Quantcast

the gearbox thread

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Just thought I would post an update. My bike has had hundreds of hours riding now that she is a year and half old. Drive system is as good as new!!! no broken derailleurs. Zero maintennce! blah blah blah
how do you like the pivot that high?

alex

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Just thought I would post an update. My bike has had hundreds of hours riding now that she is a year and half old. Drive system is as good as new!!! no broken derailleurs. Zero maintennce! blah blah blah
good to see she is still performing well.

thats easily the coolest shaped front triangle ive seen.. nice paint job too. How about a carbon rear end to match?

i dont suppose you know off hand how dodzy's high pivot rig is going for him too?

metzy

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
re: pivot hight. Given the fore/aft position of the pivot which was determined by my gearbox config this is the position that gives neutral pedalling given the chain line, my height and wheelbase. In that respect it's great. Ie neutral pedalling. It also eats up bumps like mad with the rearward axle path. No downsides that i have encountered yet.

Some would say it needs a floating brake do to brake induced squat, I would say it's not something I notice and if you look at Fabien Barel floating brake set up it mimics the behaviour of a high pivot bike without a floater.

Dodzys bike is retired in his garage. Needs a few tweaks for race worthyness.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
^ For Metzy
A question concerning inboard brake setups

I've been searching around but cant really find an answer for this. Say I were to run a nonconcentric pivot, as in a single pivot with the "gearbox" drive sprocket in front of the pivot, yet somewhat inline with the swingarm - pretty much picture a motorcycle, or dirtbike. On the Driven sproket of the system I want to put the inboard disc brake - In hopes that since the main swingarm pivot and gear box are non concentric, i can acheive a lower overall width by having them inline and having the rotor on the center of the gearbox aka internally geared hub.

Ok thats the setup, now how would it react when braking forces are applied, i.e. squat or jack? would it be unique to how the chain forces are - negative or positive chaingrowth or is it affected differently. Since chain growth/shrinkage is almost unavoidable with this setup, unless you were to run a third chain and make the main pivot a jackshaft setup (and add more weight) I'm assuming brake interaction with an inboard setup and non concentric pivots is unavoidable as well.

Let me know what you think and if there are any references or resources i could research on this that already exist.

metzy

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
I have a great reference for this situation. There is some good moto info around about the 'reverse torque" created under engine braking. this is the same as using an inboard brake. Depending on the specific geometry of the suspension it is likely the chain will reduce the amount of squat.

Imagine traction force at rear wheel contact patch. This tends to rotate the swing arm about the pivot. If the pivot is at ground level there will be no rotation. If it is high and back you will get squat. Weight transfer dominates in practice and all you really feel is dive in the front + rear wheel is so light under brakes the traction force in minmal........ unitl you get bumps then you can get loading and unloading........gets complicated.

a little info attached.

Attachments

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I have a great reference for this situation. There is some good moto info around about the 'reverse torque" created under engine braking. this is the same as using an inboard brake. Depending on the specific geometry of the suspension it is likely the chain will reduce the amount of squat.

Imagine traction force at rear wheel contact patch. This tends to rotate the swing arm about the pivot. If the pivot is at ground level there will be no rotation. If it is high and back you will get squat. Weight transfer dominates in practice and all you really feel is dive in the front + rear wheel is so light under brakes the traction force in minmal........ unitl you get bumps then you can get loading and unloading........gets complicated.

a little info attached.
Sure - and the torque from braking (engine or otherwise) is tending to lift the rear wheel off the ground in a 'squatting' setup. This lowers the mass force on the rear contact patch, reducing grip.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Thanks for the link metzy, would you mind sharing what book or source thats from? I'm picking up Foale's book on motorcycle suspension soon, that wouldnt be it would it?

That picture is OK, but I would most likely be using the same size sprocket front and rear, would this present a difference? the IC (or whatever the term for braking forces) would be alot different if the braking force vector or w/e was parallel with the the swingarm line throughout compression, right?

I've read that a bigger rear sprocket creates "squat" and vice versa creates "jack" as well, but what do the same size sprockets in the same nonconcentric arrangement cause?
It is my quess that the effect will largely dependent on the chaingrowth, positive growth causing squat (I know the pedalling effects on positive chain growth promote squat, not sure if the braking effects would be inverse) and negative growth the opposite.

