Quantcast

The Most Expensive "Off The Rack" Mountain Bike

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
The specialized SW TARMAC SL2 here will set you back SFr. 10'999 or US$10154 and the one you posted will make you US$9969 poorer here. Either way, what's the point of this thread?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Special-ed doesn't even get pedals.

At that level I would get a Trek 9.something, atleast it is U.S. made,..for now.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Trek doesnt come with pedals at that level either. Well Most bikes dont come with pedals at that level.
Yeah that's the funny part of the Scott to me, they included Crank bros. 4 Ti pedals, the pedal I am least likely to ever use, or trust, but it come with them.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I think the most expensive frame is that hand-woven carbon grid, that looks like a crotch-grater. Would make for a spendy build...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
What kills me is the price of the high end road frames....ridiculous

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That's crazy, prices are getting almost too ridiculous.
Forks got crazy long ago once they went over $600 for single crown forks. There has not been any breakthrough in suspension technology that justifies the huge increases especially now that almost everything is made overseas even with the significant increases in raw material costs.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
you guys get bikes for cheap in the states. my lbs had a $7000 hardtail for a while on the floor. and it wasnt even a really really high end one.
the most expensive scott carbon roadie retails for around $14000 (catalog only) in that shop.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
and yeah, bikes are getting ridiculously expensive. for that kinda money, you can get a ktm adventure or something with an engine with as much if not more engineering, materials and racing pedigree on it.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Forks got crazy long ago once they went over $600 for single crown forks. There has not been any breakthrough in suspension technology that justifies the huge increases especially now that almost everything is made overseas even with the significant increases in raw material costs.
In regards to forks, everyone said the price of Avalanche forks were crazy, they remained the same while everyone else has caught up.:wacko:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Framesets from boutique makers are off topic (off the rack/mainstream bikes) but there was a beryllium alloy MTB HT frameset which was going for $26K at one time.
Ah, American, I had a M-16 back in the day.

Mysterious that frame was stolen right before they went bankrupt. :blink:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
so with the economy in the crapper all over, why do these companies bother to keep coming out with these way overpriced rides?
Don't forget, on 10% of the workforce is unployed.

This certainly affects the bike companies, but possibly not the high end machines.

Majority of Specialized's bikes are between $300-$1000. Even most of the sales in the higher end bikes are between $2000-3500. Those bikes are probably suffering.

But most people who can afford a $10k bike still can affordd a $10k bike.

However, I do not believe the margin on the $10k bikes pay for the much higher R & D costs involved with these machines. Ultimately, I believe these bikes are created as an advertisement mechanism. If you want to be considered a top company, you need to have the best bikes, period.

So if the margins on the S-Works line fail to pay for themselves, can Specialized justify whatever other benefits these bikes have?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A friend of mine scored one of those on Ebay for a relative steal. I rode it and was rather underwhelmed. Nice bike, not $8K nice, not even close.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
actually if i had that much id buy a full suspension trail bike, a hardtail jamis, and the awsomest bmx bike ever.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
In regards to forks, everyone said the price of Avalanche forks were crazy, they remained the same while everyone else has caught up.:wacko:

didn't avalanche prices go down?
because craig started to sell single damper versions etc...

and nowadays the DHF 7.5 or 8.5 are pretty cheap offerings
f only craig fixed the few problems of those forks :/

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
A friend of mine scored one of those on Ebay for a relative steal. I rode it and was rather underwhelmed. Nice bike, not $8K nice, not even close.
It was super fast on a pure race course. Maybe $4000 worth of bike. Not double that. I unstuck the brain valve with a rock. :D

The Stumpy FSR Sworks was more fun. Perhaps because of familiar geometry, but it was nicer on our typical trails than the Epic.

I still think the new Epics are pretty hot though.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Don't forget, only 90% of the workforce is unemployed.

This certainly affects the bike companies, but possibly not the high end machines.

Majority of Specialized's bikes are between $300-$1000. Even most of the sales in the higher end bikes are between $2000-3500. Those bikes are probably suffering.

But most people who can afford a $10k bike still afford a $10k bike.

However, I do not believe the margin on the $10k bikes pay the much higher R & D costs involved with these machines. Ultimately, I believe these bikes are created as an advertisement mechanism. If you want to be considered a top company, you need to have the best bikes, period.

So if the margins on the S-Works line fail to pay for themselves, can Specialized justify whatever other benefits these bikes have?
What sucks is the commitment to sell Sworks. I could have likely sold 2 this year, instead of Pro SLs, but can't make a commitment to 3 - 7 $8000 + bikes.

I live in a town of 60000 people though and have sold 6 $5000+ bikes this year. I am shocked by that.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For $8800, I would have a VERY nicely set up brand new off-road bike. And it would have a motor. Probably something along the lines of a YZ450.

For $13,000, I would have a tricked out KTM 690...

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
For $8800, I would have a VERY nicely set up brand new off-road bike. And it would have a motor. Probably something along the lines of a YZ450.

For $13,000, I would have a tricked out KTM 690...
Droping 8800 on a yzf450 is even stupid. When you can buy a honda kawasaki or suzuki at the same price and get fuel injection.