Quantcast

the HollowPoint is starting to look like something

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I was bored last night, so I decided to swap parts over from my old mongoose to the hollowpoint frame I got in a swap a couple of weeks ago. I've never done this type of thing before, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to swap over the fork or the cranks - everything else I was pretty sure I could do.

Turns out the fork was fairly simple - a couple of parts from the old headset were stuck to it, but a bit of encouragement from the ol hammer got them off. The cranks I can't get off because I don't have the right tools. Everything else is coming along though.

Things I've moved:
- fork
- stem
- bars
- shifters/brake levers
- front vbrake
- rear derailleur
- seat post/saddle

Things I still have to do:
- move cranks/BB
- buy a front derailleur (LX)
- run shifter cable to derailleurs
- buy grips (Ruffian Lock-ons)

The frame is disc only, and I don't have a second set of disc brakes at the moment, so for now, I'm going to run just a front vbrake. Eventually I'm hoping to find a good deal on a set of used Avid Mechs.

The hollowpoint has a design defect where a brace between the seat stays hits the seat tube if the shock is bottomed out. IronHorse "fixed" the issue by providing new links that give a secondary shock mounting location. The problem is that it reduces the travel from 4.5" to 3". Once I get the build done, I'm going to look into drilling a 3rd set of holes, hoping to get about 4" of travel out of the bike. If it works, I may look into have a new set of links machined for me with just the one set of mounting holes, allowing for a reliable 4" of travel.

Here are a couple of pics - I'll get better ones when the monsoon passes.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Looking good.

jacksonpt said:
Turns out the fork was fairly simple - a couple of parts from the old headset were stuck to it, but a bit of encouragement from the ol hammer got them off.
Did you install a new crown race on the fork?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Nope... I didn't do nuttin - it was just a straight swap.

::EDIT::

Because of all the conversation below about the races and headsets, I want to clerify this post. I said it was a straight swap because each frame has it's own headset. I removed the fork (and all headset pieces) from the mongoose, and move the fork to the hollowpoint, using the HP's headset, including the race.

It was a direct swap of the fork only - not the headset.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Jackson - looking good so far. BTW, I've got a set of Avid mechs with levers and 165mm rotors sitting in a box somewhere if you're interested. We're also planning to ride Shindagin tomorrow if you're interested.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mike B. said:
Jackson - looking good so far. BTW, I've got a set of Avid mechs with levers and 165mm rotors sitting in a box somewhere if you're interested. We're also planning to ride Shindagin tomorrow if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer - I'm definitely interested, but probably not for a couple of weeks (once I recover from a few bills). How much would you want for them?

I got an e-mail about Shindagin... but I'm doing the halloween thing with my 2-year old tomorrow, so I'll have to pass. Are you riding with the Binghamton MTB club, or is it just coincidence that the club and you are both heading there tomorrow? Do you ride with the club often? Just wondering if we may have met before.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Is the headset part that was "stuck" on the fork the last metal piece that sits flush against the fork crown? If so that is the crown race that the guys are talking about. It sounds like you got it off but did you install the proper new one that came with the iron horse? Almost every headset uses a different bearing/race combo so you need to make sure you have the right one.

-Lookin' good!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yes, the race was one of the pieces stuck to the fork initially. I did get it removed, and I did replace it with the one from the IH.

Assuming I got the headset "assembled" correctly, I should be fine. From the bottom up, it went fork, race, a very small/think plastic piece that fit into a groove on the race, then the bearings (also grooved for the plastic piece) which fit into the HT.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If the crown race just slipped onto the fork and you didn't have to tap it down get a new one.

The ghetto tool for seating a crown race is using a piece of 1 1/4" PVC.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Wumpus said:
If the crown race just slipped onto the fork and you didn't have to tap it down get a new one.

The ghetto tool for seating a crown race is using a piece of 1 1/4" PVC.
The race went on easily by hand at first, but the last 1/2" or so took some, um, encouragement. Does that sound right?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
jacksonpt said:
The race went on easily by hand at first, but the last 1/2" or so took some, um, encouragement. Does that sound right?
yes, that sounds right. As long as it is sitting nice and flat, you should be in good shape.

I'd probably take $80 for the pair of brakes and they're just sitting around so no rush.