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Alfine hubs are now for sale in the US apparently, from sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-alfine.html . cool stuff...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Thanks for the link metzy, would you mind sharing what book or source thats from? I'm picking up Foale's book on motorcycle suspension soon, that wouldnt be it would it?

That picture is OK, but I would most likely be using the same size sprocket front and rear, would this present a difference? the IC (or whatever the term for braking forces) would be alot different if the braking force vector or w/e was parallel with the the swingarm line throughout compression, right?

I've read that a bigger rear sprocket creates "squat" and vice versa creates "jack" as well, but what do the same size sprockets in the same nonconcentric arrangement cause?
It is my quess that the effect will largely dependent on the chaingrowth, positive growth causing squat (I know the pedalling effects on positive chain growth promote squat, not sure if the braking effects would be inverse) and negative growth the opposite.

That is from Gaetono Cocco's book. You can find it on Amazon but I would recommend staying with Foale's book. The Cocco book has some inaccuracy in it that can confuse things, especially for someone trying to learn.

captainblt

Chimp
Apr 3, 2008
Seattle/Bellingham WA
Has anyone tried replacing the bottom bracket with an internal drive "hub"? Obviously, this would require some modifications to the size of the bottom bracket, but here's what I'm thinking.
Using a Rohloff type hub, replace the BB. The gearing would start at the axle that currently goes through the BB, go through adjustable gearing, just like the rear wheel, and then there would be an external gear, around the axle but able to move independently, to drive the wheel. This way, frames could be standardized to accept a specific "hub", just like they currently accept standard BB sizes. Basically, I'm reversing the direction of the hub. Instead of the chain driving the axle, the axle drives the chain. There could either be a fixie hub on the wheel, and the new "BB" would allow the pedals to move freely, or a standard hub could be used on the rear wheel. The benefit of the fixie hub is less unsprung mass and the ability to shift without pedalling, but the chain will always be moving.

I've been thinking about this for a little while, but unfortunately lack the means/ability to try it out myself. I hope one of you can take it and run with it!

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Has anyone tried replacing the bottom bracket with an internal drive "hub"? Obviously, this would require some modifications to the size of the bottom bracket, but here's what I'm thinking.
Using a Rohloff type hub, replace the BB. The gearing would start at the axle that currently goes through the BB, go through adjustable gearing, just like the rear wheel, and then there would be an external gear, around the axle but able to move independently, to drive the wheel. This way, frames could be standardized to accept a specific "hub", just like they currently accept standard BB sizes. Basically, I'm reversing the direction of the hub. Instead of the chain driving the axle, the axle drives the chain. There could either be a fixie hub on the wheel, and the new "BB" would allow the pedals to move freely, or a standard hub could be used on the rear wheel. The benefit of the fixie hub is less unsprung mass and the ability to shift without pedalling, but the chain will always be moving.

I've been thinking about this for a little while, but unfortunately lack the means/ability to try it out myself. I hope one of you can take it and run with it!
you have just described one of the things i have been working on for the last year or so. Its a simple and good idea but tricky to actually impliment, mostly due to space restrictions, maintaining an acceptable q factor etc..

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Man, where do these places come up with the money to build such custom fab intensive products! Send some this way!! :)

bikemonkey

Chimp
Feb 1, 2008
Santiago, Chile
Man, where do these places come up with the money to build such custom fab intensive products! Send some this way!! :)
not all places have big resources, :nopity: I am currently designing a toned down and cheaper DH frame, that will be easier to sell :greedy:. all the earnings will go into funding a gearbox bike.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
I searched but couldn't see if someone had already posted this.

"The Bomb Boxx9 of “Bouncing Betty”, a new limited edition frame, packs 9 powerful speeds into this lethal machine.
They perfected high performance and then took it over the top, the result is going to lay an assault on the DH world cup scene! Take your ride to the next level, drop the Bomb!

From Taiwan.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The bits the frame that go down past the shock look poorly designed,why not either run all fat square tube or.... That X looks weak as. It can only be as strong as the X bit or the welds below it. Otherwise looks long lasting. Are they for sale,or is it proto? I know it says limited run,but what does that mean?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
there are going to be so many gearbox bikes
next year! or when suntour gets there stuff together!

i bet shimano is working on a gboxx2 figment box to get
in on the action that is soon to come.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
I searched but couldn't see if someone had already posted this.

