Quantcast

the gearbox thread

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
I think they are just using two to:

a) make up for the high leverage ratio(/poor design?)
b) require less air pressure
c) be twice as punk as bikes with only one rear shock.

That said, I actually think the frame looks pretty cool.
I'd skip the dual disk front brake though.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
The '2 off everything' approach is so 1990's pfft.

The HT idea is exciting, a concentric BB mounted bearbox i have thought is always a nice idea from a design point of view. Opens up the sus options a lot more.

dazz

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
Down Under
Looks like Ellsworth have released the first full production bike with the continuously variable ratio NuVinci hub. It is just a weird looking cruiser, but at least the hub is finally on the market.

Look down near the bottom of the page here:
Ellsworth Bikes (it's called 'the ride')

Also the hub can be purchased separately (through your LBS) from here:
Seattle Bike Supply
(just do a search for nuvinci in the online catalogue) direct link to hub

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the nuvinci is a neat concept, but the production hub is 9+ lbs. i'm a bit dubious as to the designs suitability in more 'sporty' applications.

dazz

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
Down Under
the nuvinci is a neat concept, but the production hub is 9+ lbs. i'm a bit dubious as to the designs suitability in more 'sporty' applications.
Yeah, it is pretty bloody heavy! Hopefully it can be refined & developed over the next couple of years to a point where use as a gearbox in a DH bike is an attractive option. It will be interesting to see how it's development goes, not just for bicycle's but in other applications as well.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Clever guy.

The paper's not too hard to follow if you don't let the maths (sorry, that's "math" to our North American brothers) phase you, but the video is great at demonstrating how it works.

Nice one. Be interesting to see the efficiency figures, but that's a damn impressive piece of work.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
I think those are custom wide cranks to clear all that stuff. Polycarbonate side plates??? Onboard brake caliper bolted to polycarbonate side plates???? Also, I don't think it's a concentric pivot, so I'm surprised the brake works right and there's no tensioner needed. Crazy dropouts. Double top tubes. 270mm travel????

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I tried to lift it once and it is not so heavy, well maybe 25kg as a complete build but yeah it is a crazy prototype... the cranks must weigh a ton alone. Polycarbonate looks killer in person. When I saw the bike, it had a belt drive instead of chain, but the guy who built the bike said to me he got rid of it because the braking was problematic. Still he has to run a 160mm rotor, not sure if the 203mm would fit and what would it do to the chain. Not sure whether he has made a floater too, but I know he could if he wanted.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
I looked at this for a design of my own, including the inboard braking, what put me off was the width of everything up in your frame, plus if the chain snapped you were brakeless! I had a alfine hub and the thing I just couldnt get comfy with was the gear range, your going to use 4 gears of the 8. They do shift fairly fast though.Cant see how this would be reliable without a concentric pivot either. Nice work though for sure I think this bike is a great concept and a good first off. Certainly better than i have done.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
that thing is insaine!

i could never get on board

braking thru chain to feel any where

near as positive as on wheel.

that is not like the alfine shifter i have,

might be home mod SRAM though.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Is! I had a alfine hub and the thing I just couldnt get comfy with was the gear range, your going to use 4 gears of the 8. They do shift fairly fast though..
you know i like large jumps in gear shifts. thats they way i run my 5 speeds.

mine should be here in time for Christmas. i am psiked.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Be cool if you could remove half the crap out of the hub to get the weight down though if your only using 4 of the 8?
i have been checking your site regularly Alex, when you giving us some hints?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Be cool if you could remove half the crap out of the hub to get the weight down though if your only using 4 of the 8?
i have been checking your site regularly Alex, when you giving us some hints?
i really need the hub in hand to get some measurements for clearance b/f i start drawling. i am ordering a red stripe soon. same size, dif guts. then i can start my drawling.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
That's a great design, simple. I personall like the disc brake mounted there- it's out of the way and not it's sprung weight. I'm sure after a season of riding it you would get the feel down.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
good job, guess i can call in sick to my LBS job today.

hahah, thanks EVRAC, ................ok what does your name mean?

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
good job, guess i can call in sick to my LBS job today.

hahah, thanks EVRAC, ................ok what does your name mean?
It's CARVE backwards. That's my component brand name. I've been making small batches of stems, pedals, chainguides, headlights (and if you look back far enough, brake boosters) etc, for about 12 years. I'm hoping the new pedal design might see some volume production.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
So with the alfine, if you were to put it above the Cranks and drive it by the cranks how do you get the alfine hub to drive the rear sprocket at the rear hub? I really need to read up on this stuff more. I have a nice concept frame designed and wasn't going to use a GBOXX in it sense the cost was way to high on it. Now with this and the cost factor being lower I may just try it.

Also don't you not want the alfine hub to spin? Would that not act like a Gyro or to some sort of effect?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
So with the alfine, if you were to put it above the Cranks and drive it by the cranks how do you get the alfine hub to drive the rear sprocket at the rear hub? I really need to read up on this stuff more. I have a nice concept frame designed and wasn't going to use a GBOXX in it sense the cost was way to high on it. Now with this and the cost factor being lower I may just try it.
you'd bolt a ring to the hub for your secondary chain. really simple, and (i think) a better solution than the sealed primary / crank arrangement of the gboxx systems. ie, the lahar rohloff:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Unfortunatly with the Shimanno hubs,the room is limited to mount the output sprocket(like on the Rohloff above)due to the shifter cables,so mounting the sprocket on the other side of the hub(gearbox)either on the disk mounts or spoke mounts would be more suitable,like GT and Darkside. Then you're stuck with the wrong side chain issues aswell.So you can either run anonboard brake like the Darkside or run a flipped caliper on the wrong side like GT. Pitty the hubs aren't a touch thinner,I'd run an on board brake,but i'm only 70kg. There's other soloutions,but that's the basic options(running the shimanno lengthways with a twisted belt for drive,LOL).

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Really nice clean gearbox bike by VARIO ("Techno") shown in their 2008 product catalogue with the SR SUNTOUR V-Boxx: http://www.vario-bikes.com/new//Contenu/vario-cata08.pdf. This production version looks very similar to the prototype shown at Eurobike 2007 (http://www.transcendmagazine.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=eurobike2007&id=P1040416, http://picasaweb.google.de/TFJ777/Eurobike07Part2/photo#5104599827476064802, http://picasaweb.google.de/TFJ777/Eurobike07Part4/photo#5104942166434334034), now with nice painting/graphics.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Cool.

I'm counting down till Dec 24 on the g-boxx site:

"Expect to see the BOXX mystery on
the video premiere Dec. 24. 2007"
You REALLY like gearboxes, don't you.

Now that I think of it... how does one go about getting their g-boxx serviced? Ship the entire frame back to Germany?