Quantcast

The futility of the Prius and the end of the world as we know it

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
you can now reserve a VW ID4.
I've been seeing quite a few ID3 on the road during these past weeks. For a car that VW deems as important as the Beetle and the Golf, I wished they had gone with a more distinctive design. That being said, I like it a whole lot more than the 4, which is just utterly bland. That probably won't hurt short term sales, and by all accounts the 3 is looking like a winner, even if the quality is supposedly significantly below that of a Golf.

Charging networks over here still leave a lot to be desired and given those circumstances, I've been really happy with my Passat GTE. I'm averaging 2,2 litres/100km of gas with plenty of long term trips where battery doesn't really have an impact. If I'm lucky enough to find a free charging station close to my apartment I can do my entire commute without using the combustion engine and I never want to go back to anything non-electric for urban driving. And for a car that only has 210hp with both power sources combined, it has a surprising amount of punch on the rare occasions I put it in GTE mode. Driving some alpine roads this way, I even had what could be called fun. In a Passat. I still wish I could set the dampers and steering harder than the system allows.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Seems like a good time to buy a second home in ski country.
Seems like a good time to buy a second home where the adjacent resort is well funded and will in the future do lots of snowmaking as they currently do. Plus:

Seems like a good time to buy a second home where the adjacent resort is well funded and will in the future do lots of snowmaking as they currently do. Plus:

If you wish to accelerate the destruction of the world as we have known it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If you wish to accelerate the destruction of the world as we have known it.
Snowmaking doesn't destroy water. With the spring melt it goes back into the ground and downstream. The only real effect is from the energy use from the snow guns and pumping apparatus.

Snowmaking doesn't destroy water. With the spring melt it goes back into the ground and downstream. The only real effect is from the energy use from the snow guns and pumping apparatus.
Creating the runs fucks up the mountain ecology, including drainage. Lodging fucks things up drastically. So do associated roads. It's a refuge for lazy assed people who don't care how much damage they cause.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Creating the runs fucks up the mountain ecology, including drainage. Lodging fucks things up drastically. So do associated roads. It's a refuge for lazy assed people who don't care how much damage they cause.
You gotta have to love a good hypocrite. ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So basically any development is a detriment compared to the natural state. Sure. You know what also would reduce our collective CO2 emissions? Everyone killing themselves.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So basically any development is a detriment compared to the natural state. Sure. You know what also would reduce our collective CO2 emissions? Everyone killing themselves.
So you are saying the 'rona is great for the climate? :D
But no need to kill people, just have fewer kids. ;)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I don’t think it’s true that any development is detrimental to the existing state. Please recall: Humans have been around for tens of thousands of years. America the continent was irreversibly changed in the first few (if not one) thousand years of our arrival. Something like 90% of megafauna species were wiped out in this time, and who knows how many smaller species, ecosystems and so on were destroyed or affected by this.
In a lot of ways our work now is to restore a kind of balance, and we get to decide what that looks like. I think it’s important that ‘Mind’ (self aware intelligence) persists in the universe as long as possible. Thoughtless (unrestricted capitalist) development has shown itself to be destructive in even the shortest of terms to all life.
Perpetuation of mind doesn’t mean we have to be everywhere, and when we decide to ‘colonise’ an area, we should do so thoughtful and attempt to preserve balance. This can be done in a number of ways, from improving other areas for non-humans from their current state, to finding ways to better co-exist. Here are great examples of development where barren and ‘destroyed’ environments have been restored for all species around human ‘needs’. There are also great examples of success where we decide to stay the hell out. These decisions are complex and require thinking about the situation as a whole, something that current planning and exploitation based expansion (again with the unregulated capitalism) is fairly poor at doing.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
You are correct if one was considering a virus, which perhaps we should when discussing human population.
aw yiss.
Maternal grandparents: 10 kids, 9 made it to adulthood. R 5
Paternal grandparents: 9 kids, 9 made it to adulthood. R 4.5

My side of the family. 4 kids, 4 made ito adulthood. R 2.
My wife side of the family. 3 kids, 3 made it to adulthood. R 1.5

My wife and I. R 1, same number as my 3 sisters.

I count this as my contribution to the earth.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I don’t think it’s true that any development is detrimental to the existing state. Please recall: Humans have been around for tens of thousands of years. America the continent was irreversibly changed in the first few (if not one) thousand years of our arrival. Something like 90% of megafauna species were wiped out in this time, and who knows how many smaller species, ecosystems and so on were destroyed or affected by this.
In a lot of ways our work now is to restore a kind of balance, and we get to decide what that looks like. I think it’s important that ‘Mind’ (self aware intelligence) persists in the universe as long as possible. Thoughtless (unrestricted capitalist) development has shown itself to be destructive in even the shortest of terms to all life.
Perpetuation of mind doesn’t mean we have to be everywhere, and when we decide to ‘colonise’ an area, we should do so thoughtful and attempt to preserve balance. This can be done in a number of ways, from improving other areas for non-humans from their current state, to finding ways to better co-exist. Here are great examples of development where barren and ‘destroyed’ environments have been restored for all species around human ‘needs’. There are also great examples of success where we decide to stay the hell out. These decisions are complex and require thinking about the situation as a whole, something that current planning and exploitation based expansion (again with the unregulated capitalism) is fairly poor at doing.
You get that hippy-dippy shit-thought OUT OF HERE. :mad:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Not this shit again. Yes, they are piling up in some places, yes, there are several start ups that are in the process of recycling blades. There is tech for it and it’s just spooling up.
It’s a year old article so…
It’s an interesting idea. I didn’t think the blades would have a short enough life for them to be piling up. It seems like someone designing a “green” product would have maintenance and disposition thought through.