"The Bomb Boxx9 of “Bouncing Betty”, a new limited edition frame, packs 9 powerful speeds into this lethal machine.
They perfected high performance and then took it over the top, the result is going to lay an assault on the DH world cup scene! Take your ride to the next level, drop the Bomb!

From Taiwan.
I believe this was shown at eurobike in 2006, but with no follow-up in '07, meaning that it's most likely a dead project. It was also exactly the same bike at the suntour booth, labeled suntour and painted white.

I really hope suntour can get it's s--t together on this. We really need an affordable box. The german g-boxx will be better I'm sure, but it's dangerous to have all our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
I believe this was shown at eurobike in 2006, but with no follow-up in '07, meaning that it's most likely a dead project. It was also exactly the same bike at the suntour booth, labeled suntour and painted white.

I really hope suntour can get it's s--t together on this. We really need an affordable box. The german g-boxx will be better I'm sure, but it's dangerous to have all our eggs in one basket, so to speak.
Ah, if it's from that long ago no wonder I couldn't remember seeing it before. Remembering last week is hard enough:bonk:

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Very nice man, way to get out there and do something special. Looks cool and definitely some sweet little custom features on there. I dig the BB/freehub, nice idea.
thanks man, i was stoked to watch yours get built up. I have been working on this since january for school kind of off and on. its nice to be done.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I got a question about the Ratcheting type cvt's like Lahr's and Honda's and any before it.

It seems like most of the designs, including his are able to transfer a variable output in a single direction independent of the direction of the input (although usually not optimized for reverse direction input). In other words if you back pedal you will still be pedalling, so say you need to ratchet through a tight set of rocks your back pedal stroke will be creating the same forward motion as a pedaling forward - making it tricky i would assume. Do you just throw another sprag clutch inline before the input? Also does anyone know the weight of Lahr's cvt (just the removable transmission part, no input or output drivetrain)? thanks :thumb:

::Edit:: oh damn 600th post. giggidy giggidy

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
lahr cvt = 3lbs i believe

in answer to your 2nd question, in the case of the lahr i suppose it would really depend on the profile of the cam. If the cam follower responds to the direction of rotation being reversed without getting stuck then no need for another sprag, as there will already be one just before the output.

If i were to guess id say he doesnt have an additional sprag for if the pedals are reversed as they are relativley heavy and 3lbs is light for such an assembly.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
lahr cvt = 3lbs i believe

in answer to your 2nd question, in the case of the lahr i suppose it would really depend on the profile of the cam. If the cam follower responds to the direction of rotation being reversed without getting stuck then no need for another sprag, as there will already be one just before the output.

Being that its at the output won't it have already been through the ratcheting part of the cvt, and transfered into forward motion tho (assuming the follower can follow the cam bidirectionally)? A sprag would only stop feedback from the back wheel at that point (allow it to coast) right? Thats what I'm kinda caught up on with my design, bidirectional input = unidirectional output. I could easily throw another sprag in but its so mechanically simple right now, I don't wanna clutter it so to speak.

3lbs is impressive, I thought I heard 9lbs or something but that must of been something else.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Being that its at the output won't it have already been through the ratcheting part of the cvt, and transfered into forward motion tho (assuming the follower can follow the cam bidirectionally)? A sprag would only stop feedback from the back wheel at that point (allow it to coast) right? Thats what I'm kinda caught up on with my design, bidirectional input = unidirectional output. I could easily throw another sprag in but its so mechanically simple right now, I don't wanna clutter it so to speak.

3lbs is impressive, I thought I heard 9lbs or something but that must of been something else.
i think ive maybe misunderstood your question,

from what i can gather the way you have it set up you will need another sprag so that the whole cam follower assembly only moves in the one direction, although without pictures its hard to tell as im trying to visualise your setup..

im working on something similar at the moment.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I guess look at it as if the Cam is the driven member of the input. I'm not sure if thats the inversion the Lahr CVT uses for bicycle use though now that I think of it.