other components equal (which they really shouldn't be) even a heavy overbuilt 120mm frame is gonna build into a 2kg lighter bike
Yeah, right, but Enduro bikes are 16-17 kg these days. :s

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
In other news, Sepp Kuss has pretty much won La Vuelta a Espana.
The first American in 10 years and the second ever.

Road racing seems healthy and stuffed full of cash. Gravel racing is pretty huge at the moment, maybe all the dentists will trade their Yetis in for skinny tire bikes.

Fox is ready.
fox-32tc-8-1649085601.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So Enduro is not covered so no one will sponsor riders there which means going back to "we use DH to promote our bikes" marketing but now with a ton of weird bs regarding DH this is also less viable given 30 rider finals and a lot of smaller stuff. I don't remember a more damaging year to the sport than 2023.
NEW STANDARD TIME!!!!!

Has anyone reinvented spokes recently?

you could sell them to sethimus