Quantcast

The Jan is axed!

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
NEWSFLASH: Jan Ullrich has been fired by his team T-Mobile following his recent implication in the Operacion Puerto blood doping scandal, according to german news agency SID. The German 1997 Tour winner is said to be in denial, but directeur sportif Olaf Ludwig has confirmed the news.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
T-Mobile sacked Jan Ullrich, their star rider of ten years, by fax for his involvement in Spain's doping probe, the rider said on his website on Friday. Ullrich, who was suspended from riding in the Tour de France, said that he was "disappointed" and that his lawyers would contest the decision.

What a massive meatslap right across The Jan's mug!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
While it DOES suck that he was fired by fax, why doesn't he just man up and take a dna test if he is so adamant about being innocent? Just get it over with instead of bickering about who should be proving it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heidi said:
While it DOES suck that he was fired by fax, why doesn't he just man up and take a dna test if he is so adamant about being innocent? Just get it over with instead of bickering about who should be proving it.
Jan's "denials" sound like defense lawyer posturing. "Can someone provide concrete evidence?"

Many cases based on circumstancial evidence, and I am pretty sure it is obvious he did the dope.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
sanjuro said:
Jan's "denials" sound like defense lawyer posturing. "Can someone provide concrete evidence?"

Many cases based on circumstancial evidence, and I am pretty sure it is obvious he did the dope.
Oh, I agree, that's what I'm saying. It's so silly..does he really expect people to believe he is innocent and just a victim here? :nope:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
My favorite quote from eurosport's coverage of today's stage?

"25 km The leaders whizz past some Mâcon vinyards, and a huge water tower. That water tower is truly the Jan-Ullrich-Off-Season of all water towers... a monumental girth." :D

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Heidi said:
Oh, I agree, that's what I'm saying. It's so silly..does he really expect people to believe he is innocent and just a victim here? :nope:
That angle worked for Tyler pretty well, at least with US fans in denial.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm sure that somewhere in his contract it says that lying to the team is grounds for termination.

But I am also pretty sure they took a "don't ask, don't tell" approach and are sacrificing Der Kaiser in order to (hopefully) keep their sponsor.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Westy said:
"A DNA test is traumatic, and not 100% reliable,..."-Ivan Basso's Lawyer.
Isn't a dna test done with a swab of your inner cheek and not 100% reliable since 1 in 100 million is wrong?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Reactor said:
His career was almost over anyway, what did he have to loose? This way he'll sue the team and maybe win a few bucks.
Under a different team (read: not disfunctional like T-Mobile), I'd say that the Jan has another year or two of GC placement. Just look at what a year on the Bianchi team did for him.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
sanjuro said:
Isn't a dna test done with a swab of your inner cheek and not 100% reliable since 1 in 100 million is wrong?
Correct, and if you have a cotton swab phobia it can be very traumautic.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
OGRipper said:
I'm sure that somewhere in his contract it says that lying to the team is grounds for termination.

But I am also pretty sure they took a "don't ask, don't tell" approach and are sacrificing Der Kaiser in order to (hopefully) keep their sponsor.
Yes, he supposedly signed a statement at the beginning of this entire scandal stating that he had no affiliation with Dr. Fuentes or the lab.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Westy said:
They can take a hair sample but you dare not touch someones 'do.
Perhaps the day will soon come where we can gather DNA evidence by simply breathing in one's general direction. We can only hope.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
He may well be guilty but there is only circumstantial evidence until he submits to a DNA test. And I'm no scientist, but I've read that it's hard and expensive to make DNA testing more than 99% reliable. That sounds impressive, but it means that 1 out of every hundred tests is (or could be) wrong. I'd be uncomfortable with those odds even if I knew I was innocent.