Quantcast

The fate of a 10 year old DH rig...

well, i couldnt expect much else from my Cheeta in the long run, but while it rode, it was definitley a sick, unique bike...
9.5 inches of travel, 3 inch extending wheelbase(as the suspension compressed), crazy progressive travel(just about un-bottomable unless 12' to flat!!!), and skyscraping 18.5" BB height...(i only had problems riding up stage ledges, hahaha)

check out my newest reason to get a new frame...

what can i say, it treated me well... it was my first DH rig and got me friggin HOOKED!!!

kinda lame though because it snapped when i came out of a slow arse wheelie in front of my house... i NEVER want to hear the sound of snapping metal again!!! 'cause thats just one of those things that make you go, "Sh!t"!!!(Pharcyde line, hahaha)

pretty sweet memory to hang on the wall though! if i can figure out a way to hold the swingarm up and put the headtube on something...

heres my DH bike for now!!!

hahaha

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
your hucknasty MonsterT snapped its neck like a twig!

sucks man, good thing there's a sh*t-ton of sweet frames on the used board here.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
looks like a warranty issue to me. it clearly broke at the faulty weld as you were "just riding along"...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
man, that sucks. cheeta's were such great bikes. keep that thing around and hang it on the wall. I still have my Cheeta dual slalom frame, and its going strong. And I have no plans on parting with it anytime... ever...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Damn I still feel bad for selling my 5 year old frame and snaping a 10 year old. I'd left it for the future generations and get sth new ;)

btw. You don't look so old :P

I'm pretty sure everyone expected you to be shirtless in this pic. :twitch:
hauling around a 53pound DH rig on a 100 degree day and being a douche and forgetting to throw on a white shirt and riding in a black one usually comes down to this...

yeah, the frame was awesome when it worked, after a year and a half of nothing but rock gardens the pivot started flexing like crazy and i had no idea whatsoever how to fix it because the company was long gone...

no, i'm not that old... i turned 16 on the 25th... the frame is just a '97...

the frame turned out to have a crack on the top tube that essentially killed the bike... all of the welds stayed intact, but the leverage from the fork over rock gardens, hard braking and trying to sink through travel by ramming into curbs like a retard essentially ruined it for me... really all i needed was to have more head angle...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
the frame turned out to have a crack on the top tube that essentially killed the bike... all of the welds stayed intact, but the leverage from the fork over rock gardens, hard braking and trying to sink through travel by ramming into curbs like a retard essentially ruined it for me... really all i needed was to have more head angle...
You rode it with a crack in the top tube??

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
Which you would have had if you wouldn't have put that stupid 3" shock on there.

18.5" bottom bracket.

Jeesh
um actually, by putting the larger eye to eye shock on there, he steepend his head tube. Think about it, as a rear shock compresses (gets a smaller eye to eye), if the fork doesnt compress, it getts choppeered out with a smaller head tube angle....

jeesh

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
What the hell happened? It looks like you made it out ok.

I am selling my SWD if you are looking for a new unique bike. =]

Good meeting you at Northstar this summer by the way. That was the last time I rode. Sad.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'd love to know what has happened to my old bikes.

I had a GT STS DH back when they were considered one of the "4 best DH bikes in the world" (MTBAction, no less!). Lopes rode one and also owned 2 of the 4 sets of RS Boxxers in existence. That was back then......

What a pile of sh*t though...

Where do they go???

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
man, that sucks. cheeta's were such great bikes. keep that thing around and hang it on the wall. I still have my Cheeta dual slalom frame, and its going strong. And I have no plans on parting with it anytime... ever...
i'm jealous. i've always wanted a cheetah DS FS frame...loved those

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Oh man, it finally broke. At least you didn't get hurt.
Now you have an excuse to get a real DH bike.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Well since that bike broke, you can purchase my bighit now. :spam:

On another note...thats quite the rear brake set-up...I'll be honest.

Well since that bike broke, you can purchase my bighit now. :spam:

On another note...thats quite the rear brake set-up...I'll be honest.

hey, it worked killer... old hydraulic Magura Tomac... crushed in my Mammoth rim...:busted:

this bike had the oldest parts on it... White Industries Cranks, like '01 Sun Mammoth rear rim, Tomac hydro's, DH Systems chainguide... haha, but it rode well... when it did

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
nooooo that bike was a celebrity on the forum :(.

on the bright side though, BTI just started distributing Commencals, so if you know anyone who works at pretty much any bike shop ever, you can brown nose your way to a Supreme DH for pennies on the dollar.