Quantcast

"the marriage gap" (economist article)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9218127

thearticle said:
There is a widening gulf between how the best- and least-educated Americans approach marriage and child-rearing. Among the elite (excluding film stars), the nuclear family is holding up quite well. Only 4% of the children of mothers with college degrees are born out of wedlock. And the divorce rate among college-educated women has plummeted. Of those who first tied the knot between 1975 and 1979, 29% were divorced within ten years. Among those who first married between 1990 and 1994, only 16.5% were.

At the bottom of the education scale, the picture is reversed. Among high-school dropouts, the divorce rate rose from 38% for those who first married in 1975-79 to 46% for those who first married in 1990-94. Among those with a high school diploma but no college, it rose from 35% to 38%. And these figures are only part of the story. Many mothers avoid divorce by never marrying in the first place. The out-of-wedlock birth rate among women who drop out of high school is 15%. Among African-Americans, it is a staggering 67%.
thoughts?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Interesting. Could one also "assume" that age has quite a bit to do with the divorce stats, and perhaps maturity could factor into that too?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Bad news. I don't know how to fix that though. Quite frankly, when my wife and I met, we would have never ended up married if one of us was a high school dropout. Her intelligence is something that I value quite highly. She obviously didn't think intelligence was as important in a mate, but that's another topic altogether...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this article, and the problem in general, highlight the fallacy of the rich white kids who seem to advocate social darwinism: having screwed up (or absent) parents sets the kids off on entirely the wrong path.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
this article, and the problem in general, highlight the fallacy of the rich white kids who seem to advocate social darwinism: having screwed up (or absent) parents sets the kids off on entirely the wrong path.
Where's our poor little boy from Walnut Creek when you need him?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Interesting. Could one also "assume" that age has quite a bit to do with the divorce stats, and perhaps maturity could factor into that too?
This is why I hate statistics.

I think it's fair to assume that if you've got a college degree that you postponed getting married.

Life experiences are just as important to making good decisions as any decision-making skills learned in college.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch

I think it's fair to assume that if you've got a college degree that you postponed getting married.

Life experiences are just as important to making good decisions as any decision-making skills learned in college.
Typical jew response....

(That joke will stop being funny pretty soon...we're gettin' there.)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Statistics are never wrong; only our interpretations of them.

Obviously there are more questions but whether it's because of intelligence, or the education itself or a forced delay, there IS a correlation. There are also some very interesting trends over time... I need to read the article when I get a breather.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I disagree.

If they had compared all couples who got married when he was 25 and she 23, then we'd be a little closer to some sort of statistical understanding.

When there are too many variables to make a result useful, than the stats are "wrong".

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc

Obviously there are more questions but whether it's because of intelligence, or the education itself or a forced delay, there IS a correlation. There are also some very interesting trends over time... I need to read the article when I get a breather.

"Figures never lie, but liars always figure"

As far as thoughts......I really feel bad for women who have children too young and have to drop out of school because society is merciless and believes "If I made through college and got a job, why can't they."

Undergrad colleg is great because you can mess up every relationship and life in general and after graduation you get to start out new and hopefully not screw it up at work. Lessons learned.

Being married to a Phd (I don't know what she sees in my simple a$$) i shouldn't really comment on those, but I hear sometimes they are too caught up in their data to learn about personal relationships during their schooling.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I disagree.

If they had compared all couples who got married when he was 25 and she 23, then we'd be a little closer to some sort of statistical understanding.

When there are too many variables to make a result useful, than the stats are "wrong".
did you read the article? such comparisons are made.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
No there are just too may variables for us to come to a conclusion. There are never too many variables for us to come to reasonable hypotheses and then dive into the next phase of research.

The problem is that people try to conclude far too early. The problem is the people and not the numbers.

Here's an example... wmy firm doesn't use consumer surveys anymore because when you ask someone a direct question, they answer aspirationally, not truthfully. Does that make the data wrong? No, it just makes people very likely to misinterpret the data by taking it at face value... but there is a lot to be learned by diving deeper and trying to understand WHY people answer the way they do.

L

luelling

Undergrad colleg is great because you can mess up every relationship and life in general and after graduation you get to start out new and hopefully not screw it up at work. Lessons learned.
Wow...its good your old lady is a PhD...because you sound like an idiot. I used my undergrad connections to get a job...so to say you can **** off the entire time and come out happy as hell is bull ****. Get your head out of your ass. BTW...I'm going for my MBA and my wife is back in school to become a Dr. so I'm not some "uneducated" person criticizing you.

<edit> There always has been a correlation between education and the success of marriage and the success of their kids. Colleges educated people tend to wait to marry and tend to wait to have kids.....they are typically more financially secure (and finances are one of the big reasons for divorce). Driven people will always succeed, but educated people give themselves a better shot at it. God knows I need my education to make money....I'm not going to invent something that makes millions.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Wow...its good your old lady is a PhD...because you sound like an idiot. I used my undergrad connections to get a job...so to say you can **** off the entire time and come out happy as hell is bull ****. Get your head out of your ass. BTW...I'm going for my MBA and my wife is back in school to become a Dr. so I'm not some "uneducated" person criticizing you.

<edit> There always has been a correlation between education and the success of marriage and the success of their kids. Colleges educated people tend to wait to marry and tend to wait to have kids.....they are typically more financially secure (and finances are one of the big reasons for divorce). Driven people will always succeed, but educated people give themselves a better shot at it. God knows I need my education to make money....I'm not going to invent something that makes millions.
An idiot- well I won't argure there, but I will pull my head out of my ass and clarify:

In undergrad you can experiment with different personalities from a broad range of cultural and geographic diversities. Obviously you "mess up" or fail at every relationship until you find "the right one", but the exposure in undergrad is much greater than high school or the workplace post high school. Therefore you learn many relationship lessons and can either apply that to a clean slate in a new environment after college, or take "the one" person you were lucky enough to find in college to the next level.

With respect to the charts, the above could be a possible explanation why degreed parents stay together.

So is the divorce/single parenting curve due to intelligence gained through education, or..........simply due to the extra time one has to experiment with relationships during the process of getting an education??

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Thanks Opie.

He actually helped me think about what I wanted to say and pose a decent question to the forum. It's all good and...... midnight Eastern- I'm out for the weekend!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Wow! What findings!!!! Stupid broads make stupid decisions. Stop the presses.
Yeah, no sh*t, mte.
What's happening with average marriage age in the US lately? I remember hearing somewhere that people in the US tended to get married younger than people in other Western/OECD countries. I'd guess it's rising in the US as it is everywhere else.