Quantcast

The Nicolai Nucleon TFR?

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Hss anyone got any information on this frame? I've read the bits of the site I can, but I was wondering about price and if it's been ridden yet etc.?

I'm sure one of the Team guy can tell me?

TIA :D

Attachments

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Before you write that check the bike isn't available yet and the pictures you're seeing are prototypes, the bike will change before final release.

I think it's actually an 05 bike, not an 04.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by crashing_sux
Before you write that check the bike isn't available yet and the pictures you're seeing are prototypes, the bike will change before final release.

I think it's actually an 05 bike, not an 04.
well, its a good thing its in the 2004 product listings then:rolleyes:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by drift1492
Adjustable wheelbase?
Assuming chain tension....though adding or subracting links and retensioning will change the wheelbase. That is what we do on motorcycles in desert racing, that and drop the forks in the crowns to rake it out as much as possible.

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
Ok, now i admit nicolais are pretty bikes. Wow look at all of that neat stuff on it. But HOLY ****, that is most likely gonna be one expensive mother.

I just can't see how its worth it. at all.

brian

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by UCSBrian
Ok, now i admit nicolais are pretty bikes. Wow look at all of that neat stuff on it. But HOLY ****, that is most likely gonna be one expensive mother.

I just can't see how its worth it. at all.

brian
you have to remember not only is it a 9"+ travel frame, but a Rohloff gear setup and crankset.

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
Yeah, i am well aware of what it is, and what it includes. That is still probably in the neighborhood of four THOUSAND dollars for a bicycle frame.

No thanks. Very cool though.

brian

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by zedro
specifically a Rohloff in a G-Boxx; the G-Boxx referes to the tranny case.
just so everyone knows the gearbox is not a Rohloff...but it's based off of a Rohloff....it will be a custom unit made by Nicolai last I heard....D

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Ok, so a highly modified Rohloff.

I'm dying to find out how the new Shimano Nexus 8R's are going to hold up, I've only seen one short writeup of it and they said that it felt like it pedaled more efficiently than the Rohloff. Plus it's a hell of a lot cheaper, can be used with trigger shifters, and is a pound lighter.

I hope it actually does all of that, but time will tell.

May 6, 2004
Hi Guys!

If anyone of you is interested in pricing of Nucleon TFR as well as weight details have a look as following link (it is in german and the weight is in grams but I am sure you will understand)

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=107737

so, how do you like it?

cheers
j.

ps.I suppose that there is some small mistake in weight of swingarm in enduro version, perhaps is should be 1350grams instead of 350g

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
rode the red one here in San Diego briefly (cuz Sanjay hogged the mofo :)) and built it back up in the back of the truck at Interbike.... It's a really promising concept.. Can't wait.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by Orven
rode the red one here in San Diego briefly (cuz Sanjay hogged the mofo :)) and built it back up in the back of the truck at Interbike.... It's a really promising concept.. Can't wait.
Can i get ur M-pire when you get a Gboxx bike:D

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
Can i get ur M-pire when you get a Gboxx bike:D
oh hell no. I'm holding onto this frame bec I like it better than my lambda (which you are about to ruin fo life in two or so days).

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Just Curious,

This CVT (continuously variable transmission) on the Honda is the same as a CVT used in automotive aplications?

If so, does anyone see the huge disadvantage of not being able to pick your own gears to better sute your power input for different riding situations? There is no one cadence for all, so being able to choose like a manual transmission would have obvious benifits over a transmission that works in a way related to a automatic (CVT) ?

Anyone have better insight to shed some light on this?

Cheers
a

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Yeah, that would suck. There is a cable going to it so they plan on having you manually pick the gear, you just have a hell of a lot more to choose from now.

No need to worry, Honda isn't dumb enough to do something like that for a race bike.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by atrokz
Just Curious,

This CVT (continuously variable transmission) on the Honda is the same as a CVT used in automotive aplications?

If so, does anyone see the huge disadvantage of not being able to pick your own gears to better sute your power input for different riding situations? There is no one cadence for all, so being able to choose like a manual transmission would have obvious benifits over a transmission that works in a way related to a automatic (CVT) ?

Anyone have better insight to shed some light on this?

Cheers
a
The CVT isn't like the CVTs you see on cars, because every CVT that you see in cars (Audi and Nissan, to be exact) is an automatic transmission. The Honda transmission is a manual tranny with the range of an 11-32 cassette, yet there are no pre-defined cogs to shift to. Instead, you can go anywhere between the upper and lower limits of the range.

Nicolai-USA

Chimp
Dec 23, 2001
Long Beach, CA
Originally posted by Horrendous Hack
UP.

Anymore experiences/information with/about the TFR?
not yet, I am getting a G-Boxx DH bike in about 2 months for testing, etc.

anyway, the Rohloff is a stop gap until the real tranny is done... ;)

is ****³

The bike is heavy like a Banshee (even heavier) I liftet itat the Eurobike last September and that was even with a light Sherman in.

And the chain is locatet through the chainstays!!!!

it kilckers and makes noises you`ve never heard from a Bike before.

But fo crusing on a promenade it is just the right bike everybody will turn around

:D

If this Concept should work, a belt is the better system or a Kardan

May 6, 2004
hope it will not be seen as too obvious but post as much pics as you can, cos' I'm dying to see prototype, although I'm mostly interested in enduro version!!!

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by tatankainlondon
hope it will not be seen as too obvious but post as much pics as you can, cos' I'm dying to see prototype, although I'm mostly interested in enduro version!!!
www.nicolai.net

Last I heard was €4300 (5,074.87 USD)(2,900.42 GBP), that's lot of money, I hope it goes down.

Nicolai-USA

Chimp
Dec 23, 2001
Long Beach, CA
the concept demo'd at Euro/InterBike weighed 42 pounds.

The chain was routed through the chainstays to show a concept of what can possibly be done.

The excess noise came from a loose chain; once the chain tension was setup properly, it was in fact very quiet.

You dont even have to go to the promenade to see posers; your local trail will suffice!

Originally posted by Demo9-lexle
is ****³

The bike is heavy like a Banshee (even heavier) I liftet itat the Eurobike last September and that was even with a light Sherman in.

And the chain is locatet through the chainstays!!!!

it kilckers and makes noises you`ve never heard from a Bike before.

But fo crusing on a promenade it is just the right bike everybody will turn around

:D

If this Concept should work, a belt is the better system or a Kardan