Quantcast

*$%The Eve of Friday %$*

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Afternoon Monkies. Tailer hitch from U-Haul has been installed. Now I have to look into the box of bike rack parts and determine which skill set will get it installed quicker. Should I pay to have it assembled or continue to look for the socket set I haven't used in years?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Lack of use?
yes, 100%

well that and for some reason the splayed end stays kinda open even after you release the tension. Last year I cleaned it out really well and re-greased it and it helped a little. Probably just need to buy a new axle.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
got home. mid-90s and humid. kids had friends over. pizza was being ordered. just wanted to sit on the porch and drink a beer. wife convinced me to hit the local trail. first really summery-feeling ride of the year. only 7 miles but it put a whoopin on me. good times.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tonight was a JavaScript coding kind of night. Why JavaScript parses "5" as a number but "10" as a string when doing comparisons with another array of numbers is beyond me, but at least I hunted that down...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
:wave:

Wife comes home tonight. It's actually been a lot of fun to just hang out with the kid for a week. Already dreading going back to work on Saturday. I should just win the lottery so I don't have to go to work anymore.
Tell me you don't buy lottery tickets.

Sup all....
Hey, dude!

Tonight was a JavaScript coding kind of night. Why JavaScript parses "5" as a number but "10" as a string when doing comparisons with another array of numbers is beyond me, but at least I hunted that down...
Because Java sucks nut sacks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Because Java sucks nut sacks.
JavaScript != Java. Although both share the trait of not being strongly typed. This works great until it doesn't and then one must figure out why sane-appearing code doesn't behave as it should. I ended up throwing a bunch of parseFloat-s in there and then it worked.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
JavaScript != Java. Although both share the trait of not being strongly typed. This works great until it doesn't and then one must figure out why sane-appearing code doesn't behave as it should. I ended up throwing a bunch of parseFloat-s in there and then it worked.
Erm... Java IS strongly typed, JavaScript isn't typed and is interpreted (or JIT compiled by sections), and its name is nothing but a marketing ploy to piggyback on Java's rising popularity when introduced to web browsers. Depending on coercion is always risky business.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Erm... Java IS strongly typed, JavaScript isn't typed and is interpreted (or JIT compiled by sections), and its name is nothing but a marketing ploy to piggyback on Java's rising popularity when introduced to web browsers. Depending on coercion is always risky business.
Busted. :D I hazily recalled that one didn't need to declare a variable type in Java, but I must have recalled yet more old JavaScript code.

Hazy memories:

declaring as long in C variants
using BigInteger in Java, ah yes

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have a generally good idea how statistics work, so no.
I will buy $1 or 2 of Powerball tickets per year. Expected return is precisely 0 but I am ok with pissing away a few bucks per year in order to daydream for a bit.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I will buy $1 or 2 of Powerball tickets per year. Expected return is precisely 0 but I am ok with pissing away a few bucks per year in order to daydream for a bit.
I drop a $5 on Megabucks (Oregon only, $1M minimum prize) about once a month. The wife drops $5.25 + $1 tip on her sugar free soy mocha on Saturdays, so I figure mine has a better rate of return than hers (I've won a few free tickets).

Money stays here, some goes to good causes, somebody wins, so who knows. :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I happily spend a few $'s now and then on a ticket. odds are low of winning, but there's still a chance I'll get hit by Elvis riding a lightning bolt next time I'm above tree line too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mr. Money Moustache does NOT approve.

:disgust1:
He also would probably like you to spell mustache properly. :D

Other things he doesn't approve of:

- my 30 year jumbo mortgage (although I will refinance it post student loans)
- how much we spend on food
- paying for preschool
- my Land Cruiser
- sticking with Verizon
- my ludicrously fast Internet service

I'm ok with this even though I approve of his message in spirit (getting out of the car, and not blindly spending money to keep up with the Joneses).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I happily spend a few $'s now and then on a ticket. odds are low of winning
Understatement of the epoch.

but there's still a chance I'll get hit by Elvis riding a lightning bolt next time I'm above tree line too.
Actually, your chances of this are MUCH greater than winning the lottery.

:D

He also would probably like you to spell mustache properly. :D
I maintain that HE is spelling it incorrectly. :homer: