Quantcast

The Locking, Hiding, Stashing tools thread

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Currently working on designing a wooden box that we can bury in the woods and cover w/ leaves and dirt. It would hold about 3 shovels and a rake and have a lock.

Or maybe just a smaller box that holds the heads of all the tools, so the handles would stick out. This would be easier for me to get into the woods, cost less, etc. The box itself could be locked to a log or tree that is off the beaten path. The handles sticking out might be asking for someone to yank/rip them off though.

I have thought about drilling small holes in either the shovel handle or just below the area of the head, where your foot goes. Then running a metal ring or bar through that that would allow a cable lock to hold multiple tools together and maybe be locked to a tree.

We don't have too many tools and we don't have a wheelbarrow. Just a bucket to move dirt/water and less then five hand digging tools so far.

Of course, any device or box can be broken into but at least it's some type of deterrent.

What things have you guys done?

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
This goes along with a thread I want to start called "What is not trails", and having to lock up your stuff is one thing that belongs there. Anyways, we've drilled and locked the tools, but then the keys become an issue, combo is better, if you decide to go that route.

Ironically I will share what happened today. Upon rolling up on da joint, i seen a dude older than me (pretty old) with a fs xc bike and two kids, all the tools spread out in the berm where the dude is working. This berm is 6'+ and too steep tpo walk on, so Im like wtf is this dude doing. Well he thought it was cool to just make a path out of the berm so he can ride around the sets and do the berm. Then he asked how long until his 5yo will be able to "do the jumps", my fvcking brain almost exploded. We moved a s.hit ton of dirt because of the frustration level. Long live trails!!

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
Both, but the holes in the top of the handles will irritated your hands once they get sore. You can use a step down bit to drill just under the lip of the blade, dont make the hole too large it will sacrafice the integrity of the shovel. Also use a eye bolt in a tree to keep the handles off the ground, this will prevent them from deteriorating from the moisture in the soil. I would also like a box, but thats one more day of digging and nothing screams bolt cutter like a box full of important stuff. Hunters or hacks might bust open the box just to see whats inside. The shovels hanging in the tree is obvious and alot easier. Currently out tools are just laying behind the berm, I suspect they are at risk but thing have been quiet latley.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
This goes along with a thread I want to start called "What is not trails", and having to lock up your stuff is one thing that belongs there. Anyways, we've drilled and locked the tools, but then the keys become an issue, combo is better, if you decide to go that route.

Ironically I will share what happened today. Upon rolling up on da joint, i seen a dude older than me (pretty old) with a fs xc bike and two kids, all the tools spread out in the berm where the dude is working. This berm is 6'+ and too steep tpo walk on, so Im like wtf is this dude doing. Well he thought it was cool to just make a path out of the berm so he can ride around the sets and do the berm. Then he asked how long until his 5yo will be able to "do the jumps", my fvcking brain almost exploded. We moved a s.hit ton of dirt because of the frustration level. Long live trails!!
How do you handle a situation like this without losing your sh*t?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
At my old jumps I dug a hole about 12-16" deep 8ftx3ft, squared it out so it was a nice little cut out, laid down a piece of plywood the same size as the bottom. Then lined the sides with pieces of 1x4 decking, and then joined it all with a some nails. It fit most of the shovels, a rake, hammer and nails. To cap it off I put a piece of plywood and cover it with leaves. Problem solved.

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
At my old jumps I dug a hole about 12-16" deep 8ftx3ft, squared it out so it was a nice little cut out, laid down a piece of plywood the same size as the bottom. Then lined the sides with pieces of 1x4 decking, and then joined it all with a some nails. It fit most of the shovels, a rake, hammer and nails. To cap it off I put a piece of plywood and cover it with leaves. Problem solved.
Pure genius?

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
That sounds like a lot more effort than just carrying them to your car.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm not carrying my tools back and forth from my car to the jumps. we have to cross a creek and go down a long ass path.

My box idea is like DJ99's but it wouldn't be as large. just enough to hold a few tools/tarps. wrapping them in a tarp might just be easier though. then bury that..

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
That sounds like a lot more effort than just carrying them to your car.
When your trails are about a 15mins walk into the woods, carrying them back to the car every day isn't a viable option.

I was going to wrap them up with a tarp, but then I thought of how nice a tarp would be for a copperhead to crawl into and relax.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I bet if I made a hollow thick plastic (Realistic) log that you could open up and put shovels in, everyone would buy them.
Do it. While your at it, make a giant plastic mold the shape of a 5ft jump, put a hole in the top so you can lay it down and toss dirt into it then lift it up to have a perfect lip. Ya know, like a sand castle. :thumb:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
Do it. While your at it, make a giant plastic mold the shape of a 5ft jump, put a hole in the top so you can lay it down and toss dirt into it then lift it up to have a perfect lip. Ya know, like a sand castle. :thumb:
OMFG there are copper heads at your trails! The most dangerous critter that has ever been at my trails was a deer.

But seriously, should I make make hip and straight jump molds?

Last edited:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
OMFG there are copper heads at your trails! The most dangerous critter that has ever been at my trails was a deer.

But seriously, should I make make hip and straight just molds?
I came out to the jumps one super hot day, and completely out of routine I start taking the tarps off the lips, as I get down the trail a bit, I go to yank the tarp off and just as I am about to pull I see a huge copperhead sitting right on top laying in the sun. They are about as common as seeing deer here in Charlotte, which is often.

And yes, make me this, for jumps.

Last edited:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I came out to the jumps one super hot day, and completely out of routine I start taking the tarps off the lips, as I get down the trail a bit, I go to yank the tarp off and just as I am about to pull I see a huge copperhead sitting right on top laying in the son. They are about as common as seeing deer here in Charlotte, which is often.

And yes, make me this, for jumps.

That's is some crazy fvcked up sh1t! I'll never go to Charlotte now! That place is a death trap!

rekoner

Chimp
Jun 15, 2009
SE Virginia
Personally, I just wrap the head of my tools with shopping bags, and you could even tie them with the bag handles and stash them in a hollow tree near by.

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
Luckily, my jumps are near enough to a road to carry my tools back and forth from my car, but the big problem I have is with a wheelbarrow. While I can just leave my bike and tools in the back of my subaru all the time, I'm not going to drive around with a wheelbarrow strapped to the top. I tried to hide the thing in some tall grass with some camouflage on it, but it got stolen within a month. I guess that's the downside to having my jumps so close to a road, lots of people walk through them and it's nearly impossible to leave anything there

Right now my plan is to just find a crappy, free or really cheap one on craigslist and when it eventually gets stolen, just find another one. Not the best solution, but I can't really think of anything better. Any ideas?

Redbeard

Chimp
Jan 13, 2010
Chain the wheelbarrow to a tree. Sure it can be cut, but if it's just sitting loose someone may think it was dumped as trash.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just throw my tools in a pile, take a huge messy dump on them (some greasy mexican food, cup of coffee and a line of blow helps for 'on the spot' action), then I throw the corpse of a freshly beheaded baby on the poop, then lay down a few radioactive cadmium rods around the perimeter of the stack.

People tend to leave my stuff alone.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I just throw my tools in a pile, take a huge messy dump on them (some greasy mexican food, cup of coffee and a line of blow helps for 'on the spot' action), then I throw the corpse of a freshly beheaded baby on the poop, then lay down a few radioactive cadmium rods around the perimeter of the stack.

People tend to leave my stuff alone.
You must go through babies like there is no tomorrow.