Quantcast

The Firestone DH race is on!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Hey fellas, any beta on this course would be much appreciated because I'm thinking about making it my first DH race ever. Pics of jumps and/or hairy sections in particular would be appreciated so I can decide how many collarbones I must be willing to invest in this decision. On a scale of 1 being groomed fire road and 10 being rock-strewn ridegline from hell, how would you rate the difficulty of the course? Should I wait for an easier event, or just sack up and ride it?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
hecktone said:
Ok, I can get away anytime during the week. If we are going to do it early on Sunday, we need to get the diggers started and keep the "Manegerial trail design meeting" to as few chieftens as possible. :p
I don't think I can take off to get up there during this week, things are busy at work and I have some OT to do. But...we should walk the course first thing on Sunday. Flag the turns, mow the spot and get Curt grinding it out with the Rototiller. He can leave the beers with me ;) I'll upload the photos at lunch today and do some crude drawings of what I was thinking of :D

NC

Mar 16, 2004
Santa Maria
hecktone said:
hey specialsaucer - try to recruit some local santa maria mtb'rs to come with you ... did you get a flyer with the other dates on it? :mumble:

mh
I got the flier with course work dates on it and it is posted at the shop and I am going to post it on out website as well. If you bring me some fliers next weekend I can drop them off at the other bike shops as well.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Hecky,

Here's a photo of the area of interest. We could run the trail up the hill and back into the corner in a big sweeping turn. Sounds a whole lot better than a straight shot to the corner :D

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
Last year's course was awesome this one looks like it's going to even better.

The coolest thing about last year's course I thought was that there was really only two sections you had to brake, the fastest guys may not have braked at all. who knows. But because of that you could take practice runs all day and just cruise the course with out using a whole lot of effort. This year it will be a nice change from the brake to accelerate repetitions at a Fontana course.

A few other things that made last year's course rock.

The speed, I remember one section where you could pedal full blast down a steep shoot than at the bottom when you couldn't pedal any faster, you could get a pump in and accelerate to close to 40 mph.

The jumps were awesome, there was good mix of doubles, drops and hips, they all flowed really well, you didn't have to slow down for any of them… Very good job.

The burms were built superb, again almost no braking going into them, that's a very good thing... slowing down sucks.

There really wasn't anything about last year's course I didn't like. If you guys could come up with a course again this year with zero brake sections that would be focking rad... like a bobsled course with jumps.

Anyways, here a few other ideas.

Drops going into burms.

A whoop section would be cool. Not like a team big bear whoop section, more like bmx track whoops, big and wide that with speed you can double up all the way through.

A turn going downhill made out of railroad tie stairs.

A burmed switch back section. (It looks like you guys allread have that covered.)

A wall ride where you have the option of riding the wall to jump over some rocks or cutting a turn or some kind of benefit.

A steep railroad tie stair section.

Lots of random rollers to pump off of.

A huge finish line jump!

Anyways if you think any of those ideas were good use them, If they suck don’t. I'm just throwing stuff out there. Either way I’m sure the course this year will be awesome again.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I think we need more elements to seperate the fast riders from the slow riders. Last year the differences in times were miniscule. I vote for making the course more difficult. That would include more flat corners, more rythms with bigger jumps, some generally sketchier stuff, etc... So I think we need more places to make people want to brake and more places for people to crash.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
bikenweed said:
I think we need more elements to seperate the fast riders from the slow riders. Last year the differences in times were miniscule. I vote for making the course more difficult....
We are working on making it longer and tougher. Flat corners and more tricky spots are going to be incorporated. We can't go crazy with jumps due to the fact that we can't make a seperate expert sections and everyone needs to be able to get down the hill, not to say that there won't be more and trickier jumps ;)

The times will most likely still be really close though. The course is really short and we don't have a lot of natural features to utilize.

