Quantcast

The Hardcore 24 (Cutler)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The Setup

So this weekend a bunch of us decided to hit the newly named "Hardcore 24", formerly the 24 hours of Cutler. We brought 2 teams and one solo rider. The solo rider was greasey monkey doing his first solo 24. Our 4 person male entry was "Dirty White Boys" (80's Rochester rock band reference) featuring Echo, Sorgie, Sq-earl, and Squid. Our 5 person co-ed entry was "Team Jackalope" featuring Tweek, TreeSaw, Crashby, Instigator and Stuntmatty.

The Course

I didn't know what to expect from this course because I had never ridden the trails before. We did our pre-ride Friday night and I was pleasantly surprised. It was fun and HARD! Naming this race the "Hardcore 24" is definitely appropriate. It starts out sending you down a little chute, where you ride by a small outdoor amphitheatre (where bands were sometimes playing during the race). Then you cruise by a pond, and do a small climb to some singletrack. Then you do a pretty significant climb, which leads to some really fun singletrack in a pine forest. That singletrack also does some climbing and you end up in a big field at the top of the world. Then you do a seriously high speed downhill fire road, leading directly into a granny gear WALL of a climb that I only made once during the race. But at the top of that nasty uphill, you are rewarded with easily the most fun section of trail I have ever seen in a 24 hour race. Technical, fun and challenging are the key words. After a few miles of that, you get some pretty gnarly white knuckly downhill singletrack, and you pass tantalizingly close to the start-finish area. But much to your chagrin, you are then sent back UP another pretty significant climb, then you BOMB down this fireroad, do a quick bit of singletrack, pass the pond again, and finish the lap. Whew!

The Race

These times might be a little off because I'm going from memory, sue me! From my viewpoint the race went awesome. Sorgie started us out in the 90+ degree heat and turned a solid lap of about 1:03 I think. Sq-earl went out second and of course ripped a scorcher at about :55. I went out third and suffered through about a 1:07. It was so damn hot I could barely breathe, I have mad respect for everyone who turned a lap on that course this weekend. Squid went last for our team, and hadn't done a pre-ride. He learned the course the hard way on his first lap, and got a respectable 1:13.

We had decided we wouldn't look at the standings until the morning, but someone informed us that we were in 3rd place with 4th pretty close behind. Sorgie and Sq-earl turned in a couple more hot laps, with Sq-earl managing a 1:01 even with a broken chain. When I went for my second lap it was a bit cooler and I managed a 1:06. Squid went out and obviously benefitted from knowing the course, turning a 1:05. Still hanging on to 3rd place at this point, 1st and 2nd were running away with it.

Our third rotation got us into the night, where Sorgie and Sq-earl continued to dominate and stretched our lead. I turned a 1:13 which was a little slower than I hoped, but it worked. Squid's first night lap was I'm pretty sure his first ever night ride, and he turned in a respectable 1:20. Still hanging on to 3rd but 4th was gaining on us.

Our 4th rotation was the deathmarch through the early morning hours. Sorgie and Sq-earl were still pounding out fast laps, but my 3am lap was hell. I was dead tired and could barely spin my legs. I did my best to make some time up on the downhill sections and managed a disappointing 1:20, giving 3rd place up in the process. Squid went out and improved his night riding skills producing a 1:13. At this point we were down 10 minutes on 3rd place.

Our 5th rotation was the key. Someone overheard the team that passed us for 3rd talking smack about how they passed us and were going to pound us into the ground. Sorgie took offense to that, and laid down the f*cking LAW, pounding out a 1:01, taking back 3rd place, and getting us a small 45 second lead. Sq-earl also apparently took offense to the smacktalk, and turned a 1:00 lap, extending our lead significantly. At this point I didn't know how my body was going to react to another lap based on how whipped I was on my 4th lap. But I was determined to not let Sorgie and Sq-earl's efforts go to waste. I was gonna either turn a fast lap or die trying. I laid down everything I had and managed my fastest lap of the race, a 1:04. Squid went out and did the same thing, putting it all on the line and doing a 1:04ish lap. We now had over 40 minutes on the smacktalkers.

The final two laps were done by Sorgie and Sq-earl, who just plain don't slow down. Sorgie did a 1:02 and Sq-earl did a 1:00 coming in at 12:09pm, almost forcing me to go out again. A well earned 3rd place was ours with 22 laps completed.

We had an awesome support crew, including my GF who made me awesome sandwiches which I think were the secret super fuel.

The Best For Last
Our friend greasey monkey, in his first ever solo 24, turned an impressive 16 laps, getting 2nd place for his category and 3rd place overall for solo riders. AWESOME JOB!