I ride with the Binghamton group a couple times a year. We did an early season ride at Shindagin too and had about 30 people.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
jacksonpt said:

Yep, sounds like it. If you can't remove it without using some tools your good.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
INCOMPATIBILITY STRIKES!!!!

Friday night, I basically just hand tightened everything... just getting parts swapped over. This morning, I took some time and snugged everything up, ran the cable for the rear derailleur, and "glided" down the hill in our field. It definitely didn't feel right.

Turns out the steerer is 1", and is obviously sloppy in the 1 1/8" headset. Oh well...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Slap that thing on Ebay, believe it or not there is a good market for 1" suspension forks. People looking to upgrade an older bike will go for it.

jacksonpt said:
INCOMPATIBILITY STRIKES!!!!

Friday night, I basically just hand tightened everything... just getting parts swapped over. This morning, I took some time and snugged everything up, ran the cable for the rear derailleur, and "glided" down the hill in our field. It definitely didn't feel right.

Turns out the steerer is 1", and is obviously sloppy in the 1 1/8" headset. Oh well...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
punkassean said:
Slap that thing on Ebay, believe it or not there is a good market for 1" suspension forks. People looking to upgrade an older bike will go for it.
I'm actually thinking about keep the frame, shock, fork, cranks/bb together and giving the whole deal to my cousin for christmas. He's got an old Mongoose hardtail frame that he's upgraded with some decent parts here and there. The frame/fork would be a nice upgrade for him, and I'd help him swap over all the other parts.

The hunt now begins for a cheap XCish fork...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
ufdff15 said:
if you get rid of that fork i have a friend that wants to upgrade his bike but needs a 1" steerer
k, I'll keep you in mind. But at this point, I don't think I could get enough for the fork to make it worth selling.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Dude, your garage is PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF the holy sanctuary of the garage and it's PINK!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna have to take 2 man points away for that move.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
My garage has at least 100 black widows, most likely at least one or two brown recluses, the walls are bare wood/concrete and water floods in when it rains. Does any of that keep me from working out there??? Hell no!

(how many man points do I get, huh Stosh, c'mon tell me)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
Dude, your garage is PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF the holy sanctuary of the garage and it's PINK!!!!!!!!

lol... actually, it's just the way the light was friday night. A partial sunset with a partial monsoon makes everything look pinkish/yellow.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
You should be able to use the new link in BOTH settings. That is why they made new links. The old links gave about 4.8in and the new ones go down to 4.7 to avoid hitting the frame... but you can stull use either setting.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
-BB- said:
You should be able to use the new link in BOTH settings. That is why they made new links. The old links gave about 4.8in and the new ones go down to 4.7 to avoid hitting the frame... but you can stull use either setting.
Yea... I noticed that yesterday. I played around with the shock a bit - at first I set it up really soft so I could easily bottom it out just sitting on the bike. I wanted to see how hard the frame hit, but it didn't... didn't even come all that close. There was probably a good 1/4" of clearance there. I put more air in the shock and set it reasonably close to how I'd ride it, and it feels pretty good.

FWIW... I emailed IH about the new links - they claim the bike has 4.5" and 3" of travel, depending on which mounting holes you use.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
lol... actually, it's just the way the light was friday night. A partial sunset with a partial monsoon makes everything look pinkish/yellow.
why do the light switch plates look white then?

J

JRB

stosh said:
If you are collecting them when you take them away, you only need 49,998 before you can trade them in on a set of balls for yourself. :D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
HTF should I know??? gotta be something about the way the materials reflect light.
no I just think you painted your garage PINK.
Maybe you need a pink bike too.

J

JRB

stosh said:
Pink bike or no pink bike, he will still have balls. Give the dude a break yo!!!!! :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
I'd rather have a pink bike that gets ridden than a yellow one that collects dust (or laundry - are you using that thing as a drying rack yet?).

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
I'd rather have a pink bike that gets ridden than a yellow one that collects dust (or laundry - are you using that thing as a drying rack yet?).

I thought I'd help gang up on him with you, but looks like you got it under control. :thumb:

J

JRB

stosh said:
He knows I'm only messing with him

Yeah well, I'm just messing wit you, so enjoy the funny stuff. The best part is how he is handing your ass back to you.