I like the idea of whoops and rollers and I'll try to get them incorporated. Keep the ideas coming and more iportantly come out and help if you can! We need people out there to make it happen. The next dig day is this coming Sunday, 3/27.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Unfortunately, I'm still in a cast as I broke my foot a couple weeks ago, so I can't really do too much physical labour. More ideas include: jumps into and out of berms, rollers before and after jumps, spraying a section down with a hose to make it muddy, adding nails or marbles, etc...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think there should be a big table top near the finish so slow people will slow down to roll it and fast people will just jump it. It could be at the very end after the last berm and drop. Just an idea.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Sunday, Sunday Sunday! Screw the Easter eggs and dig some trail!!

See ya out there

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Gambo said:
Zark did u get thr GU I left you on your truck? Me and matty road out the on sunday on are roady bikes. Did u see the life flight chopper? It landed right down the road from you guys.
Tony,
Yeah, I did. & I saw the medivac chopper too.
Do you know what happened?

One word for Easter digging: Rototillers.... They kick ass, they do the work of 15 people and don't even ask for beer or practice runs :D

There is a new section of course now called the dog leg. Mike will post some pics later. This will add 10-15 seconds onto the run hopefully.

Noah

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Gambo said:
Zark did u get thr GU I left you on your truck? Me and matty road out the on sunday on are roady bikes. Did u see the life flight chopper? It landed right down the road from you guys.
Gambo!

You better bring the fam to this years race! Free kids races, food, music, beer ... I spent a few minutes talking to Bush at the Track World Saturday night .... man include me on those reunion rides! Hope it's all well, and lets see you at Firestone!

Hecky :D

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
This is a test ... Here is a pic from the DH trail work yesterday. I hope this works as I'm not really a computer savey guy, unless it's an easy attachment ...

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
OK, here are the photos. Amazing day, got a lot done with a few folks.

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
The next build days are this Saturday and Sunday. If coming from SLO we'll be meeting at the top of the DH course at 9 AM.

If coming from SB we'll be meeting at the Java Station at 8 AM.

There is a complete list of Firestone Trail Work Days as well as directions on the event web page, www.ridesb.com/firestone.htm.

Thanks, and hppe to see you out there!

Mike :D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
OK, lets finish this trail off this weekend! Its close, but we need a crew out there to polish it off. So you wanna help? get out there!

The lower section needs some love. the berm needs attention as does the last few jumps and the rollers after the tabletop (new feature)

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
OK everyone, please bring your own flat hed shovels, rakes and such as I have a limited ammount of SBMTV tools this weekend.

Also bring your lunch, water, and sunscreen!

Thanks, :nuts:

Hecky

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
All right, if y'all didn't go to S.O. we got one more weekend to get the DH dialed in, so come on out and help. otherwise it'll just be me.....and that would suck.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would come but I have other obligations. Sorry, man! It's gonna seem SLOW without Curt's tiller ;)

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Hey Noah, how'd it turn out? I tried to make it each time, but couldn't find a ride :mumble: and I have two midterms on tuesday :eek: but I should be out next weekend to race :thumb: see you there.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
sleepinggiant said:
Hey Noah, how'd it turn out? I tried to make it each time, but couldn't find a ride :mumble: and I have two midterms on tuesday :eek: but I should be out next weekend to race :thumb: see you there.
The course is looking and riding pretty nice. We had great turnout this weekend and fixed up some things that were lacking.

Practice begins officially on Friday :thumb:

Things to hope for:
1, its not windy next week
2, its not 100 degrees next week
3, cows are scared of Shimano tape and little red flags :mumble: :D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
sleepinggiant said:
Sweet!!! If I don't want to pay the $5 shuttle fee, how bad is the ride to the top?
There is a built trail to the top of the DH. Steep, but bearable. Don't try climbing the DH course, too steep and you'll probably get run over.

don't wanna pay $5? You cheap-ass college kids! ;)

EVERYONE: DRIVE SLOW AS HELL ON THE DIRT ROAD! 10 mph max, leave the rally driving at home. The Firestone's don't want dirt clouds wafting over their house ok?!

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
hey noah did u have pics of last year..i remember u were snapping some shots of cmoney and i on that drop thing..i saw them on an old post but i cant find em now..if u got em mabye u could post them Andrew