We also had the pleasure of meeting one of Westy's good friends and training partners, Bob Anderson. This guy is one of the nicest and most humble souls on the planet, and also happened to dominate the solo class by turning in 20 laps. WOW.

Our 5 person entry also did very well, considering they had some illnesses to deal with. I think they finished 5th in their class, with Tweek turning in especially impressive consistent fast laps. Crashby I think pounded out a 1:02! Instigator did a 1:06 in the hottest conditions of the race, and paid for it in dehydration unfortunately. And stuntmatty won the "Most Improved" award - in Dalton last year he could barely make the climb, fast forward to 2006 where he went out and kicked serious ass every time he got on course. I think his best lap was a 1:02. TreeSaw, just a few months after having a child (and actually nursing said child between laps) turned in an extremely impressive performance!

Conclusion
This is a race you should all consider doing next year. The course is a monster but it's FUN, and damn challenging. They did a really cool thing at the start where they had a band start playing in the amphitheatre right as the runners took off for the LeMans start. Really cool effect since you ride right by there at the beginning of the lap.

The schwag was better than ANY race I've EVER been to, you would not BELIEVE the schwag list. The 1st place solo rider (Bob) got a $2700 Trek OCLV hardtail frame, they also raffled off a Cannondale Rush frame and a Cannondale CAAD-8 road frame. To add to the coolness, you could get whatever size frame you wanted when you won. I ended coming home with 2 jerseys, a Stan's NoTubes kit, and some gloves. Someone got a Park repair stand, the list just went on and on. Awesome.

Treesaw, post your pics!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You guys all rock. Where is that race again?

You guys sure did pick a hot weekend to do a 24 hour race. You should have picked a weekend that was going to be cooler. :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
But I was determined to not let Sorgie and Sq-earl's efforts go to waste. I was gonna either turn a fast lap or die trying
:thumb:

it's what racing is all about.

awesome writeup echo. congrats to all the racers.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
awesome job!!! :thumb:
and very impresive to throw down FAST laps on your 5th time out !!!

I am thinking hardcore '07 will be a definite on my to do list

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Figure I'd poke my face in here for a sec. Yes, nice writeup, Echo.

I don't have the officially unofficial timing boxtop, but here's some random thoughts about my team (5-person Jackalopes): Felt bad seeing Instigator and Crashby suffering the effects of heat on the gut, but props to them on rebounding for another lap. Especially Instigator, who looked down for the count. I was happy with my lap consistency: 0:59, 1:02, 1:07 (night), 1:02, especially when I felt like I was slagging it just to survive the late Sun. morning lap. Just goes to show that as long as you keep moving, you're in the running. Treesaw can attest to that too as she felt the same way about her early Sun. morning lap. She couldn't figure out where she made up the time, but the lap was quite respectable. Stuntmatty also had very impressive consistent times throughout the weekend, especially his night lap and hot morning lap.

For those of you Monkeys who raced Dalton last year, you know exactly what all of us were up against with the heat. It was pretty much a carbon copy weekend, except that our campsite had no trees for shade, and we were minus one popup tent. <wheeze> Some of the climbs were comparable to Dalton as well -- long fireroad climbs that kept going just when you thought they were over.
Overall, the race was fun despite some facilities issues that need to be addressed -- lack of porta-potties and water stations on course, for example -- but they did OK for what was essentially a local event.

C'mon out for next year's Hardcore 24!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Foreigner Rules! :)Just kidding.

Way to go all the Monkeys and nonmonkeys who participated!

Where are the pics??? ;)

And who is the super babysitter to watch the little Treesaw and Squirel while they raced? That person or person(s) should get high praise. :)

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
That's a great report, but it has to be said:

This thread is (almost) worthless without pics!!

Oh, and Treesaw feeding the baby between laps takes the cake. Freaking awesome!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Ah yes, the Hardcore 24 definitely lives up to it's name :thumb: This really was an excellent race and all of the proceeds went to a good cause (the Boy Scouts) so it's on our to-do list for '07 and we hope to see lots of monkeys there too.

Echo's write-up was dead on...this was a challenging course. There was a tough balance of climbing (knee crumbling steep and long steady grades), tight, flowing singletrack and white-knuckled downhilling that left a smile on my face after every lap. The heat was awful and there were moments (on an open field climb for instance) that I felt like I was going to burn up, but managed to keep on pushing.

