Quantcast

The loss of getting lost and the ascendance of dentists

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I dont even care about strava KOMs...

Am like 50% slower than the KOMs, I soooo far below being kom-ish that I just really dont care... I just compare my times to my ride buddies, and use it for ammo for the post-ride trash talk...

its also very helpful to track how many miles I have used my bikes, and to know when to replace a casette or chain....

I forgot... some people i know use strava to compare bikes back-to-back, in order to decide if a new purchase makes sense or stuff like that. i can see a lot of use in that.

btw, the 29 vs 26 debate in flowy downhil-ish trails has been put to rest this way.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Here in Washington, it looks like carbon enduro bikes are really catching on. Much easier to push uphill evidently...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to own a few road and dirt KOMs on 20+ mile sections. Because I go for rides, not segment sprints.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I check my heart rate monitor to... uh, make sure it's still ticking. I've never used any sort of tracking devise but now that I know they come in carbon...

I do admit to using a cadence monitor on a road bike, it did make me a better spinner. I turn into a douch on a road bike because I like to prove that, over distance, skill and tactic trump raw power. I could easily get caught up in post ride quarterbacking.

On the trail no care.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
And what was that?

My times on a 26 vs 29 are nearly identical on my local trails.
on flat trails... most people got the same times.

on one certain 4-5 minute, 1100ft down, and another 3 minute 800ft down, fluid downhill-ish trails, a few guy got 10-15 seconds off their strava times when going from their high-end 160mm 26ers to mid-level 150-140mm 29ers...

guys who rode the 29er said they carried a bit more speed over rough sections, while feeling equally "safe"....

i still ride 180mm 26er, btw.. so no fanboyism here.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
As someone that dropped out of the road racing world in the late 80s I kind of understand but then again I don't give a rats ass about what other cyclists do or don't do. I ride for me, for the pleasure I get out of it. Somedays I push myself really hard other days the bike gets me to cool places to take photos, or to mud puddles to ride through and relive being 12 again. I don't have any electronics on the bike, I don't log miles or speed, don't care really. At my age I am just damn happy to be out here and not be a couch turd like so many of my contemporaries.

I like the guys that buy the $7000 bikes because all that tech dribbles down to my price point and gives me a really fun bike to ride at a fraction of the cost

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I call bullshit. He's a whiny Dad. Suck it up, Princess. :D
This.

I quit reading at denim shorts.
People who blame strava because life has passed them by are some of the saddest turds in the bowl.
And this.

There are plenty of us still out there exploring new trails off (and sometimes on) the beaten path. Drinking beer at the top of climbs in the middle of bumfucking nowhere. Riding for the experience of the trail, to see the sights, for the camaraderie, for the stories to share and tell. Fuck that guy and his whiny ass.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I agree with him, try working in a bike shop

." I want the lightest most expensive bike I can find"
Me: Why do you want that?
" Cause My buddy has one"
"Me: What kind of riding you want to do?
"I don't know"
Me: what style of riding does your buddy do?
"I don't know but he said he spent $7 grand on his bike
Me: will that be cash or charge?

It must suck when customers come into your store and want to spend money.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I only take my phone with me when i ride alone. I end up haveing to talk on it, because im a land baron and that is basically baby sitting adults. So i may just risk death and leave it in the car. Can i really find illegal trails that are awesome with strava? I probably couldnt figure out how to use it anyway.