Quantcast

the next level...

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
This pic should go under the "whip" thread. Badass, has it all, hair flowing, super extended whip, canvas of trees and the location from where the pic was taken! Awesome stuff.

Now that I look at it a little more I guess it's not really a whip, kinda turn downish? Experts, please correct me, don, cru?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
This pic should go under the "whip" thread. Badass, has it all, hair flowing, super extended whip, canvas of trees and the location from where the pic was taken! Awesome stuff.

Now that I look at it a little more I guess it's not really a whip, kinda turn downish? Experts, please correct me, don, cru?
Not sure that I'm an expert (although, I am a Turbo Monkey now :biggrin:)... but, I can't see pics through Photobucket at work. And now you've really got me curious. Can you link it through Imageshack or attach it?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
yup, staight up shin burn turndown. The way you supposed to do them you essentially whip the tail about 90 degrees or more. Cru is going to have to post one of his to make me all jealous :shakefist:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
yup, staight up shin burn turndown. The way you supposed to do them you essentially whip the tail about 90 degrees or more. Cru is going to have to post one of his to make me all jealous :shakefist:
Ha. I've been struggling with them lately. There have only been a couple jumps where I feel really comfortable with them... but, none of them are at our trails. Hopefully, I'll have 'em on lock soon.

compound62 44.jpg

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yo Cru, when you pop those you have your forward foot "up"? I don't jump enough so it's all weird to me, I still have rights and lefts for things, like I turn to the left to whip, I X-up to the left, I table left side down...but I feel like I need to kick it out to the left to get a turn down, which is exactly opposite of everything else I do. And I'm right foot forward... Needless to say I am confused and MUST jump more!

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, I put my lever on the left for clearance. I jump left foot forward. You jump with your pedals level and then your front foot rotates down as you're going into the turndown. Part of the reason turndowns are so hard to learn is because, for most people, you have to learn to kick out to your opposite way.

I hope we're not derailing this thread too much, but these will help you get to the next level. Even watching a Chris Doyle "how-to" is bad ass...

Turndown

No Footer (check out the no foot X, you don't see many of those)

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Cru - t-down's on a mtn bike are probably one of the toughest tricks - skill wise. It's a pretty hard trick on 20" for some people and a mtn bike setup w/ the low bars and the high downtube makes it almost impossible. And like you said - the right jump definitely helps. You should be real stoked you can get them.

As far as the kick out part and the opposite way - I think Robo used to kick out his normal way but back pedal a half rotation to get his legs in the right spot.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
that's a great vid...saw it this morning. I was pumped after watching it. I've been in 50/50, coolest shop on the planet IMO. Any given night, you can see Berringer, the fuzz, and a crap load of others just hanging out in there...

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
don't usually like to just sift stuff off the bmx sites and throw them here but... this is exceptional. not sure if I am coming in late on this one. regardless, he kills it. again, the oft-thrown "changes your ideas about what is possible on a bike," is applicable.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
don't usually like to just sift stuff off the bmx sites and throw them here but... this is exceptional. not sure if I am coming in late on this one. regardless, he kills it. again, the oft-thrown "changes your ideas about what is possible on a bike," is applicable.

Sick. Those nose tap tailwhip things are unreal. Kind of reminds me of jumping rope, only replace rope with bike. :clapping:

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^

Thats the most rediclous video Ive seen a while. Those wallrides are so brutal looking. The one at the end doesn't look like its possible.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
^ you got that ride. when I watched that vid this weekend I thought to myself I could watch riding like that all day and not get sick of it...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I promise I was just going to post that link up cru. that's some killer riding in there.
Ha. I've been hangin' around here long enough that I've found some of the places to look for dope vids.

The Give D crew rips. But, don't they ride any trails? There are some killer DJ spots all over SoCal... but, I don't ever see footage of them shredding them.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
some ppl don't like trails. there's some locals that absolutely shred street and park (sponsored by eastern) but don't care for the trails. They can ride them but don't prefer them.