My first lap started in the heat of the day and I managed a 1:34. I was psyched for my night lap because I enjoy the peacefulness that night riding gives and was looking forward to the cooler temperatures. Unfortunately, I started through the pines section and got a catch/cramp in my side...must have eaten or drank too much to close to my lap. Echo passed me just as we entered the field and I was surprised that I had gotten that far as fast as I had with my catch. At any rate, I pushed through the cramp and managed a 1:37. When I returned to the start/finish line, stuntmatty wasn't there :eek: so I rode straight down to camp where he was a bit surprised to see me back so soon and he headed out as well. I also returned to find out that Instigator and Crashby were battling the effects of the heat and fatigue, which reminded me to eat and drink plenty. :(

Each lap, I felt like the field climb got closer and went by a little faster...that is until my 6am lap. I was dead tired and started making stupid mistakes. I even managed to fall off my bike when I was trying to jump off for a steep climb that I clearly didn't have the legs for. At this point, I decided to take a breather at the lovely overlook which was conveniently just before the screaming-fast DH section of course (on which I would have crashed SO hard without my wits about me). I ate a clif bar and drank a bunch of water to get my wits about me and so that I didn't kill myself on the next section. I started to think that I had been out on my lap for an eternity so I let go of the brakes and held on for dear life. I went from dead tired to determined to get this lap over with. Somehow, I managed my fastest lap a 1:31.
Instigator was feeling better when I returned and wanted to brave the course again. Props to him and Crashby for coming back :thumb: I definitely tip my hat to all of the guys who were turning in smoking fast times. I was happy that I managed to race and kept my laps consistent, but I know that I could and should have done better (and plan to train for next year).

A big :thumb: for Stuntmatty. He has always rocked the DH sections of our rides, and now he represents on the climbs as well! He also managed to win the LeMan's start with Sorgie close behind. :D

All-in-all, I haven't been able to ride my bike and train like I did last year, but I managed to survive and had a great time hanging out with my friends. It was really cool to head out for a lap and have my baby girl there to cheer me on. :D One of my proudest accomplishments to date!!! It was also quite cool for Sq-Earl (Daddy) to be welcomed into the finish line by his daughter on Father's Day :love:

Now for the big thank you's. First, I have to thank Kate, Tweek's S.O. She came along to help out this year and was absolutely amazing. Every lap, I would come in and she was right there with a bottle of water or gatorade and already getting food ready for us. Also, a big thanks to my sisters and my in-laws for helping out with the baby during the race. It was a bit challenging to pump and nurse throughout the race, but I knew that my baby girl was well cared for when I was out riding and resting.

Ok...enough talk, here are the (few) pics that I have to share!

Stuntmatty, Sorgie and Greasy Monkey lined up for the LeMan's start.

Our cheering squad/babysitters:

Stuntmatty & Sorgie -- first and second in the run jump on their bikes and set off for their first laps.

Riders heading into the woods at the start of the race:

Each lap began and ended by rounding this pond. When you started out, you were on the upper ridge of the dyke and when you returned, you rode right on the edge of the pond. There were orange arrows guiding riders to the right line, but it was a little confusing for those who didn't get in a pre-ride ;)

Sorgie returning from lap 1.

Stuntmatty returning from lap 1 and discovering that he needed to go left instead of right (which would lead him into another lap)

Tweek heading out for lap 1.

Sq-Earl coming in from lap 1.

Sydney on a buffalo:

Echo on lap 1:

Instigator on lap 1:

Tweek returning from lap 1:

TreeSaw on lap 1:

Excellent Race and CONGRATULATIONS to everyone on their efforts!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
MMcG said:
Foreigner Rules! :)Just kidding.

Way to go all the Monkeys and nonmonkeys who participated!

Where are the pics??? ;)

And who is the super babysitter to watch the little Treesaw and Squirel while they raced? That person or person(s) should get high praise. :)
My sisters (from Dalton) and my in-laws took good care of Syd while we were racing.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
ghostrider said:
That's a great report, but it has to be said:

This thread is (almost) worthless without pics!!

Oh, and Treesaw feeding the baby between laps takes the cake. Freaking awesome!
Thanks! It was quite a balancing act, but I was just happy that I was able to survive the event and keep my times consistent while taking care of my little angel.:love:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Nice write up Echo, Tweek and Treesaw. I may just have to attend or race next year. A conflict with Mt Snow is the only thing that kept me away this year.

I'll keep this one on the list and try to up the schwag next year - sounds like a good event.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Mike B. said:
Nice write up Echo, Tweek and Treesaw. I may just have to attend or race next year. A conflict with Mt Snow is the only thing that kept me away this year.

I'll keep this one on the list and try to up the schwag next year - sounds like a good event.
You guys hooked the racers up great! You definitely put Stan's kits in a bunch of new bikes! Thanks!

greasey monkey

bow down
Mar 11, 2004
victor NY
Ok I think I'm still alive!!! Great write up guys! I have to say that was brutal, but a great time. I want to thank everyone for the support and help that they gave me it made it alittle easier to race with your help. Thank you!!!!! Maybe next year I'll try it again.:help: