Quantcast

the official PNW restaurant recommendation thread

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hello all,

i thought it would be a good idea to have a thread in which we can recommend restaurants.

guidelines:
- include the NAME of the place, the CITY it's located in, and what KIND of food. see examples below.

toshi's recommendations -- note that he's only tried paseo's and nishino's out of the list (both are excellent!)

jak's grill (u district, steak)
dixie's bbq (bellevue, bbq)
cedar river smoke house (renton, bbq)
red mill burgers (seattle/interbay)
z'tejas southwestern grill (bellevue)
original pancake house (kirkland)
maltby cafe (snohomish, breakfast++)
daniel's broiler (seattle, steak)
el gaucho (seattle, steak)
bcd tofu house (edmonds)
morton's steakhouse (seattle)
paseo caribbean (fremont)
porta by the market (seattle)
todai sushi (redmond)
nishino (seattle/magnolia, sushi)

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
The Taco Truck in Monroe. There is one at each end of Old Main St. 5$ usually fills me up. Could people also include price ranges?
Coho Cafe in Redmond is also pretty good. 13-20$ a plate for dinner

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Effie burger in Lewiston Idaho

The taco wagon in the parking lot for the empty grocery store in Othello, Washington

Loco Grinz, hawaiian style plate lunch in Moscow, Idaho

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
jak's grill (u district, steak)
Also one in W. Seattle. Best ever EVER steaks,stuffed pork chops, and homemade salad dressing. Usually a wait, but well worth it! Kevin and I go for our birthday's every year.

Alki Cafe, (W. Seattle) for breaky. Really good home fries, not like the shredded brick you can get from some places.

Met Market, (W. Seattle & Queen Anne) Great Sushi for a great price. Made on site, melts in your mouth.

Wah Kue, (Burien) Chinese food. Not really authentic, but their almond chicken is awesome.

Cafe Ladro, (W.Seattle) coffee and desserts. Barista's are super ass cool, make drinks with lots of tasty foam. Homemade desserts....need I say more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
btw i'm keeping a list of the ones you all have posted that are near seattle and meet my screening criterion (yes, one: that it is listed on citysearch :D). this list has handy links straight to the citysearch pages in question, to answer your address/pricing/dress/whatever questions. ok, now there are two criteria, the second being that the restaurant choice hasn't been vetoed by my friends screening the list.

http://www.xanga.com/toshiclark/532781876/seattle-restaurants.html

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
more from the peanut gallery:

pomodoro (eastlake italian)
pazzo's (eastlake pizza)

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Jak's (W Seattle) - Wholeheartedly agree... order the UFO potatoes, they'll think you're a regular.
Buddha Ruksa (W Seattle) - My favorite Thai in Seattle, better than Wild Ginger, Typhoon, or Jai Thai (IMHO) www.buddharuksa.com
Brasa (Belltown) - Upscale, incredible chef (Tamara Murphy) www.brasa.com
Than Brothers Pho (Various) - Good cheap pho.
Luna Cafe (W Seattle) - Great breakfast.
Easy Street Cafe (W Seattle) - Great breakfast and lunch.
El Chalan (White Center) - Unique, authentic peruvian cuisine.
Taste of India (U District)
Cedars (U District) - Indian/mediterranean
Mashiko (W Seattle) - www.sushiwhore.com
Abondanza (W Seattle) - Great pizza and pasta.

edit: Melting Pot is great, but definitely a pricey experience. Nice to hit it up for the yin-yang chocolate dessert fondue.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
The Bagellry in Bellingham on I think Railroad Avenue? Best damn bagles you'll ever eat. You can get one and some creamcheese for like 1.50$, or get one of their gourmet bagels. Also, you can buy a dozen for like 10$. Man my mouths waterin already!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thanks for the suggestions. i eat at cedars quite frequently, so much so that i have to avoid it for a while to let the taste (as it were) of good and bad dates of yore slide from my mind :D

it's buddha ruksa (vs. ruska), just for the record for people who may google it.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Cactus, (Madison Park, W. Seattle) Southwestish chow. Dig their veggie fajitas's, fish taco's and cowgirl brownies. Would rate it much higher if they took reservations.

Peco's Pit BBQ, (Sodo) BBQ, duh. Only open M-F from like 11a - 3p and they only take cash, but the food is amazing. Well worth taking 5 Rolaids as a chaser.

Salumi Meats, (Pioneer Square) www.salumicuredmeats.com Their Mole Sausage is the bomb! They do catering, homemade soups and sandwiches

Second Badmonkey's call on Brasa. Tamara Murphy is one cool lady:biggrin:

Would like some suggests for north end food.....moving from W. Seattle to Shoreline is like a foodie's nightmare:(

Edit: Crap, I forgot to a Serafina, (Eastlake) Nothern Italian fare www.serafinaseattle.com Their pumpkin stuffed ravioli in brown butter sauce is super tasty, I'd kill for a plate of their polenta, and their wine list is long.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Malay Satay Hut, with locations in Seattle (ID), Redmond, and Portland. Great, pretty authentic Malaysian food with some Thai-style dishes as well. Their satay is done right (seasoned and marinated correctly, not just meat on a stick) and is second only to my mom's.

Other Seattle International District favorites: Sea Garden, Ho Ho, Honey Court.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ah yes, i eat at sea garden every time my mother comes to town, and malay satay hut in redmond is a favorite place to grab a quick lunch with microsoft types...

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Snacks - you're listing a lot of my favorite restaurants. :biggrin:

A couple places to check out if you haven't already.

Bick's Broadview Grill (N Greenwood) - A friend is the chef there. Very good, but got REALLY popular because it got recommended by Rachael Rey (Food Network lady).
Saltoro (N Greenwood) - Same owner as Bick's. A little less casual than Bick's but very good.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
OK, I'm dating myself here; but is there any pizza joint over there (particularly U-Disrict-ish) that rivals the old Great Green Society in Fremont or U-District's Food Factory or Piccolo's? I'd like to hit one next time I get over the hump to the wet side.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Definitely Luna Park Cafe - I live just up the hill from it and don't go there as much as I should. :shame:
Been to Jak's (W. Sea) a couple times and their steaks are phenominal.
My current addiction is Voula's Off Shore Cafe - 658 NE Northlake Way Seattle. They're only open until 2-3pm, but their Philly & fries (my co-workers and I call their fries "deep fried crack") is worth killing for. Excellent breakfast, etc. If you order the biscuit & gravy, keep in mind that it's a biscuit, not biscuits. I think the extra biscuit is a buck and some change.

Now I'm hungry!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
OK, I'm dating myself here; but is there any pizza joint over there (particularly U-Disrict-ish) that rivals the old Great Green Society in Fremont or U-District's Food Factory or Piccolo's? I'd like to hit one next time I get over the hump to the wet side.
It's more Wallingford than U-Dist, but Pudge Bros. is pretty damn good. I've yet to experience it, but supposedly Northlake Tavern burns a pretty mean pie.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Patty's Egg Nest
Good for Breakfast
Millcreek, and Monroe as far as I know

Old #3 Tavern in Ronald, WA (west of Rosalyn, WA):D
Burgers and Beer.
Order the Mother Load. (big burger!)

jubilee

Chimp
Mar 29, 2006
Earth
Also one in W. Seattle. Best ever EVER steaks,stuffed pork chops, and homemade salad dressing. Usually a wait, but well worth it! Kevin and I go for our birthday's every year.

Alki Cafe, (W. Seattle) for breaky. Really good home fries, not like the shredded brick you can get from some places.

Met Market, (W. Seattle & Queen Anne) Great Sushi for a great price. Made on site, melts in your mouth.

Wah Kue, (Burien) Chinese food. Not really authentic, but their almond chicken is awesome.

Cafe Ladro, (W.Seattle) coffee and desserts. Barista's are super ass cool, make drinks with lots of tasty foam. Homemade desserts....need I say more.
Hey Snacks and Five..... are you in W Sea? I just moved there....if you guys ride quite a bit, I'd love to meet some locals to ride with!:cheers:

Thai Tom in U-dist
Mashiko (sushi) in W Sea
Matador for $4 appies in W Sea
Circa in Admiral dist
Ohana in Belltown

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Buddha Ruksa (W Seattle) - My favorite Thai in Seattle, better than Wild Ginger, Typhoon, or Jai Thai (IMHO) www.buddharuksa.com

While it is good Thai food, it is certainly not the best in Seattle. The flavor does not compare to that of any dish found at Araya's in the U. Dist.

Other places people may find good eats at that I did not see posted

Coffee:
-C&P Coffee on Cali in W. Seattle - blackcherry mocha ftw
-Zoka's in the U. Dist (much better than the Zoka's in Greenlake)
-Java Bean right next to Luna Cafe in W. Seattle (a good cup of coffee if you happen to be in the area..plus their eggles are pretty good)
-Cafe Ladro on Cali in W. Seattle (they make a good coffee but it tends to be a bit weak so that extra shot is needed)

there are others, plenty of others..but those are the ones I frequent

Italian:
Salvatore on Roosevelt. Hands down one of the finest Italian ristorantes around (on the west coast anyways)

Good vegetarian eats:
Sunlight Cafe - on roosevelt

Brewpub:
Elliotbay Brewery on Cali in W.Seattle. No Doubt Stout is a wicked beer and the stout bbq burger is really good too (well with a veggie patty it is..I have no idea how the meat patty is)

Indian:
For when Cedars is packed to the rafters, drive up roosevelt (beyond scarecrow) and you will find Taste of India. The menu, tables, etc are all the same as Cedars (rumor has it Mohommad owns Taste of India as well as his famed Cedars) but the crowds are far thinner.

Back to work.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Damn, you guys all get out waaaay more than I do. Must be all that non-kid disposable income.

I'll second the Mexi-bus here in Monroe for quick lunch snack. Tijuana on Main after a ride is great too. Crooked old vinyl bench seats and great tasting, large portions for cheap.

Maltby Pizza (Aunt Mary's for red onions, garlic, and pepperoni!) is also good and the Snoqualmie Ice cream Company on the other side of the Cafe has killer ice cream for post ride too.

Don't forget the 59'er Diner at Coles Corner on Hwy 2 for shakes and sloppy burgers!

jubilee

Chimp
Mar 29, 2006
Earth
Coffee:
-C&P Coffee on Cali in W. Seattle - blackcherry mocha ftw
-Zoka's in the U. Dist (much better than the Zoka's in Greenlake)
-Java Bean right next to Luna Cafe in W. Seattle (a good cup of coffee if you happen to be in the area..plus their eggles are pretty good)
-Cafe Ladro on Cali in W. Seattle (they make a good coffee but it tends to be a bit weak so that extra shot is needed)
If you love coffee, you have to try Vivace across from the downtown REI. Used to buy Ladro beans, but my new high zoot espresso machine loves the Vivace Vita and Dolce blends.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Hey Snacks and Five..... are you in W Sea? I just moved there....if you guys ride quite a bit, I'd love to meet some locals to ride with!:cheers:
Snacks used to live in WS...but then she and Trailhacker moved up north somewhere - why I don't know. I live in WS - on California, across of the Post Office/Hotwire coffee.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Snacks used to live in WS...but then she and Trailhacker moved up north somewhere - why I don't know.

148th in crappy food land Shoreline. God, I miss the days of getting a bite at Elliot Bay Brewery, or some rich ice cream from Huskey Deli:rant:

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I live in White Center of West Seattle and I heartily recommend the taco truck La Fondita #2 - my favorite being the Tacquitos and they make the best Orchata (the rice drink). We like to stop off here on our way back from the Flow Park. White Center is the place to go for cheap, authentic Mexican food and anywhere along 16th Ave/Ambaun going south into Burien are taco trucks, carnicerias and Mexican groceries that make fresh tortillas. Conveniently located near the Marginal DH...

Also, never had a bad meal at Circa on California Ave in WS. And my favorite pizza is Northlake Tavern.

jubilee

Chimp
Mar 29, 2006
Earth
Snacks used to live in WS...but then she and Trailhacker moved up north somewhere - why I don't know. I live in WS - on California, across of the Post Office/Hotwire coffee.
We moved in 3 mo ago near 35th and Othello. W Sea is as cool as it gets...nice places to eat on Cali, Alki, Lincoln Park...and 10 min from downtown!:banana: